Looking for 2024 recommendations for setup

I have dabbled in and out of sim racing for years, but was always a little limited in terms of space, time, and finances available to freely invest in sim racing.

I will primarily be using PC and less frequently on a console (currently own PS5). I have previously owned the Logitech G25 and Thrustmaster wheel with the Ferrari rim for Xbox/PC (can’t remember model, but TX maybe?!). I did also have the older, original Thrustmaster F1 wheel add-on, and did prefer the feeling of using an F1 style wheel if possible, rather than the more standard round style wheels, particularly as I mostly do road/circuit racing and prefer open wheelers.

I have a PC with an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU and 128GB RAM, with a RTX 2080 GPU, and an PS5. I was previously playing Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Project Cars, F1, and RaceRoom’s DTM expansions, so a mixture of open wheel and GT style cars. I’m open to any current sim recommendations that is the best too, as I have not really dabbled for about 5 years by now probably.

What is a good, solid wheel that is a good purchase to make to get back into things from mid-2024 onwards? Also, any good cockpit or stand suggestions? I am also interested in exploring VR to improve immersion, so would welcome thoughts on the best affordable VR options currently available - is a PSVR2 worth it for games like Gran Turismo 7 on the PS5, and does it work (well) on the PC?

For the above, I’m not looking for top end stuff as it’ll be hard to justify the expense to the better half, but am more scoping our the best budget, affordable, and bang for buck that will provide a good sim racing experience.

Cheers in advance all! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Been doing some research, and still trying to decide. The purchases I'm contemplating are:

- PSVR 2 (virtual reality headset for use with PS5 and PC)
- Next Level Racing stand (undecided which one so far, so any recommendations welcome?)

For the wheel and pedals, I'm between:

- Logitech G29
- Logitech G923
- Thrustmaster T300 RS GT

I would have liked to be purchasing a direct drive system from Moza or Fanatec, but I have a budget of around £400 (£500 at a push) for the wheel, pedals, and stand, and I don't thin Moza do a PS5 compatible wheel and the Fanatec/PS relationship/licensing and eSports seem to artificially inflate the PS-compatible Fanatec wheels when compared to the Xbox compatible wheels.

Last edited:
Im surprised nobody has responded so far. Usually people are all over these topics, giving suggestions.

Have you considered a DIY rig made from wood? That would free up a good bit of money. There are some great plans you can find online and with a little paint, it can look presentable.

Im surprised nobody has responded so far. Usually people are all over these topics, giving suggestions.

Have you considered a DIY rig made from wood? That would free up a good bit of money. There are some great plans you can find online and with a little paint, it can look presentable.
I had not considered it, but now wondering why I never have!

Any good plans out there? I only need a wheel, pedal and seat rig as I will be using VR, so no monitor stand needed.

I had not considered it, but now wondering why I never have!

Any good plans out there? I only need a wheel, pedal and seat rig as I will be using VR, so no monitor stand needed.
I'm using a wooden "Deathmobile" which is very basic but easy to build and modify as required.
Mine is made of 4"x2" wood which I had laying around after some home DIY.
You can make it very rigid and you only need a hand saw and screwdriver to construct.

Or Open Sim Rigs for a range of plans.
They have a "2x4 Rig" which is a "Deathmobile" type design.

Last edited:
I wouldn't overlook the Quest 3 for PCVR simracing via a link cable. It's absolutely fantastic due to the pancake lenses. Right now I'm totally absorbed in AMS2 and free online racing via racecraft.online. Plus you can play a whole bunch of other VR games much more cheaply than PSVR either via PCVR again (wireless works surprisingly well) or by buying from the Quest store which tends to be cheaper than PS store and has more choice.

I've heard good things about the PSVR2 but I think if you've sim raced 'proper' sims before you might find GT7 a bit frustrating.

I wouldn't overlook the Quest 3 for PCVR simracing via a link cable. It's absolutely fantastic due to the pancake lenses. Right now I'm totally absorbed in AMS2 and free online racing via racecraft.online. Plus you can play a whole bunch of other VR games much more cheaply than PSVR either via PCVR again (wireless works surprisingly well) or by buying from the Quest store which tends to be cheaper than PS store and has more choice.

I've heard good things about the PSVR2 but I think if you've sim raced 'proper' sims before you might find GT7 a bit frustrating.
I already have the PSVR 2 and Sony recently announced the PC adapter is being released at the beginning of August. Some features don't work, but the PSVR 2 is still better than many PC VR headsets for the price, even with those features missing, from what I have read.

In the PS5 my intention is to play GT7 for the more fun side of things and ACC for the more serious sin racing side of things.

Latest News

Back