AC Frame rate limit, Freesync, I'm confused...

I'm confused on how to set up Assetto Corsa on my sim rig. The internal benchmark shows 184fps average, solo hotlapping shows 230-250fps. As I understand it, the frame rate limiter keeps the gpu from rendering frames it won't get to display...

But I've also got the "Gsync" box checked in the Nvidia software, and the monitors seem compatible as they have Freesync. Here's my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9-3900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Monitors: AOC C32G1
Res: 5760x1080

So the question is this: Should I set the frame rate limiter in AC to 144 (which is reflected in the in-game fps monitor), or should I set Gsync to "on" and ignore the 200+ fps shown in game?

• Deleted member 197115

GSync and VSync on, no framelimiter.
VSync can be in NVCPL or in game, doesn't matter with GSync (FreeSync), with regular monitors have it off in game and forced to Adaptive in NVCPL.
Also set Low latency setting in driver to On, this is replacement for older max prerendered frames.

GSync and VSync on, no framelimiter.
VSync can be in NVCPL or in game, doesn't matter with GSync (FreeSync), with regular monitors have it off in game and forced to Adaptive in NVCPL.
Also set Low latency setting in driver to On, this is replacement for older max prerendered frames.
NVCPL has these settings:

Vertical sync: Off/On/Fast
Low Latency Mode: On/Ultra

With both set to "On", the fps locks to 144 and the FT in Render stats is around 7.

With Vsync set to "Fast or Low Latency set to "Ultra" (or both), the fps runs 220-230 and the FT is around 4. Given the apparently lower frame time, this the preferred setting?

Is this actually overclocking the monitors? If so, I have no problem with that.

• Deleted member 197115

nVidia's Fast Sync is for those of us without adaptive sync monitors.
Not really, that would be Adaptive VSync, Fast Sync is different beast and only works right and meant for super high fps to lower latency.

Freesync and gsync have a working range but don't limit the fps to that range. Which leads to some confusion usually...
If your fps drop below or go above the working range, it still shows as active but it is not!

So you have to do 2 things usually:
1. Get freesync/gsync to work
2. Keep the fps within the working range

Keeping it above the lower limit is easily done by reducing settings.
Keeping it from going beyond the working range can be done with:
- Vsync
- Limiters
- Raising settings until your system can't go beyond anymore

Now the problem with higher settings is inconsistent fps and stuttering. The problem with vsync is that it gives higher input lag.
At 165 Hz/fps you won't notice the difference but at a 75 hz monitor with 75 fps+vsync you'll definitely notice the lag!

So the general advice is to limit the fps 1 fps below the maximum hz of your monitor.
But limiters always fluctuate a little and don't limit perfectly without little hiccups so with only 1 fps difference, vsync might kick in sometimes.

So I always limit at 3 fps below the max hz of the monitor.
75 Hz Monitor = 72 fps limit

Interestingly some techy people advice to use vsync no matter what. They found out that freesync and gsync make the monitor wait for the gpu when the fps go down.
But without vsync the gpu won't wait for the monitor if the fps go up again.
Normally you don't notice this since the tearing you get from this only lasts one frame.
The monitor accelerates to higher hz pretty quickly but in theory the gpu shoves in a new frame before the monitor is done displaying the current frame.

Or I'm confusing things but anyway.
3 fps below max hz limit + vsync forces in the drivers.
Thats the way to go!
And you should use the driver vsync, not ingame vsync.
Gsync/freesync happens in the driver, let vsync happening there too.

Last edited:
Not really, that would be Adaptive VSync, Fast Sync is different beast and only works right and meant for super high fps to lower latency.
I find you don't need super high fps for it to work. I've also noted that most of the people who say it doesn't work for them have adaptive sync monitors.

I find you don't need super high fps for it to work. I've also noted that most of the people who say it doesn't work for them have adaptive sync monitors.
Didn't have my gsync monitor for a long time and fast sync was always awful when I tried it. Awful on my 970 and awful on my 1070.
60 Hz Monitor though. Maybe it's better with higher hz.
For me I had a mix of really smooth and massive stuttering. Sometimes 2 minutes totally fine and I thought this time Nvidia got it right with an update and a few minutes later it was stuttering in crucial moments.
Nothing better than a few microstutters when turning in for the Mutkurve on the Nordschleife...

In the end I always used normal vsync with Riva tuner limiter set to 59.97 fps. Low input lag, very small and barely noticeable and consistent microstutters.

• Deleted member 197115

NVidia words on Fast Sync
"In general, Fast Sync is designed to benefit games that are running with very fast native render rates (3 times or more the rate of the refresh on you monitor) "

Anything below that and you will see some stuttering.

Amazing how conflicting recommendations are on Vsync usage, including some exotic approaches with frame limiter, etc.

My experience, including playing lots of first/third person shooters:
1) Most important is to limit render queue length, Low Latency setting to On (equivalent max prerendered fames = 1 in older drivers). This is where the most lag comes from.
2) Conventional fixed refresh rate monitor - disable VSync in game, set to Adaptive in NVidia driver
3) Free/GSync monitor - enable monitor refresh rate sync, but still limit upper fps limit via VSync (set to On, in game or driver, doesn't matter)

NVidia words on Fast Sync
"In general, Fast Sync is designed to benefit games that are running with very fast native render rates (3 times or more the rate of the refresh on you monitor) "

Anything below that and you will see some stuttering.

Amazing how conflicting recommendations are on Vsync usage, including some exotic approaches with frame limiter, etc.

My experience, including playing lots of first/third person shooters:
1) Most important is to limit render queue length, Low Latency setting to On (equivalent max prerendered fames = 1 in older drivers). This is where the most lag comes from.
2) Conventional fixed refresh rate monitor - disable VSync in game, set to Adaptive in NVidia driver
3) Free/GSync monitor - enable monitor refresh rate sync, but still limit upper fps limit via VSync (set to On, in game or driver, doesn't matter)
We're on the same page with fast sync. The funny thing is that with my old monitor, I couldn't see tearing above 150 fps anyway. The tearing steps became too little.
I played quite a bit cs:go and always limited the fps to 200 and it was fine. In fact I was better without vsync than I was with fast sync. Maybe because getting the latest/current frame shown, even with a tear somewhere got me an advantage as I saw things in the corners of my eyes earlier?

Whatever..

About vsync: your 3 points are basically what I used before my in-depth research over some holidays.
Not wrong, but not the best I'd say.
Adaptive sync is great but you can't do the input lag trick with limiting 0.xx fps below the refresh rate.
This trick basically keeps the buffer empty until there's a stutter.
I didn't fully understand this but it's basically:
60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 30 60 60

But only once a second or so. It's a consistent and very very little hiccup when the buffer is empty and needs the monitor to display the current frame twice.
But the input lag is massively reduced!

Using adaptive sync with this deactivates vsync as it never kicks in.

The problem with all my approaches to this topic though:
You need perfectly stable fps. So I need to reduce settings until the limit and the minimum fps are the same.
Gsync is great as I don't drop to 30 fps when the fps drop from 60 to let's say 55.
Giving me some higher settings for most of the time and some 50-59 fps moments at race starts for example.

I have to say I still feel stuttering with gsync, when the fps are fluctuating too much. Which makes sense as gsync only kills tearing but the difference in smoothness/frame pacing is still there.

So I always use a limiter, even with gsync, to have stable fps.

Frame queue: from my own testing I couldn't produce any input lag with gsync, no matter if 1 or 8 prerendered frames.
Which makes kinda sense: you simply get the current frame displayed, the vsync buffer isn't used since the monitor can wait for the gpu if needed.

If you use gsync + vsync and then hit the upper limit with 8 prerendered frames it's like hitting butter though :D

Most of my info comes from 3 years of having too much time to test everything myself between jobs and these 2 sites:.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Low latency at Ultra will keep buffer empty, if that's the goal.
And may be I misunderstood your example but Adaptive VSync doesn't drop to 30 like traditional one, it just doesn't do anything at fps below refresh rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low latency at Ultra will keep buffer empty, if that's the goal.
And may be I misunderstood your example but Adaptive VSync doesn't drop to 30 like traditional one, it just doesn't do anything at fps below refresh rate.
I'm yet to test 60 Hz + normal vsync + low latency at ultra. My testing was made with prerendered frame at 1.
I'm not sure if that setting keeps the vsync buffer empty though or just the additional queuing.

I probably didn't write my longish post structured enough, sorry.
You're totally right, adaptive vsync doesn't do anything below full 60 fps in my example.
The problem is, that you can't use it + the low input lag trick with limiter set to 59.97 fps.
Even these little 0.03 fps below the refresh rate disables adaptive vsync.

I'd love a possibility to use adaptive vsync + the trick so vsync would stay active until you drop below 59.8 fps or something, giving the microstutter instead of tearing.

So in testing my new 2080 today with 75hz freesync I was encountering the odd blackscreen issue on my right hand side triple.
Anyone any advise on getting rid of this?

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 494 69.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 303 42.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 327 45.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 154 21.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 195 27.2%
Back