Button Box Knobs

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
With inspiration from @Chris Haye , I finally built myself a button box. As with just about any DIY project, there are some things I would do differently and I plan to buy another project box to do so.

I'm trying to find some things on Amazon, but searching has proved difficult as this is outside of the algorithm's wheelhouse. Any idea where I could get a springy knob like I have on my Thrustmaster rim? I like using that for adjusting brake balance and I want to use it for TC, ABS, rollbars, etc. It reads a momentary press when you turn it and then it springs back to neutral. The buttons I have work OK, but I think I would like that better. I use VR, so anything that makes it easier to "grab" is good. Searching for this on Amazon has been...difficult.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks!

Not sure what exactly you mean by "springy knob", but i guess what you are looking for is the term "momentary switch". They come as toggle, rocker or rotary switches and return to their neutral position after activation. Sometimes the activation is given as (ON)-OFF-(ON), where the parentheses indicate the momentary characteristic. (Note however, that there are also mixed types like ON-OFF-(ON) and also two-position versions like (ON)-OFF or (ON)-ON, so check exactly what you will get before ordering)

Not sure what exactly you mean by "springy knob", but i guess what you are looking for is the term "momentary switch". They come as toggle, rocker or rotary switches and return to their neutral position after activation. Sometimes the activation is given as (ON)-OFF-(ON), where the parentheses indicate the momentary characteristic. (Note however, that there are also mixed types like ON-OFF-(ON) and also two-position versions like (ON)-OFF or (ON)-ON, so check exactly what you will get before ordering)
Yes, that's what I've been looking for. I've actually searched for "rotary momentary switch," but I think only on Amazon. I'll keep digging, depending on how badly I decide that I want this.

EDIT - apparently, I hadn't put the right search terms together. But after doing a bit of research, I can get a 3 pack of rocker switches on Amazon that should be perfect for what I want to do. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 451 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 298 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 174 26.9%
Back