Indy Car and CART

I have come to really hate AC with Indy car and CART mods at Indy Oval. Totally sucks. The cars crash all the time and the one your driving doesn't turn well in the corners. Yes, I do have it set on Oval for the cars.

I can't speak to how the cars drive personally, but if you're talking about AI, this isn't a surprise to me. Oval racing (especially in high-downforce cars like Indycars) requires very particular forms of racecraft that AI designed for road racing racecraft won't necessarily do – and indeed, the AI in AC does not do those things. For example, overtaking in the Indy 500 doesn't work by outbraking into heavy braking zones like F1. Also, I've heard that very high-power cars (esp. like CART) tend to cause problems for AC AI, who seem to struggle to get the power down sufficiently smoothly (and this is only exacerbated by the fact they run on player physics).

So anyways, I'm sorry that it hasn't been a great experience. But (if I understand correctly) you're trying to do something that AC isn't built for, and expectations should be kept accordingly low. Despite the fact that the car mods you're driving may be very high quality.

PS Part of why I know about this is precisely because I was interested in doing the same as you in the past! So I feel your pain.

I can't speak to how the cars drive personally, but if you're talking about AI, this isn't a surprise to me. Oval racing (especially in high-downforce cars like Indycars) requires very particular forms of racecraft that AI designed for road racing racecraft won't necessarily do – and indeed, the AI in AC does not do those things. For example, overtaking in the Indy 500 doesn't work by outbraking into heavy braking zones like F1. Also, I've heard that very high-power cars (esp. like CART) tend to cause problems for AC AI, who seem to struggle to get the power down sufficiently smoothly (and this is only exacerbated by the fact they run on player physics).

So anyways, I'm sorry that it hasn't been a great experience. But (if I understand correctly) you're trying to do something that AC isn't built for, and expectations should be kept accordingly low. Despite the fact that the car mods you're driving may be very high quality.

PS Part of why I know about this is precisely because I was interested in doing the same as you in the past! So I feel your pain.
Thanks for the info. I find that they work better in RRE and RF2.

I’ve been using the VRC NA 1999 a lot lately. Here are some things I’ve noticed:

1) Only use the oval version on superspeedways (Indy, Michigan)

2) How you set up your car is very important.

3) Sharing your setup with the AI cars by saving it as ai_default can be helpful.

4) How the AI lines are drawn for the track is super important. You might have to re-do these yourself sometimes. I’ve been sharing some on the site when I can. Sidelines is super important, not having the fast lane too close to the wall is important, making sure you have a safe line in/out of the pits is important.

5) If you’re doing a race weekend, make sure you give the AI plenty of practice and qualifying time, otherwise you’ll see a few immediately dive straight toward the pits at the start of the race, screwing everything up.

6) How you personally drive is critical. If you’re driving like a maniac, it’s going to screw all the AI cars up.

7) Editing the gas consumption and tyre wear so that you’re close to running out of gas at same time the tyres are going out is helpful because the AI won’t pit just for tyres but will change their tyres if they are out of gas.

So there’s a lot of things that go into it and oval racing obviously isn’t perfect, but there are steps you can take to have awesome races that last 100+ laps.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the VRC NA 1999 a lot lately. Here are some things I’ve noticed:

1) Only use the oval version on superspeedways (Indy, Michigan)

2) How you setup your car is very important.

3) Sharing your setup with the AI cars by saving it as ai.default can be helpful.

4) How the AI lines are drawn for the track is super important. You might have to re-do these yourself sometimes. I’ve been sharing some on the site when I can. Sidelines is super important, not having the fast lane too close to the wall is important, making sure you have a safe line in/out of the pits is important.

5) If you’re doing a race weekend, make sure you give the AI plenty of practice and qualifying time, otherwise you’ll see a few immediately dive straight toward the pits at the start of the race, screwing everything up.

6) How you personally drive is critical. If you’re driving like a maniac, it’s going to screw all the AI cars up.

7) Editing the gas consumption and tyre wear so that you’re close to running out of gas at same time the tyres are going out is helpful because the AI won’t pit just for tyres but will change their tyres if they are out of gas.

So there’s a lot of things that go into it and oval racing obviously isn’t perfect, but there are steps you can take to have awesome races that last 100+ laps.
Alot of work for that.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 19 33.9%