1080 Ti upgrade

2080 s would be an upgrade but not one worthy of the dollar difference ! Either be silly and get the 2080Ti now and then feel massive buyers remorse in the near future when 3080Ti is here or just wait for the next nvidia beast to drop and bend over and let Jensen have fun with your bum :o
Im also in the "what to do with my 1080Ti?" boat and have been ever since the first Turing rumors ! Certainly glad i didnt sell it back then , id have that sellers remorse because nothing in the 20xx series is worthy of my dollars .
If you need to spend money on your rig or PC spend it elsewhere and wait , i did just that by buying triples ! Best move ever !!!!!

The answer is there isn't yet, wait for a few months for AMD and Nvidia to release their new next gen cards. I think both are making announcements in March on upcoming lineups. But its not going to be until Computex in June before we know for sure.
AMD sounds like its going for broke with a 6000 series set of cards, the top SKU is said to "disrupt the 4k market" its going to have raytracing and use the same tech that will be in the new Xbox and PS5, Nvidia on the other hand will react as they usually do with whatever it takes to get one over AMD and stay on top. Fingers crossed it will be exciting times again like it was back in the ATI days.

Last 2 years have been absolutely rubbish for GPU's TBH.

The 2080ti will be a big disappointment if you come from a 1080ti, so if you can avoid it please don't buy one.

If you currently have a 1080 Ti then there's no value for money upgrade on the market at the moment. Even going for an RTX 2080 Ti you're unlikely to find more than a 30% improvement depending on workload, and the 2080 Super is only a couple of percentage points ahead overall which means you probably won't notice a difference.

Keep the 1080 Ti until the next generation of cards come through. Given that this is likely to be sooner rather than later then my advice would be to avoid buying any video card at the moment unless it's an emergency.

I agree the 2080Ti is over priced. I got one anyway just because my 1080Ti was on the border too many times with my Valve Index. I waited until I got the Index and all the initial production issues with the 2080Ti were worked out.

For iRacing the 2080Ti finally paid off. First I can run 120 fps all the time and now with the recent RTX only feature VRSS Nvidia focuses extra anti aliasing and sharpening in the very center of your viewing area and that looks fantastic.

No buyers remorse here! RTX finally paid off.

In my humble opinion you just cannot keep upgrading ( unfortunately ) the GPU and ignore the CPU, come to think of it the mother board and ram type and speed too.:)

( talking about race sims , mainly AC and ACC )

I built a PC late last year and opted to go for a 2080Ti as I liked playing for NOW... can't say I regret it as its handled pretty much everything I threw at it. Had a 1070 before and its like night and day ...

Id say if you can afford it there IS an improvement but if it is worth it to you only you can say...

As others have said there currently is no logical upgrade from the 1080 Ti.
The diminishing return is just too steep to go from it to a 2080 'anything' at this point.
That card was not made for the masses and as such, had a lot of performance packed in...be it for a lot of money at the time.
The massive 11 GB of memory is still relevant in many modern games and does not give up a lot to the slightly faster 8 GB of the 2070.
Your other option is to wait until the new 3-series of cards are launched and then pick up one of the reduced re-sold 2080 at a better price than what is current.
They're always guys off-loading for the newest 'thing'.
It still won't be cheap...but it'll be better.

The 3000 series has been delayed until September.

Yes and that rumor also says to expect only the professional Quadro series being released at that time and not gaming GPU's. It's just Computex and they might just announce it and nothing more. But saying September sounds better than what AMD is saying so...

However seeing as AMD have announced Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) CPU's and RDNA 2.0 GPUs are going to be released at the same time in October, i'd expect you will not see Nvidia release their 3000 series gaming GPU's until AMD released theirs first.

Looking forward to it, hope it's actually a battle and not a slaughter. If there is good competition, maybe you won't have to spend over a grand for the top end gaming GPU. Who knows.

The 3000 series has been delayed until September.

In many ways I'm quite happy about that as I'm getting a second RTX 2080 Ti / 9900K rig delivered tomorrow for a dedicated racing sim setup.

Of course as soon as the 3080 Ti is released I'll be all over it.

Stick with your 1080ti till later this year when the 3000 series from nvidea comes out. New CPU's coming at the same time as well. Saying this because as others point out it's such a small upgrade now and not worth it. Unless you got cash to burn that is !

Stick with your 1080ti till later this year when the 3000 series from nvidea comes out. New CPU's coming at the same time as well. Saying this because as others point out it's such a small upgrade now and not worth it. Unless you got cash to burn that is !

I had just posted the following on another thread.

I'm not upgrading my computer until I'm getting a new CPU, MB with faster memory, new Video card and new VR headset.

My i9-9900K, 2080Ti and Valve Index appear well matched.

I'm not biting on anything until the new 3080Ti is here with new higher bandwidth DP support, Intel releases their new 7nm CPU's and VR headsets support the latest DP standard which wont happen until at least end of the year.

However I will say the 2080Ti has been worth it to me. It's not a lot more powerful, but my 1080Ti was right on the edge and sometimes it didn't quite do it. Now I don't worry it.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Porsche

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • BMW

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • McLaren

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Toyota

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Intel

Votes: 13 15.1%