1979 Classic GP Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tests revealed that our car and driver are about where we are expecting them. We are confident that when the new Alfa engine becomes available, our drivers will be able to take full advantage of it.

Updates won't happen today. Tomorrow I'll do them and get everything ready for the season. I'm hoping to run the first race next week. :thumbsup:

Ok, all game files are updated and all discussions are updated with updated chassis information (if any) and updated funds.

So we're ready get the 1979 season going!

The last and only thing managers have to do during the season is to decide on the development money invested per race. This can be a little confusing task the first time so I strongly suggest everyone read the info about it through one more time: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/1979-classic-gp-manager.102091/#post-1952115

In a nutshell I expect every manager (who wishes or affords) to develop their chassis to indicate the amount of money (100cr-500cr) and the target (performance/reliability) of their investment.
This can be done on a race-by-race basis or you can determine the money you want to invest per race as far to the future as you wish or until the development is finished. There will be a notification when your engineers have completed the development of new parts.

Here are a few examples of how you can handle the development: (money and target are just examples)

If you wish to determine the money only for the next race:
200cr, performance

If you wish to determine the money for the whole season:
200cr, performance the first 10 races
150cr, performance next 2 races
0cr for the last races

If you wish to determine the money until development is completed:
200cr until performance develops
then 350cr until reliability develops
then 100cr until performance develops

Note! You can change the amount of development investment as many times during the season and between races as you wish!

Note for teams that are building a new chassis! Building a new chassis requires an investment of at least 100cr per race or the new chassis development will be put on hold.

First race of the season is scheduled to take place next Wednesday at 16:30 GMT.

FAILURE TO POST YOUR DEVELOPMENT INVESTMENT (via PM or in this thread) BEFORE Wednesday 16:30 GMT RESULTS IN NO DEVELOPMENT BETWEEN TESTING AND THE FIRST RACE.

If you have any questions (as I bet you do!) feel free to ask and I'll help you.

Last edited:
1979 Argentine Grand Prix

Pre-qualifying
The prequalifying session took place on Friday morning. Alfa Romeo, Ensign and Team Rebaque took part in the 45 minute session. Héctor Rebaque was the fastest man just barely beating his experienced teammate Jochen Mass. Ensign was the unlucky team to be sent packing after poor displays by Jabouille and Colombo.

1KARSINTA.jpg

Qualifying

The two qualifying sessions were run in a similar fashion already used to in the pre-season tests. Ferrari's Carlos Reutemann and Alan Jones were the leading drivers in both sessions. Renault's Gilles Villeneuve surprised many with his great pace, threatening the Ferraris' front row lockout. Didier Pironi improved vastly from poor test grabbing fourth ahead of Lauda and the Lotus of Derek Daly who outqualified his teammate Eddie Cheever by a massive margin.
Jody Scheckter was seventh ahead of veteran Clay Regazzoni who showed his true speed improving his pre-quali time by over a second and dominating his teammate Harald Ertl. Another two surprise names, Riccardo Patrese and Renzo Zorzi rounded out the top-10. Further down the list we can find the McLarens in the eigth row and the Ligiers in 17th and 26th starting position. Latter's Japanese rookie Noritake Takahara really had to give his all to qualify for the race.

1AIKAAJO.jpg

Race
The start was clean. Jones and Reutemann switched positions a few times with Lauda following in 3rd. Lammers got a puncture after making contact with Rahal and had to retire. Soon he would get company as Lauda's, Rosberg's and Scheckter's Cosworth engines gave up simultaneously.

Pironi inherited third place and visited briefly in the lead after Jones' engine also gave up. Pironi was soon to run into problems too though as a missed gear change broke his gearbox. After 15 laps the top three was Reutemann, Villeneuve and Daly. English youngster Rupert Keegan was also having a terrific race, he was already up to fourth ahead of Arnoux and Piquet.

As the race matured there weren't that many changes in the lead other than retirements. Villeneuve crashed out after his suspension failed and soon afterwards Piquet joined the crash site due to a punctured tyre. Arnoux rose to fourth but he too had to retire due to turbo problems.

These events opened the door to Emerson Fittipaldi and Riccardo Patrese who finished 5th and 6th. But the drivers of the day were those in top four positions! Carlos Reutemann had a solid race leading over 40 laps and crossing the finish line first. Derek Daly was second but the biggest shock of the day was Rupert Keegan's phenomenal drive to third. One shall not underestimate Jochen Mass' superb either - fourth place after having to go through pre-qualifying is a great achievement.

1KISA.jpg

- - - - -

The development market for the second race is open! You have until Sunday 16:00 EEST to make/modify your you investments.

The discussions and championship tables (in the third post) will be updated soon.

E: Some teams have wrong engine supplier names in the results. This is purely a visual glitch, the simulation wsa made with correct engine suppliers and values.

that looked like an interesting race! Zorzi in the top 10, and de Vilotta also in the low midfield really amazed me! :confused:

Sadly, bad reliability for Zorzi, this was a nice chance to get some points. Someone's getting shot here at Arrows!

upVfcnu.png

Unfortunately our poor reliability prevented us from getting a good result today. The quali pace was good, especially Didier showed a massive improvement compared to testing. A double retirement however is not how we wanted to start this season.

• Deleted member 161052

Ligier described their weekend at the 1979 Argentine Grand Prix as "half-good" because their driver, Noritake Takahara, finished in the Top 10.
"It was a nice finish for the team", the team manager added in an interview.
Meanwhile, Tambay was disappointed how his engine blew out during the race.

weird Ertl pass when my driver faster than him didnt....

I think to be fair with everyone, everyone should have the same luck to be in the top because i think its too based historically and season after season we know who will always be at the end and whos not..

And wasnt really fair the first member who subcribe firstly got the better team and the last one the Junk one.

If Ensign i condamned to be out 3 quarter of the season in the race, i have no real reason to participate to the game... in my opinion, i think some thing need to be revise to get everyone on the grid at the race....

Last edited by a moderator:
weird Ertl pass when my driver faster than him didnt....
It's because of restriction of the simulation software. The pre-qualifying is run separately to the rest of the weekend and there is only room for 14 teams in qualifying so the two best teams will advance from pre-qualifying.

I think to be fair with everyone, everyone should have the same luck to be in the top because i think its too based historically and season after season we know who will always be at the end and whos not..

And wasnt really fair the first member who subcribe firstly got the better team and the last one the Junk one.

If Ensign i condamned to be out 3 quarter of the season in the race, i have no real reason to participate to the game... in my opinion, i think some thing need to be revise to get everyone on the grid at the race....
Tho whole point of the game is to create an alternative history. So in the first season the performances are based on real 1979 performances. This has been made clear from the start.

But from the next season onwards (and already to be honest) the relative performances will change a lot. So it can in no way be predicted which team will be good in which year. Making your team the winner requires good managing and some luck. Ferrari surely is a lot better than Ensign at the moment and your team will probably have a very hard time getting any points this season. But that's the challenge and no one knows what will happen in the future ;)

You had the choice of Ligier and Renault (both race winners in 1979) available when you joined the game but you chose Ensign instead.

e. In my honest opinion managing a team like Minardi or Ensign can be at least as rewarding as managing a big team like Ferrari or Williams.

Tho whole point of the game is to create an alternative history. So in the first season the performances are based on real 1979 performances. This has been made clear from the start.

But from the next season onwards (and already to be honest) the relative performances will change a lot. So it can in no way be predicted which team will be good in which year. Making your team the winner requires good managing and some luck. Ferrari surely is a lot better than Ensign at the moment and your team will probably have a very hard time getting any points this season. But that's the challenge and no one knows what will happen in the future ;)

You had the choice of Ligier and Renault (both race winners in 1979) available when you joined the game but you chose Ensign instead.

Wasnt really know i can never saw my own car exlude of the race... at least let everyone be at the race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 482 69.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 294 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 318 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 147 21.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.4%
Back