AC Modding Questions Thread

Hey guys, can somebody give me some tips about AI please? How can I make the AI faster in a specific car? I fiddled with some values in the ai.ini file, but I would like to understand more about the subject. Thanks!
best is to use the AI app ingame. AFAIk it needs an unlocked data folder (no data.acd) to actually save changes.
Load the car in Hotlap mode, hit Ctrl-G to change the car to automatic shifting if its an h-gate box, hit Ctrl-C to start in "AI driving mode", then fiddle with the value in the AI app and observe what the AI is doing with the car
6.jpg

It's a lot of trail and error, but imo Tires hint changes mostly how a car exits a turn (put it high and it will powerslide out of corners), Aero hint is most important in high speed corners (like Klostertal on Nords), Brake hint pretty straight forward on corner entry. Not really sure what Steer LA (Look Ahead) does, but if you change around Steer gain you'll see the car taking different radiuses trough turns. Really just let it run and play with the values

Last edited:
This may be slightly off topic as it's not really a technical question. But can anyone point me in the direction of any documentation about the Custom Shaders Patch model replacement feature? Is see the [IER Simulations] Ferrari 458 GT3 is based on the kunos GT2 model but only updates certain meshes via CSP. Is there anywhere I can read up on this to bring myself up to speed?

On that note, Endulights shouldn’t really be on here IMO since I think it’s just cutting holes into KS meshes and uploading them again.

Anyway there isn’t really actual documentation for it, but if you look at Stereo’s E30 wheels and the file structure, you can probably get an idea for how it works.

Does anyone know how to add lights to a model in general? Is it creating separate meshes, making them emissive and telling the lights.ini where they are? Can't seem to find documentation on that.

I'm looking to add interior and exterior lights to my model. Right now I have zero working lights.

Is it even possible to export multiple animations into one FBX file in blender? I've been trying to animate wipers on a car for hours, but everytime one wiper is yonked in completely different direction and only the other one works.

Yeah just select all the empties that move and export them. It turns animation or constraints into location/rotation/scale keyframes for every object. Ideally you'd want 100 frames cause the kseditor is gonna convert it into that by interpolating from however many you provide, so by starting with 100 you can confirm in blender that every frame looks ok.

For wipers you probably want at least 3 empties per wiper to make animating it straightforward - a root one that doesn't move but rotates the axes to more convenient ones (so eg. the Y axis of this empty is sticking straight through the windshield), then one that rotates the arm around that axis and one that tilts the blade on the arm, with separate arm and blade meshes as children of the latter two empties. In that cause you'd select the 3 empties of each wiper, plus any potential parents of them, and export those as an fbx.

Info about the empty placement will be helpful in the future, thank you for that. I still have trouble with getting the basics to work, however.
ksEditor_2019-08-25_19-21-44.png
The wiper on the right animates correctly, meanwhile the wiper on the left is placed in a completely wrong direction. they both are placed (and animate) correctly in blender.
upload_2019-8-25_19-29-5.png

Am I missing out on something?

Info about the empty placement will be helpful in the future, thank you for that. I still have trouble with getting the basics to work, however. View attachment 321572 The wiper on the right animates correctly, meanwhile the wiper on the left is placed in a completely wrong direction. they both are placed (and animate) correctly in blender.
View attachment 321573
Am I missing out on something?
Which fbx format are you exporting in? Try setting up an additional empty that these two then get patented to.

I don't understand the question about the FBX format, what other formats are there? and setting up an additional empty didn't work, unfortunately.
In Blender 2.79 at least one could choose between fbx "binary" and fbx "ASCII". IIRC only ASCII did import correctly for me into kseditor

It's also a kinda 50-50 shot cause it's not very polished, but in this thread I wrote a Blender plugin that can export straight to ksanim files without involving fbx. You should only pick 'selected objects' and leave rename/reverse alone.

It doesn't do the root node transforms properly (swapping from xyz to xz-y) so you should only select empties that have parents, cause their local coordinate systems are corrected.

Dont know if this is a dumb question, but I'm learning how to do car mods, and I'm learning some stuff all by myself, but with the aero I just can't. I watched Donut's Media video about lift and drag and I barely know what are those, but I have no clue with the luts. Thanks

It's also a kinda 50-50 shot cause it's not very polished, but in this thread I wrote a Blender plugin that can export straight to ksanim files without involving fbx. You should only pick 'selected objects' and leave rename/reverse alone.

It doesn't do the root node transforms properly (swapping from xyz to xz-y) so you should only select empties that have parents, cause their local coordinate systems are corrected.
11.jpg

seems like it does not

More of a dumb answer than a question but maybe it'll help someone: if you're ever trying to add txDirty textures to ksTyres and can't figure out why they won't work, go into the Shader Patch settings in Content Manager and switch off 'Tyres FX'. Enjoy your dirt.

Of course, I didn't work this out until I'd spent a couple of hours, last night, scratching my head and trying everything else I could think of :mad:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 1.2%