Alright when was that again.....?

I've seen more RACING at the 24h LM (esp. GTE classes) than in 1:20 of a F1 "race". So it's not the "endurance elements" (which ones BTW?).
Endurance elements meaning one tank of fuel for the entire race and limited sets of tires.

Which is kind of ironic because in endurance racing refueling is allowed and if i'm not mistaken they can use all the tires in the world.

So yeah you're right, i should call it "cost cutting elements" or "efficiency elements". By call it endurance elements i'm insulting the amazing world of endurance racing.

The thing with domination is, if you are a fan of the driver/team that is dominating you don't see it as such. And the ones complaining are just whining because the build a worser car. I don't remember much complaining about domination in Germany when Schumacher won all his titles.
Ever since they are trying to "adapt" F1 to modern times and standards it is on the downslide as far as I am concerned. I understand the need to change and to adapt the rules but if something doesn't work get rid of it ! Don't implement another thing to fix one that doesn't work.

Having drivers race for qualifying in equal cars won't change much. You'd get a little more exitement in the early stages but that's about it. Just takes a couple of laps longer until the Mercs are in front again.
Make the rules simpler not more complicated. Build cars that are simple, that can break out in corners, that don't take a 90 degree turn at 150 mph. Build in the possibility for mistakes.

I was laughing last weekend about drivers saying "tires are peep" and engineers trying to cool them down repeatedly that they have to live with them. That's not racing in my eyes. A driver (Kwyat ?) wanted to change to slicks after formation lap and was not allowed to by his team. That's ridicolous.

Of course that's is just one (my) opinion and I do get it that people are OK with todays F1 and that's fine by me. In the end, no matter what the state of F1 is - there will always be those complaining.

The more you remove the rules, the more you allow the teams with larger budget and more innovations to run away from the rest. Just for this year alone, Mercedes came up with DAS and new suspension concepts plus other things, which now made their car a second faster than competition on a track like Hungaroring that is just corners. If you remove the restrictions, the gap could easily build up to 3-5 seconds in Mercedes' favour if we are unlucky.

If you want a better show where drivers are at the center point, not the cars, the only solution is to limit the engineers in a way or another.
Regulations (not rules, different things) serve only the big budget teams because the don't allow the small budget ones to use third party products/innovations. They don't have enough money to develop their own stuff so they will have to use second grade stuff, made by their own competitors. How is this any good for F1 and any motorsport for that matter?

With less regulation, you give the small budget teams the option to use stuff that would not be allowed otherwise. Innovations and hardware made by third party manufacturers at half the cost, thus giving them a better chance. Not to win a championship, but at the very least be "competitive" and not just moving advertisements.

The only other alternative would be even more regulation that would force the big budget teams to share every single system and innovation with everyone who's interested in using it. But then of course the big budget teams would say "ok bye".

So the only realistic way to help small budget teams is the reduction of regulations. To allow them to use cheaper alternatives to what their big budget competitors are offering.

Changing too my variables at once is never a good idea, surely. Massively different cars on the way, why not see how they work out? It will have taken 40 years to realise ground effect is the way, why rush changing anything else... *

* maybe except getting rid of paywalls. #UpYoursMurdoch

As a long time F1 enthusiast (since 1975) I see the talk of "today's races are boring" come and go. I don't agree. There have been many races in the past which were terrible boring to watch compared to races we have seen de last couple of years.

I also see races in other classes which are much more exciting to watch. I really don't believe changing the free practice and qualifying format will help to make F1 races more exciting to watch.

The main difference between other classes and F1: close racing. The way F1 cars are designed makes close racing difficult. That should change. And the breaks are way too strong, the breaking zone is too short. Longer breaking zones give more space for overtaking.

Great idea, but we all know that this, sadly, will never happen.

And also because F1 stands for Formula cars, why not use a formula car developed by e.g the FIA which is the same for the whole grid.
Yes that would make sense as there will be no debate over parts. Ros Brawn says copying ideas is part of the DNA of F1 so eventually it could turn into a spec series. I would like different power units that can be implemented into a Generic chassis. And constructors championship could be points earned by power units. Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Honda ect. As long as field is even with same number of power units per manufacturer.

The problem is slipstreaming is hard to do in F1. Basically in the 90's the coke bottle at the back that tapers behind rear wheels was square and blocky. Creating a large vacuum behind to slipstream. Over the years this area has shrunk lower and tighter. Making the vacuum as small as possible so it is more of a parade. The new Airo package will fix it.

Not a bad idea, at all!
But If F1 is in the mood to make big changes, what about ending the team drivers and making F1 drivers? In this way, F1 can make a championship where each race, a driver drives for a different team. So, in the first race of the season, for example, Hamilton drives for Ferrari and in the second race of the season, he drives for Red Bull and go on. Along the season every driver will driver for every team. The decision of each driver will driver for each team in each race can be decided by public, by draw or any other interesting way. IMO this idea would give us a better driver championship and it would be not just more fair driver championship but also more fun.

Shumacher was a deplorable cheater and he doesn't need to be around today to debate it. He did what he did in his career because he decided to do those things. Only an idiot would support someone who was a cheater in their job or sport, so what does that say about you really?
COMPLETELY agree with this statement. He had talent but no honour at all. Despicable driver imo. As a Hondafan there's not much fun seeing Hamilton win everything but the day he equals Schumi's 'records' I'll be cheering!

Happy we have Le Mans :thumbsup:

Oh and this, Ross Brown: Max is an exeptional driver.
Come on critics :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ross Brown? The only Ross Brown I could find on the interweb was Professor Ross Brown: Dean of Studies and Professor of Sound at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, London.

I'm sure it makes you very happy that a professor of sound thinks your golden boy can drive well :roflmao:

Thankfully the rest of can rely on his 8 wins / 2 pole positions in 5 years to speak volumes about his (lack of) talent :)

I don't remember much complaining about domination in Germany when Schumacher won all his titles.
Not a very good memory. But even then Schumi did not win 7 titles one after another without almost any opposition. F1 has always had dominating teams but the dominating team was different almost every year. Some years it was Schumacher in the red cars, other times it wasn't.

Not only does it hurt F1 a lot having one team dominate so easily and convincingly and especially for so long but the even bigger issue is that the mid field is in totally different category compared to the top teams. Every season and year and race since 2014 we have literally known with 99% certainty who wins the race (Mercedes). Just like we have known the top 5 beforehand, 2 Ferraris and since 2018 one Red bull. Before that the top 6 had two red bulls. It is as predictable as it gets. Only difference this year is Ferrari's slow pace (not Racing point's step ahead). Racing point is barely out of the mid field but merc is totally ahead of everybody and red bull has their only competent driver in his own bubble 2nd or 3rd. These are deadly issues for F1. This is the kind of domination never before seen in F1. And it sucks, it hurts F1 really bad.

I have tried to watch other forms of motor sport and i did not find it as entertaining as F1. Indy Car i found to be a slow parade of 300-600 miles. Formula e looks like something from a science fiction movie. And W series was like F1 without the need for pit stops because the events are to short. So F1 must be doing something right.

We live in a world of technology that is always changing and that keeps it fresh because most physical sports like Soccer or hockey dont change at all. So each season changes are made to rules and they are obvious. Its not like making a soccer goal a few inches taller or smaller. The average fan would not notice a small change like that.

Teams have smart people who know how to play the game to their advantage no matter how many rules are there in how to design or how to behave on track.

Not a very good memory. But even then Schumi did not win 7 titles one after another without almost any opposition. F1 has always had dominating teams but the dominating team was different almost every year. Some years it was Schumacher in the red cars, other times it wasn't.

Not only does it hurt F1 a lot having one team dominate so easily and convincingly and especially for so long but the even bigger issue is that the mid field is in totally different category compared to the top teams. Every season and year and race since 2014 we have literally known with 99% certainty who wins the race (Mercedes). Just like we have known the top 5 beforehand, 2 Ferraris and since 2018 one Red bull. Before that the top 6 had two red bulls. It is as predictable as it gets. Only difference this year is Ferrari's slow pace (not Racing point's step ahead). Racing point is barely out of the mid field but merc is totally ahead of everybody and red bull has their only competent driver in his own bubble 2nd or 3rd. These are deadly issues for F1. This is the kind of domination never before seen in F1. And it sucks, it hurts F1 really bad.
The complaining was outside Germany. No i like Schumi whitch was weird as i was growing up in England and his Rival Damon Hill was English. So most people around me where Damon Hill fans. Pissed of because Schumi had more skill and talent.

RedBull had the same advantage that Mercedes has today and I didn't see anyone complaining back then.
I remember Vettel pulling out 5 seconds gap by the midle of the 1st lap in Melbourne.
At least Mercedes has a great driver on a great car. You don't see that very often now a days

Here is a ide for the FIA get two drivers on a test track with similar speed and skill. Run them in the new airo package in a game of cat and mouse. And see how easy it is to slip stream and pass. With rules of a Grandprix enforced. The simple ideas work the best.

Read here, the thing is serious !!

Is if this news is confirmed with certainty, the story is very serious!
This time the ferrari must not let it go smoothly as it happened the first time with the projects stolen by mclaren, it must ask the heads of the managers and possibly the radiation of the team that fraudulently had that information covered by industrial secrecy!

Not a very good memory.

I remember him being hyped here until it hurts. He was a national icon (still is in a way) who could do nothing wrong. That's my perception.

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports.

You either want open competition, which will then naturally lead to domination by one team. Or you want some form of parity then you'd need some kind of BOP. Which is not something I want to see in F1.

Here it goes all cars on the track going fast after say 3 warm up laps then the slowest car gets called it to pits for a last place start. Maybe take out slowest 5 cars each lap to speed process up. The eliminated cars keep there times at the back of grid. And keep going eliminating next 5 tell there are only 5 carsat the end of the session The top 5 cars will have most wear so they will be 1st batch to stop in Grandprix. (As they start on qualifying tire sets. And the last placed car will have the least wear and be able to play the long game before pit stops.

The system is based on a race simulator. Need for speed i think, Slowest car on a given lap got dumped and eliminated. I think it was called time attack.
There will be no sad bagging and no waiting in garage for best time to hit the track. Accident or damage will cause car to start based on last completed lap time. If no time then to the back, If more than one driver sets no time then driver with most points goes ahead. If its a tie for 0 points the driver with the best finish the pervious race.

I like F1 to stay the forerunner in innovation so that results are a real team effort but with equal chances.

So to accomplish that I would like:
1 Budgetlimit so F1 will not be dominated by the richest teams. That also includes engine development.
2 No car limitations except fuel usage so the teams have to find a optimum in power output and fuel consumption.
3. Continuous development during season allowed (but within budgetlimit) so that teams can catch up.

That means:
- DRS (or more general wing adjustements) allowed all over track.
- Refueling allowed
- Free choice of tyres and tyre manufacturer
- KERS, DAS, skirts, six wheels, double diffusers and so on: all allowed.
- and further whatever the ingenious designers will come up with.

In that way the teams will have equal changes and will be pushed together with the driver to find engineering solutions in order to get the fastest combination of car and driver on a certain track.
If it means that the cars are getting too fast to be save than reduce the allowed fuel usage per second.

And yes: I would love to see if Max Verstappen or Charles LeClerc of George Russel can match or even defeat Lewis as a pure racer. So let's have also once a year a race with the F1 drivers in equal cars to get an answer on that. To make that spicy reward this race with a bonus on the budgetlimit.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yearly

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%