Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Well this is a surprise... Who knew that this thread would turn into my p...s is bigger than yours. Just be happy that we have so many sims to chose from, i know i am.
that's not how modern debate works. You need to pick an extreme, put ear plugs in and start shouting at your opponent.

You either love Assetto corsa more than your family. or you're a heretic infidel.

You either love Assetto corsa more than your family. or you're a heretic infidel.

Well I'm definitely an erratic infidel.:geek: I like AC but not enough to get upset about it or any of the others. Don't understand why any of you get so upset to be honest. They are just games.

Any way...........AC is still only the 4th best race simulator in my opinion.;):thumbsup:

You do miss all the pleasure those people get. But there's nothing to be disturbed about as you enjoy other games. We are all different and we react differently to subtle variances, especially in 'feel' department.

I don't like sushi. Most of my friends do. I know I am missing some enjoyment, but there's plenty of other food I like so I accept sushi is not my thing and I don't feel disturbed anymore.
RAW Fish is disgusting, no matter the beautiful arrangement. :)

Look at steamcharts.com and you'll notice that AC brings active players from pCARS, particularly with the release of the first Porsche pack. AC doesn't materially affect active players of AMS, R3E, or RF2.

The other thing you'll notice with AC players is that the initial release of a DLC pack doubles the AC active player count which then wanes over the subsequent month. You do not see that with the competition, so I think it's fair to conclude that half of AC players are very casual.

Edit: Another thought is that Ian Bell is making a mistake by trying to sell the game (and the next game) rather than selling more DLC packs, no matter how many bugs are in the game.

Last edited:
I don't like sushi. Most of my friends do. I know I am missing some enjoyment, but there's plenty of other food I like so I accept sushi is not my thing and I don't feel disturbed anymore.
I don`t like sushi .. but weirdly I happed to talk about it with friends now and than (I guess you run out of topics eventualy :) ) .. so I don`t think you just needs to be totaly isolated from things you don`t like .. specialy like me if you loved sushi and really wanna have some ;)

Not liking AC is like not liking driving an actual car. For some it may be a subjective answer...

There's a difference between mostly correct handling & simulate more stuff.

Yeah sure, others simulate more stuff, but doesn't really handle or behave in a way or even close the real thing does. But seriously, if because it simulate more stuff but way off the mark like most arcade game, so should it be even called a sim?

Just because it lack of more simulated stuff & drive more closely on part with the real thing is not a sim, because it doesn't simulate more stuff thus end up being simcade or pure arcade?

Last edited:
Why trolling? I also find AC's FFB a bit sluggish and lacking detail compared to other sims.

Definitely agreed, it has a lot more "resistance" instead of "feedback." Which I'm okay with.

Requested a refund on Dlc, simply been ruined by automobilista. I simply cannot hit apexes in Assetto Corsa, there is no sense of speed at all braking does not counteract understeer mid corner or lifting.

This however is simply not true, but whatever :p As a whole though, I definitely prefer AMS over AC.

AC isn't perfect by any stretch. However I can just jump online and have an online race with 20 other guys at almost any time of day being Europe based. I gather the online scene in RF2 and AMS is no where near as busy and people struggle to find games. That for me would be far more of a drawback than any FFB complaints or sound issues.

Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Well the biggest problem with AC is the processing lag, even with an open wheeler in AC you can feel that the car does not respond immediately to your steering input. To be honest, my family MPV IRL respond faster than the open wheeler in AC. This is why some people feel that AC is sluggish, and some describe it as "steering a boat". No matter how good the physics are, if there are perceivable input lag, it ruins half the experience.

Ahhhh…the good old debate which sim is better or not.
Don’t think too much about it, drive them! I’m enjoying them all.

YaXcVXGvBQlEI.gif

You can criticise any sim but I like the way that both Reiza and Kunos have stood behind their products and developed them over time. Other developers can learn something from that. AC 1.9 is way better in content and features than 1.0 and AMS similarly has a vast number of improvements from GSC. A better approach than SMS or Codies just dropping a game and moving straight on to the next one.

A better approach than SMS or Codies just dropping a game and moving straight on to the next one.

To be honest Kev, Codies have released quite a few patches improving an already superb F1 racing game/sim. But yes, AMS an AC are a superb example of continual improvement.:thumbsup:
SMS.........you are not wrong there. They did patch it a few times but you can't make a horse out of a pig.:D

Well the biggest problem with AC is the processing lag, even with an open wheeler in AC you can feel that the car does not respond immediately to your steering input. To be honest, my family MPV IRL respond faster than the open wheeler in AC. This is why some people feel that AC is sluggish, and some describe it as "steering a boat". No matter how good the physics are, if there are perceivable input lag, it ruins half the experience.
Maybe disable VSync and keep your framerates above the refresh rate of your monitor? That shouldn't be an issue with the simulation. I haven't heard of anyone with that issue before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 30.6%