AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

BTW, I've tested iRacing more thoroughly in an AI race (yeah, I know, not the usual scenario still, but best I could do). It used one thread extensively, and then two more somewhat (like to a quarter or so). Then a bunch of other threads not worth mentioning.

So essentially, you would not see much of a difference running the game just on two cores (threads)...

As we are both running on Triple Screen, 5760x1080, I would expect more GPU usage on my side. Also, he is getting about 15-25 fps more than me, so I was thinking is due to CPU bottle-necking my GPU. But as I said, this only happens on iRacing, probably due to its ancient engine. Modern games i have better performance than him or the same.
You should certainly see lower GPU usage than him in the same resolution with roughly the same framerate, because, again, you have a GPU that's a bit more powerful than his.

If he's getting 12-25 fps more and everything else is the same, then sure, he is getting somewhat better CPU performance (which is still more or less to be expected with Intel vs AMD when it comes to gaming, meaning a very single-threaded task, even with the newer 3xxx Ryzens), and yeah, both of you are likely CPU limited. But to know how much better and if it's even worth it, we would also need to know the absolute numbers. You might, for example, still be better off if you capped your framerate at a lower value than a maximum you can achieve. Framerate alone isn't everything.

This thread is gold, lots of good advice floating around. I currently run a 2600x with a 2070 and I’m pleased with the performance. VR is great on AC & rFactor2 and ACC on single screen runs a treat on high/ultra settings (still can’t get VR to work very well tho). However, I do keep toying with the idea of upgrading to a 3700x but will I see a noticeable increase in performance?
If it's just mostly for gaming, you can save money and just get a 3600, you'd get virtually the same performance as with a 3700x. As for how much higher it would be compared to 2600x - I'd say expect an increase of around 15%. More in some scenarios, I'd say, but also less in others, so...yeah.

If it's just mostly for gaming, you can save money and just get a 3600, you'd get virtually the same performance as with a 3700x. As for how much higher it would be compared to 2600x - I'd say expect an increase of around 15%. More in some scenarios, I'd say, but also less in others, so...yeah.
Cool, many thanks!

As we are both running on Triple Screen, 5760x1080, I would expect more GPU usage on my side. Also, he is getting about 15-25 fps more than me, so I was thinking is due to CPU bottle-necking my GPU. But as I said, this only happens on iRacing, probably due to its ancient engine. Modern games i have better performance than him or the same.

Hi, if I may ask what is your target FPS? Need to know what your expectations are as they are absolutely key in discussions about CPU and GPU bottlenecks. Are you aiming to hit a solid 60 with best graphics possible, or are you going for high refresh rates i.e. 120-144hz etc?

It was late when the race started and 38 cars on track at the start.
Once things spread out as they naturally do I was getting around 75fps
I've got 3 x 144hz monitors so really wanted to get the best fps possible. I've lowered the settings so much that I guess I'm just trying to gauge if I've lowered them enough or can maybe increase some a bit. 30+ lobbies on public servers aren't usually a thing and rarely start at night so hard to test this.
Add rain and I'm sure it would bring the fps down further. I think I maybe just expected a bit better performance out of a 2070s perhaps.
Will post my settings at some point later on as not at PC now

The performance between 1080 Ti and 2070S is practically the same in modern games, so I'm wondering why you are even considering an older gen card. Another reason to avoid older gen is that even if you'll get more performance today, there is a risk that will change in coming years. The past trends with Nvidia cards have shown that the older gen GPU's start to suffer after a certain time period when games get optimized for the latest gen. This is already happening with the 10 series, where the 20 series has started to show better relative performance in DX12 games.

Redoing saved registry I notice a errant entry for default AMD install

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\WOW6432Node\AMD\AMD_Chipset_IODrivers

Obviously should be
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\AMD\AMD_Chipset_IODrivers ...........already exists

Don't know if it's from last chipset or older one...........I think it could be latest as I never noticed it before

The performance between 1080 Ti and 2070S is practically the same in modern games, so I'm wondering why you are even considering an older gen card. Another reason to avoid older gen is that even if you'll get more performance today, there is a risk that will change in coming years. The past trends with Nvidia cards have shown that the older gen GPU's start to suffer after a certain time period when games get optimized for the latest gen. This is already happening with the 10 series, where the 20 series has started to show better relative performance in DX12 games.

I’m using a 2070s with 1080p triples.

I’ve been disappointed with its performance, not much better than my old gtx 1080.
This is with AMS2 btw.

Redoing saved registry I notice a errant entry for default AMD install

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\WOW6432Node\AMD\AMD_Chipset_IODrivers

Obviously should be
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\AMD\AMD_Chipset_IODrivers ...........already exists

Don't know if it's from last chipset or older one...........I think it could be latest as I never noticed it before
I too, noticed an empty AMD node in the registry under your posted location.
I had a very slight lag when selecting anything...after installing the latest chipset driver.
I deleted that empty entry, rebooted and all appears to be normal again.
Strange!

I’m using a 2070s with 1080p triples.

I’ve been disappointed with its performance, not much better than my old gtx 1080.
This is with AMS2 btw.
If I were buying a replacement card today and those two were the option, I'd go with the 2070 super.
Having said that...if I already had the GTX1080Ti, there is no way I would swap it for the 2070.
The bigger 11GB memory on the 1080Ti can in some cases be advantageous over the 8GB offered in the 2070.
I would only swap a GTX1080Ti for a 2080Ti or higher.

If I were buying a replacement card today and those two were the option, I'd go with the 2070 super.
Having said that...if I already had the GTX1080Ti, there is no way I would swap it for the 2070.
The bigger 11GB memory on the 1080Ti can in some cases be advantageous over the 8GB offered in the 2070.
I would only swap a GTX1080Ti for a 2080Ti or higher.

My previous card was a 1080 (non ti).

2070 super feels like a side step (wasnt bought as an upgrade, sold the 1080 a while ago and recently bought the 2070s to play ams2).

So yeah, I’m sure 1080ti is better than 2070s for my use case.

Hi, if I may ask what is your target FPS? Need to know what your expectations are as they are absolutely key in discussions about CPU and GPU bottlenecks. Are you aiming to hit a solid 60 with best graphics possible, or are you going for high refresh rates i.e. 120-144hz etc?
Hi there,

Yes, my idea was to soon replace my old 60hz for better ones, 144hz, but I can see it will not be possible. On Some races, I am having like 35-50fps at the start with full grid, and when i look at the GPU usage it shows like 60-70% max, therefore I can see my CPU is not doing the job on iRacing. But as I said, this only applies to iRacing(too old engine). My friend is using a 8700K @ 5hz and he is getting much more frame rates. I will wait for the Ryzens 4xxx. It is not worth change platform for just one application.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate.

35-50 fps sounds pretty low. I think you should investigate more, the fact that iRacing is very single-threaded doesn't mean there can't be an issue on your system, dragging the performance down further. There may be plenty of other issues apart from the CPU not being powerful enough.

Do you guys think it's worth it to change stock I5 6600 to a Ryzen 1600AF/2600?
I have GTX 1060 and 2x4GB DDR4's. I'm using 2560x1080 75hz monitor.
Mainly I play first Assetto with full grid (track days with AI). I would like to make a budget upgrade before changing the entire PC, when (if) AC2 comes. How much fps can I gain from this change?

Mainly I play first Assetto with full grid (track days with AI). I would like to make a budget upgrade before changing the entire PC, when (if) AC2 comes. How much fps can I gain from this change?
Much as I love Ryzen performance, I personally would not do it...not with a GTX1060 anyway...and certainly not for AC alone.
The rebuild hassle is just not worth it for the relatively small gain you might receive with the current videocard.
I went from an I7-3820 overclocked by an additional 200 MHz to first the 2600x and now to the 3600x.
I could have stayed with the 3820 if AC was the only sim I ran.
The only reason I upgraded was to take advantage of big grids in ACC.
I was actually running full grid races...in VR....smoothly.... with that old 3820 from 2012.

Last edited:

Nil. You might even see a slight FPS reduction in current gen sims, because Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen single core performance is a bit worse than Skylake and sims don't currently do much with more than four cores (see this comparison). However, in some other games you'll definitely see gains, I upgraded from i5 to Ryzen 5 3600 and saw big gains in FPS and fluidity in some online esports titles.

just ordered a parts for a new build pc :whistling: now waiting for the parts to arrive.....
goal is 1080p triples or vr
I found the dram calulator but how does it work?
Any suggestions for drivers setup and overclock settings?

Specs:
Ryzen 3600X
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
Red Devil RX5700XT (as a in between solution until new gpu's are released)
Corsair Force MP600 1TB
G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-32GFX

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 76 89.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 29 34.1%