AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

My experience on Blender with the 3600 this last years is really great, my interess right now is clearly on gaming side as the cpu is bottlenecking there.

I wanted to keep this upgrade i would say cheap^^ the 5900x is twice the price of the 5600x sitting at 220euros on my country. 5700x at 320 gives sense to me for productivity offcourse as its part of my geeklife but only if it will perform better in AC1 than the 5600x.

The ipc score between a 3950x and a 3600 looks similar so im afraid it could be an useless upgrade for my issue^^

Thx for your response.

3 options for AC1:
- 5600x
- 5800x3D
- instead of the 5800x3D, wait, cheap mobo, cheap ddr5, 7600x

AC1 won't gain any fps with more than 5 cores (tested by disabling cores and HT.
5 cores without HT gave the highest fps.

The 5700X may or may not give slightly better 1% lows and be a little quicker at renders. Is that worth the extra 100 euro to you? You probably wouldn't notice the difference in AC otherwise.
Got ur point, will certainly keep my money ty
3 options for AC1:
- 5600x
- 5800x3D
- instead of the 5800x3D, wait, cheap mobo, cheap ddr5, 7600x

AC1 won't gain any fps with more than 5 cores (tested by disabling cores and HT.
5 cores without HT gave the highest fps.
5800x3d cost too much for my wallet but would be the best update for the am4 platform, what s going on with this cpu, a friend said to me than AMD would be asking to motherboard's brands to desactivate, i guess the V-cache due to the heat? Fake?

You re right about SMT, i got same results with my current cpu and i can push further my OC in game near 4400mhz all cores without any pbo, but no magic, when it comes to big servers i still get cpu drops and SMT On smooth that variance cpu.
Maybe is Win10 putting some pressure on it but i usually play with the min essential stuff opened, discord, simhub, occulus services+dash, win media player or just chrome.exe.

I m gonna go with the 5600x, all the feedbacks i can read are pretty goods to hear. Seems that lot of people can reach an higher Oc per core wich is exactly what AC want.

Thx a lot for your highlights buddys

5800x3d cost too much for my wallet but would be the best update for the am4 platform, what s going on with this cpu, a friend said to me than AMD would be asking to motherboard's brands to desactivate, i guess the V-cache due to the heat? Fake?
Yeah it's too expensive to be good value if you don't have the money laying around and really need the performance right now.
My 3 options were just a list of what makes sense at all for AC1. Any other Ryzen CPU would only be worse value than these 2.

About disabling the V-Cache:
I highly doubt it and I can't find anything about it. It's THE feature right now and I wouldn't even know how you could be able to disable a hardware part.
That's like disabling one ram stick via the motherboard. Not possible afaik!

What is limited is overclocking on the 5800x3D.
You simply can't and that's it.

Yep didn t find nothing about it and it looks to rocks in game.

The 5700x is a low binned 5800x without v-cache, just ordered the 5600x will see in a week :)

Oh a little addition:
You mention chrome and discord video?
So you are streaming, playing videos or anything while racing?

I don't have vr at the moment so can't reproduce it but you should check the CPU load of the background stuff in Taskmanager!

Especially discord video streaming kills the CPU (never had discord premium to test if it gets better then).
If you're streaming via obs with chrome open (it's what I do, YouTube livestream controlled via obs so 1 chrome window minimized):
Afaik there's a way to use your AMD gpu for it?

I have an nvidia gpu so I simply select nvenc in obs and have like 0-2% CPU load when streaming.

About 5700x:
There are the 5700x and the normal 5800x. No difference apart from clockspeed and tdp afaik.
The 5800x3D is a completely different cpu. I'm not sure what's the base for it but iirc the ccx design is different to the 5800x.

Got ur point, will certainly keep my money ty

You re right about SMT, i got same results with my current cpu and i can push further my OC in game near 4400mhz all cores without any pbo, but no magic, when it comes to big servers i still get cpu drops and SMT On smooth that variance cpu.
Maybe is Win10 putting some pressure on it but i usually play with the min essential stuff opened, discord, simhub, occulus services+dash, win media player or just chrome.exe.

I m gonna go with the 5600x, all the feedbacks i can read are pretty goods to hear. Seems that lot of people can reach an higher Oc per core wich is exactly what AC want.

Thx a lot for your highlights buddys
If you've not already bought the 5600X, have you given any thought about the 5600 - non 'X' version? Unfortunately, there aren't any AC (VR) benchmarks to compare (based on a quick google search), but if one uses ACC as a yardstick, there doesn't seem to be much difference between both processors:
ACC 5600 vs 12400F 2022-08-10_11-03-03.jpg

It might also be worth noting that the i3 12100F (£95) beats the 5600X!

Edit: with regard to Chrome. Make sure that it's not running background tasks (extensions/apps) either open or closed
chrome 2022-08-10_12-03-01.jpg

Last edited:
Yep as amd user the best way to record or stream is Obs via gpu, but i dont need it for discord.

In fact i did never saw huge inpact while streaming since i have this gpu, at least for max 1080p. I can see some spikes on latency using the app on crowded servers but it stays smooth at 80fps(riftS).

Usin chrome and youtube for music, i dont stream anything on it since a while. It looks hungry with ram after some hours but with or without looks same to me even on laggy session. I may be wrong, dont see any change on headset.

Ordered this morning the 5600x at 223euros, the 5600 prices 220 on amazon.fr .
I do have a non X version and it needs a lot of tweaks to keep his boost all cores under heavy load. That was a tiny disapointment when i bought it, fastly fixed on bios but it doesnt gives room for overclock at all, as it starts to need lot more voltage than the X version wich is not good for an everyday use.

Yep as amd user the best way to record or stream is Obs via gpu, but i dont need it for discord.

In fact i did never saw huge inpact while streaming since i have this gpu, at least for max 1080p. I can see some spikes on latency using the app on crowded servers but it stays smooth at 80fps(riftS).

Usin chrome and youtube for music, i dont stream anything on it since a while. It looks hungry with ram after some hours but with or without looks same to me even on laggy session. I may be wrong, dont see any change on headset.

Ordered this morning the 5600x at 223euros, the 5600 prices 220 on amazon.fr .
I do have a non X version and it needs a lot of tweaks to keep his boost all cores under heavy load. That was a tiny disapointment when i bought it, fastly fixed on bios but it doesnt gives room for overclock at all, as it starts to need lot more voltage than the X version wich is not good for an everyday use.

If you use Blender a lot, I'm afraid you made a bad purchase. Again, for rendering, the more cores the better.

If you'd use it just for gaming, the 5600 vanilla is the best option for less money. You wouldn't notice any difference in gameplay compared to a 5800x unless you're benching.

OC on Zen 3 will bring very little performance gains on normal use scenarios; pretty much unnoticeable while playing. You're better off purchasing a B-die RAM kit and run it @ 3800 with tight timings.

Yep, i dont do race, only cruise fast with friends and AI online since some months.
I have no issue on fully crowded servers like spa, highlands, blackcat, nords and the rest.
It mostly starts to stutter with 10 AI bots no matter wich track we are talking, its same for all of them, cpu around 100% or more in the csp renderstats.

Hwinfo always says after a good night ride and some lags than Cores 0/3 and 5 did hit 100% of cpu load.

My temps are really good even on south on hot summer, cpu doesnt take more than 70° and gpu 50° with his hotspot always near cpu temp.

Tried on tv on 1080p and its just a bit better lighter, cpu still hit 100%.

If you use Blender a lot, I'm afraid you made a bad purchase. Again, for rendering, the more cores the better.

If you'd use it just for gaming, the 5600 vanilla is the best option for less money. You wouldn't notice any difference in gameplay compared to a 5800x unless you're benching.

OC on Zen 3 will bring very little performance gains on normal use scenarios; pretty much unnoticeable while playing. You're better off purchasing a B-die RAM kit and run it @ 3800 with tight timings.
Well u made me doubt again^^
So i tried to cancel the buy on Amazon, will see if its ok for them and will go for the 5700x. Its the first and i guess the last update i will do on this platform so better go for more cores yep.

I will swap the ram soon, i need more capacity.

Well u made me doubt again^^
So i tried to cancel the buy on Amazon, will see if its ok for them and will go for the 5700x. Its the first and i guess the last update i will do on this platform so better go for more cores yep.

I will swap the ram soon, i need more capacity.

If it's your last upgrade (AM4 is EOL anyway), I'd wait until September 15th when AMD will launch Zen 4 and see if prices drop to get at least a 5900x. Again, my recommendation is based on the fact that you render a lot with Blender.

Edit: from my past 25+ years building PCs, buy the best CPU you can afford right after a new socket is launched, as is the case now with AM4/AM5. If you wait much, prices for TOTL CPU for the old socket tend to skyrocket as everyone is on the same boat.

Last edited:
Just took the 5700x wich come in 2days.
Any gain on Blender will be welcome but it has to be in game i m crossing fingers^^

Will see for ram sticks next month as price are not to high currently on my country.

Tiny feedback

So much better in game(ac1), my headset stayed at 80fps on the shuto, on glennsheil and some more, a big win for me.

From
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 88.3% 6x4.35ghz
Game 112%, Desk 94%, Work 107%

To
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - 108.8% 8x4.7
Game 131%, Desk 106%, Work 136%

Didnt filled the subtimmings yet, still have some tries to do especially with cpu stock, wasn t able to make the pbo working so it is currently:
4.7ghz all cores
vcore 1.296
vids 1.275
edc 115A
tdc 75A
ppt 130w

It passes cpuZ stress reaching those specs at 68°, on InteliBurnTest i stopped it after few secs at 75° and got 148w ouch^^

The cpu swap went very well for me, no issue on bios (F35) or windows. My friend got the same cpu today and his usbs are not working well, funnily his config is almost same as mine, "only" faster ram, raid and atx motherboard...

Tiny feedback

So much better in game(ac1), my headset stayed at 80fps on the shuto, on glennsheil and some more, a big win for me.

From
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 88.3% 6x4.35ghz
Game 112%, Desk 94%, Work 107%

To
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X - 108.8% 8x4.7
Game 131%, Desk 106%, Work 136%

Didnt filled the subtimmings yet, still have some tries to do especially with cpu stock, wasn t able to make the pbo working so it is currently:
4.7ghz all cores
vcore 1.296
vids 1.275
edc 115A
tdc 75A
ppt 130w

It passes cpuZ stress reaching those specs at 68°, on InteliBurnTest i stopped it after few secs at 75° and got 148w ouch^^

The cpu swap went very well for me, no issue on bios (F35) or windows. My friend got the same cpu today and his usbs are not working well, funnily his config is almost same as mine, "only" faster ram, raid and atx motherboard...
Nice!
You should try if you can get a higher boost clock on a single or few cores than with all cores pushed to 4.7 GHz. Although I don't expect it.
But in theory the AMDs are known to boost higher on single cores than on all cores and you'll gain some more fps in all games and applications that can't use many cores like AC, Adobe Lightroom etc.

USB issue is known with x570 boards. Does your friend have such a board?
BIOS Updates should fix it though! But it took way too long for AMD to fix that issue...

Had a quick look through the Gigabyte X570 Aorus thread at OCN and found someone asking this question:

"Does anyone here know why I get random USB disconnect and reconnect on my Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Ultra Version 1.0? I am currently running bios F37c but I have tested this with F36 bios and still, it happens?"

The reply:

"USB disconnections can be often fixed with a little bump of VDDG IOD."

Gigabyte boards seem to be the worst for this problem. Good luck!

Hi guys

@RasmusP

On PBO it only poors at max 4650mhz but i guess i missed something and need read more about gen5. In AC1 for the hardest servers i m getting 4 cores at 4700, 2c at 4400 and the rest between 3800/4100.
Didnt tried anything else for now but i have no doubt everythings will be better so i m peace and no rush^^

@Bob Gnarley

ty for the information, just pasted him your answer if it can help.
He has almost same config than me but on atx with better ram sticks and a raid.

X570 aorus Elite (x570pro wifi mini itx for me)
5700x
2x16gb 3600CL16 if i m not wrong
rx5700xt

He is usin F36 bios formware, i prefer the f35 for the fact my ram sticks can go for more aggressiv steppings and the flck can go higher too. With newer ones i was getting issue to stabilize the ram part when i was on ryzen 3600.

I can remember we already got this issue some years ago with an old oculus cv1 headset, both getting weird issues on usb3 when all oculus sensors and the headset were plugged only usb3. But it was resolved long time ago too^^

Have good day

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 448 69.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 278 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.7%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 172 26.7%
Back