AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

I'd think the direct competitor would be the 3700x or 3800x with the same core/thread count. A bit cheaper and slightly less single thread performance but overall basically identical performance wise.

If you plan to stream or have other background apps open, the 3900x is the better buy. This coming from a 9900k owner btw. I’m sure someone will turn off SMT, oc the 3900x and get some monster results. Give it time.

game-bench.jpg

That is 10% faster not 5% ;)
I decided not to buy anything, in above graph my 8700 would be ahead of a i5-8400 and match the 3700X in multi core gaming or close
Put my unopened Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Pro 1000watt PSU and Krakken X62 away for IceLake

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm waiting....
Cant afford to make a mistake and buy a new rig without knowing for sure that I'm getting the best bang for buck. This upgrade will probably have to last me the next 10 years or so... :cry:

I'd like to at least get one sentence about whether or not the performance on a x470 board is lower. Does the cpu clock exactly the same or does it simply clock lower and uses less power...
All these incomplete informations, argh :cautious::speechless:

clocks exactly the same, consumes exactly the same. The all-system power differences are because the x570 chipset uses more power than the x470 b450.

I guessed so but where do you read that from? Couldn't find anything in the linked article...

From other reviews that tested the 3000's across all chipsets. The linked article shows power consumption between them. The X570 is expected to consume more because the chipset is completely different hardware and feature wise.

That tests PCI-E 4.0 vs 3.0 in GPU bottleneck scenario. For cpu performance there are other dedicated tests but I saw so many I dont know where I saw them.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_x470_vs_x570_review/28

This is on a 2080ti setup. There's no diff between x470 vs x570.

Here are some more mem related details between the diff platforms. https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1728878-ryzen-3000-memory-fabric-x370-x470-x570.html

If you're hell bent of OC'ing every part; fabric, mem, base clock, multi etc then probably best to get a x570 but if you just want it to be plug n play with good mem then just about anything will work.

So clockspeeds are identical. I also found a video from der8auer, uploaded 20h ago where he soldered a bit around on motherboards to measure the differences.
X570 chipset is about 4W more.
It doesn't explain the 37W from the article at all though...
Interesting stuff!
Anyway it seems that a good x470 is the one to buy if someone wants to upgrade right now and doesn't want the power draw or an active cooling.

Of all the simracing titles out there to date, there was only one where PCI-e speed made any difference.
That was RF2.
We found that strictly by accident during a benchmark comparison.
All the actual gaming performance numbers to date, point to just a few small percentage point gains between 470 and 570...especially on the lower scale 3-series CPU.
I'm dropping my R5-3600X into my current 470 when it arrives later today.
I have no plans to go to 570.
That to me, would represent a case of diminishing returns.

Just a quick note.

It was reported that although these new Ryzen's are capable of running fast memory, above 4000mhz, the infinity fabric link between the I/O block and cpu cores runs at slower speeds when operating above 3733mhz.

Initial tests by Elmor at o/c.net show this to be the case...

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1728878-ryzen-3000-memory-fabric-x370-x470-x570.html

Basically, above 3600mhz read times drop off a cliff and only recover somewhat as frequencies increase. The upshot is that the recommended 3600mhz (with tight timings!) really is the sweet spot and that there isn't much point overspending on superfast ram.

In terms of achievable memory speeds X470's are pretty close to X570's.

If you can OC the IF, then you can bump up your RAM also and keep the ratio in tact. But really, CL14 3600mhz is the best option and from there you can tighten up your secondaries.

Last edited:

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No 3pa registration pages