Another User With Quest 2 Issues in AC

So, I've been trying to optimize my experience with the Q2, and overall its very useable but like everyone else I'd like more performance from it in AC.

My PC is low/medium grade. I5 10400F, GTX 1080 FE, 16GB RAM. X590M Pro Mobo.

Here's where I'm having issues:

Launching through the Link, and not using SteamVR I'm struggling to keep a steady 72 fps at a reasonable resolution.

I'm currently set at 1.0 in the Oculus res, and 1.4-1.5 ppd in CM. No post processing or Sol on. Most everything set to mid/high. No Vsync set anywhere, no frame limit set in the Nvidia cp.

In the debug tool, ASW off, link rate is set to 500. I have a link cable running at 3Mbps.

The confusion comes in when I open Task Manager or HWMonitor while racing, and my CPU usage is at about 30%. the GPU is around 45% and RAM usage is a little under half.

If and where is the bottleneck? I'm kind of stumped at this point. I've tried what feels like a million combinations, but just one click of a res slider tanks fps to 40 or less.

I did have a CPU spike the other day, HWMonitor showed almost max usage across all the threads, and today I saw some highs above 65-70%.

I have already ordered an I7 11700KF, but don't want to install it if you guys think that's not the underlying issue...

Thanks in advance! And sorry for the long post...

YOur bottleneck could be many places, but I'd suggest looking at what mods you have running, such as tracks and cars. A great many of the mods out there aren't that greatly optimised for VR and you can see a real decrease in performance with larger grids too. Also pop up a screenshot of your content manager settings and the AC video settings, as running things with such as heat shimmer, smoke, motion blur and depth of field can tank your performance. If you're not running with OpenXR mod or Fholgers FSR mod, I'd seriously look to that too. Don't use the built in CSP implementation of FSR as like a lot of things in CSP it doesn't work as well as it should.

Hm, now that you mention DOF, I need to check into that. I know that motion blur is off across the board.

I need to try out OpenXR, looks like that could be a solution.

I did see somewhere that RAM speed could be an issue also. I think I'm running DDR4 at 2666...

This is my debug tool settings with pp filter off

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-19 214635.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-19 214635.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for that screenshot, I did run a few more tests, and I'm thinking I'm being bottlenecked at my CPU after all. Just some minor tweaks in CM video settings bring the utilizations way up while my GPU stays around 40-45%.

I can lock in 72 fps with decent res, but it seems like there's a lot of performance being left on the table.

What tracks and cars are you running with? As I mentioned if you are running mod tracks and cars ou may find the the cpu bottlenecks and you may even get the dreaded CPU occupancy warning pop up too as it's your CPU that handles the AI for the grid of cars so large grids means more CPU utilisation.

Mostly stock tracks and cars in online lobbies, so I don't know if that's a factor just yet, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. .

I did install the I7 11700k this afternoon, and I made some headway to better performance. What's crazy is it is still showing some serious utilizations. My GPU is still only seeing about 70% usage, so there's some headroom there.

But at the end of it all, now I can run Sol and a pretty hefty LOD for cars and tracks while maintaining decent res and fps.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 27 8.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 7 2.1%