Anyone used a PSVR headset on pc AND has also used Oculus/Vive etc? Differences?

I'm currently running a PSVR headset through Ivry on Steam. Seems to work well enough for driving sims and Elite so I'm happy but I'm wondering how much better the other (more expensive) options are.

If you've only played GT Sport in VR you may think the PSVR headset is garbage but when you run driving sims through the headset on PC it's like a generations difference graphically. GT sport literally looks like ACC used to look on my RX580 (which is like a smeared oil painting).

I don't really intend to do anything with VR except drive so should I just stick with PSVR headset?

Well, I used the PSVR headset on the PS4 and thought it was pretty good! (my standards are low it seems :D ) - My biggest issue wasn't the visuals but the lack of on-line racing with GT:S in VR, so I ended up getting a PC and a HP Reverb G1. I haven't done a recent comparison between the two since I no longer have the PSVR, but I can say that whilst the visual improvement is quite noticeable, it's still not crystal sharp. If I was in a flight sim, I'd definitely want the Reverb for the in-cockpit dials, but for racing I'm not sure I'd be quite so fussed.

Upvote 0
Some of the PSVR games look quite good, I guess but GT isn't one of them once you've played a madness engine game in VR.

I'd not played my PS4 for ages and fired it up the other day but I was pretty shocked at how much difference in visuals there was. I acutally played GT just in normal 'cinema' mode on the headset and tbh it looked about as good as AC with CSP and Sol in VR! Made me appreciate how good AC looks these days.

I was going to buy an Oculus then I found out about the Facebook thing. Don't have an account and don't want one. Maybe I'll just save money like grinding in GT and get a Valve Index at some point.

Upvote 0
If you are aiming to have the budget for an index, then I'd probably recommend the G2 instead, especially if your main focus is sim work. The tracking of the index is supposed to be second to none, but in reality you probably won't need it if you are mostly seated and I think you would probably get more benefit from the increased resolution of the G2 over the index.

Upvote 0
I've had the following headsets, in the following order:
PSVR (on PC) -> Odyssey + -> Vive Cosmos (with lens mod) -> Reverb G2.

Every new one was an improvement on the one I had before, but is only now with the G2 that I feel the resolution and overall image quality is good enough to not be distracted by the screen door effect and low resolution all the time.

The difference between the PSVR and the G2 is absolutely huge, you will be very pleased I guess :)

Upvote 0
Yah definitely worth the upgrade. ACC has always been really blurry with PSVR. Couldn't even make out the distance marker board. Can see them clearly now. Keep in mind you will need a good PC. Especially for ACC.

Upvote 0
Well I finally upgraded to a native mixed reality headset and tbh it was a massive difference. I got a Lenovo Explorer for a bargain £80 and I was pretty blow away. It was like going from DVDs to Blu Ray imo. The Quest 2 etc. must look amazing.

If anyone else is still using the PSVR and has a bit of money spare I'd recommend getting on Ebay and trying to find something better as it's worth it. Tempted to upgrade to Quest 2 already, I just never thought it would look so much better.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 282 34.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 229 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 150 18.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 66 8.1%
  • At a friends house