Assetto Corsa Competizione: Release Five Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 5 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have deployed the fifth major build update to Assetto Corsa Competizione today - adding the Emil Frey Jaguar G3 and Circuit Zolder to the simulation.

I suppose anyone who has a passing interest in sim racing has already downloaded, installed and played the new update already, so this article is pretty much preaching to the converted, but just in case you are not still immersed in the new update on your gaming PC, here's the details for what comes included with build release number five:

Release Five Notes:
  • New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations,
  • especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
  • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
  • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
  • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
  • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
  • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
  • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
    Audio engine optimizations
  • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
  • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
  • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
  • Intro sequence updated

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?

ACC Release 5 1.jpg
ACC Release 5 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
i have a feeling ue4 was chosen because it will probably be easy to port to consoles afterwards, thats a lot of sales for a brand with a good rep like Assetto Corsa

I hope you are right about being easy to port because the console port of AC was far from Kunos’s finest hour. Not a subject I want to go over again but I hope this time if it is coming to console they take the same methodical Early Access approach they use on PC to get the game right.

Console players generally demand a lot more gamification elements, ACC is moving in the right direction with hotstint, leaderboards etc but it’ll need a lot more soul on console to be a big hit imo. With direct drive wheels coming to console this year you might be right, maybe sim racing will gain more of a hardcore console following.

I agree there is massive potential in the install base of consoles but racing games are far from the viral big sellers - still profitable enough I’m sure. I doubt ACC would run on current gen consoles, remembering it would have to run on a base PS4 and XOne not just the Pro and X. Some of the UE based games like Gravel have awful stuttering performance on console too. Take a look at the issues PCARS2 has with keeping FFB working with more than a handful of cars on track on the standard consoles. Next gen consoles then maybe but it looks like we are just under 2 years away from those.

BTW, what laptime you guys did with the Jag@Zolder? My best if I recall is 1.30.2 (no aids). When driving on 95% I can constantly do laps around 1.31.0 (with a bit modified base setup, to stabilize rear end).
On the hotlap competition 1:28.7 p55 with 2-3 changes to the safe setup and used the bonnet cam to figure out what curbs i can use. Around 2 hours of practice, still the hardest part to get right on this track. Feels like i can get a low 28 if i can improve on these curbs.
edit: 1:28.485

Last edited:
45fps is perfectly fine for VR, from what I've read only the beefiest of machines can achieve 90fps in this game so 45fps is about the best most of us can hope for at the moment.
In my opinion, some guys get way too wrapped up on framerate. I've seen sims run smooth at 45fps while others at 100+ were stuttering all over the place. I could maintain 45 and in some cases 90fps in VR with my previous system, which was an I7-3820. What is more important to me anyway, is deviation between minimum and maximum fps.
Highest outright framerate is not the singular most important feature of a good simracing experience.

Last edited:
In my opinion, some guys get way too wrapped up on framerate. I've seen sims run smooth at 45fps while others at 100+ were stuttering all over the place. I could maintain 45 and in some cases 90fps in VR with my previous system, which was an I7-3820. What was more important to me, is deviation between minimum and maximum fps. Frame rate is not the overall...or even the singular most advantage driving a good SIM experience.
One screens anything above 60fps is fine for me, even TVs are fine, but in VR as soon as it loses the 90fps it's unplayable to me, 45fps in VR is like watching a slideshow

One screens anything above 60fps is fine for me, even TVs are fine, but in VR as soon as it loses the 90fps it's unplayable to me, 45fps in VR is like watching a slideshow

What VR equipment are you using?

It’s your perception so be it. I think you might be exaggerating quite a lot for effect but you might be using some odd hardware so who knows. You look old enough to have been around when most racing games were 30fps - unless you refused to play them on principle ;)

45fps with Oculus Rift ASW is absolutely fine, as it allows the super sampling to be turned up it’s often a superior experience and there is no loss of speed perception. That’s my view on it.

when i was using vr acc had an issue where asw would not kick in properly when dropping down from 90, if you had settings high enough to never reach 90 fps then it worked normally, dunno if it's still the same

What VR equipment are you using?

It’s your perception so be it. I think you might be exaggerating quite a lot for effect but you might be using some odd hardware so who knows. You look old enough to have been around when most racing games were 30fps - unless you refused to play them on principle ;)

45fps with Oculus Rift ASW is absolutely fine, as it allows the super sampling to be turned up it’s often a superior experience and there is no loss of speed perception. That’s my view on it.
I run Oculus Rift, i7 7700k and 1080ti
I assume it's like motion sickness, some are affected some arent, on TVs, monitors etc anything over 60fps looks fine, but in VR as soon as it drops below 80fps it just isnt good enough for me to play, for my eyes its so so noticeable

• Deleted member 197115

How bad is artifacting with ASW on? In WMR I can tell it's on right away as things lose typical crispiness.

Haven't tried it with the latest ACC version: there is a workaround where you configure the menus to be always in front of you, it maybe irritating but at least you can use them. Change the value "mainMenuLayerType" to 2 in Users\YourUsername\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Config\vrsettings.json. My vrsettings.jason looks like this (running a Acer WMR set):

{
"mainMenuLayerDistance": 100,
"mainMenuLayerSize": 160,
"mainMenuLayerType": 2,
"raceMenuLayerDistance": 80,
"raceMenuLayerSize": 78,
"raceMenuLayerType": 2,
"hUDLayerDistance": 70,
"hUDLayerSize": 80,
"hUDLayerType": 2,
"spectatorScreenMode": 5
}
https://www.reddit.com/r/ACCompetizione/comments/a0u956/menu_screens_in_vr_far_away_and_steep_angle/
That value has been set to 2 all along unfortunately.

I'll try the procedure in the Reddit link (if I can figure it out) and will report back.

Thanks.

That value has been set to 2 all along unfortunately.

I'll try the procedure in the Reddit link (if I can figure it out) and will report back.

Thanks.

I tried the procedure in the Reddit link and got nowhere. Unfortunately, it requires accessing the SteamVR menu from within ACC using one of the hand controllers. Since I don't have the Lenovo handcontrollers (because I didn't think they would be necessary for racing sims - and they haven't been until now - I only have the headset), I don't know of any way to access the SteamVR from within ACC. If anyone know of a way to do that, I'd appreciate being clued into it.

Otherwise, I guess that I'm stuck with running ACC in single screen (which isn't the end of the world).

Thanks!

The first version was extremely heavy and demanding in terms of hardware.
Any news about system requirements?
well, it sits on my drive because the prize was nice and low back in the day but my system failed the test first time round, didn't run it (i7 first generation, gtx 650). I tried again after every update and it still does not run the game. I'm fine since I'll buy a new pc after eight or nine years this spring anyway, so let them optimize the game while my old pc is nearing the end of its lifecycle.

I tried the procedure in the Reddit link and got nowhere. Unfortunately, it requires accessing the SteamVR menu from within ACC using one of the hand controllers. Since I don't have the Lenovo handcontrollers (because I didn't think they would be necessary for racing sims - and they haven't been until now - I only have the headset), I don't know of any way to access the SteamVR from within ACC. If anyone know of a way to do that, I'd appreciate being clued into it.

Otherwise, I guess that I'm stuck with running ACC in single screen (which isn't the end of the world).

Thanks!
Got an X-box controller laying around?
Try using that or similar to navigate within SteamVR...j don't forget to set it in the developer options..

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 86 30.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 58 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 61 21.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 36 12.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.3%