Assetto Corsa Competizione: Sizeable Rewrite Underway - New Hotfix Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Hotfix.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni look likely to be busy in the months ahead, having already released 'build five' of the sim and a new hotfix today, the team have confirmed a sizeable rewriting is underway.

When I say rewriting, what I mean by that is Kunos are hard at work revisiting some of the code created for ACC so far, in an effort to maximise how the software will be developed going forward in order to bring new content and features to the simulation more quickly, and with greater ease than is possible at this moment in time.

Unfortunately for Kunos, that means a lot of work 'behind the scenes' will need to be undertaken to achieve this change in direction, a feat that the small Italian development team are in no way underestimating how time consuming and difficult that might be. With the simulation still at such an early stage of development, it is excellent to see Kunos are so dedicated to bringing about the best experience they can with this Unreal 4 game engine, and yet more evidence that the makers of netKar Pro and Assetto Corsa fully intend this new title to be their biggest and best creation to date.

The full Kunos statement:
Having a look at the 0.5 release patch notes, you will find that most changes are either new content or physics related. Regarding gameplay elements – including Multiplayer features – we decided to opt for a different path, which may need some explanation for non-developers.

While developing software, especially games, you constantly invent patterns and concepts. When we built the ACC gameplay during 2018, we aimed for a certain way to write the game logic, including everything from session handling, race timing, laptimes, penalties and so on. Our solution had some amazing feats and ways of working, but we also had to learn that one of the disadvantages was making the development of Multiplayer features not as efficient as we had wished for. You may have noticed that although we met our roadmap targets on time in terms of content and features, several things involving Multiplayer were late. This is not really unusual or surprising; moving a whole development team to a new engine and framework required us to learn about the new situation as the project evolved (but we didn't know where this would happen, obviously).

In December we faced the choice to either keep proceeding like that, adding as little changes as necessary to achieve a stable 1.0 Multiplayer, and then never to touch it again.

The alternative route is a rewrite of (a lot of) the code to switch to concepts that support our current needs and the things we learned. The disadvantage is obvious; we'd have to spend a lot of work to change ACC without – seemingly – adding gamplay related features and fixes for a certain amount of time, however, the gain is a much more stable environment, where we can keep adding features and also speed up future development.

I can tell it's unusual to go for a rewrite, but it expresses our approach and our plans to go on, even beyond ACC 1.0. Technically speaking, a few developers forked off the codebase and worked day and night to do the re-coding, with the goal of bringing those improvements to the main code as soon as possible. The new features on the list therefore are there, but not in this build, and we most probably will also bring them one after another even looking beyond the 1.0 release, since the development will continue to bring our audience the 2019 Season update, and more. ;)

Being myself also responsible for ACC Multiplayer development, I needed to slow down the work on the Rating System, but likely this re-work on some of the code that we use as a foundation will help the Rating System, too, to proceed even smoother.

As a bottom line: enjoy the new content, both the car and track (in my opinion) are fabulous, and see how ACC keeps developing in the future.

I'm writing this between Multiplayer tests (on the new code), we are on a very good way – but sadly we will not see this outside the test systems for the time being.

While the rewrite is a project that remains ongoing, Kunos are still working hard at the latest build of the software, and that can be further evidenced today by a very small new hotfix update for the recently released Emil Frey Jaguar G3, the car having come with a couple of issues (mainly around the audio), which has been addressed as part of the latest hotfix build, details below:

0.5.1 Changelog
  • Improved intake sound EQ (onboard view) for the Emil Frey Jaguar G3
  • Minor LOD tweaks on the Emil Frey Jaguar G3

Busy days, weeks and months are ahead at Kunos HQ!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Just in case you guys don't know, even after release date there will still be alot of issues .

The question is if they will be addressed and how soon.
Based on AC1 i believe most major issues will be addressed with improvements.

The main issue we have is patience . .....and most sim racers don't have that....i don't think anyone has ACC as their only racing title...

So Keep yourselves busy and stop using your time to argue amongst yourselves.

So I don't get the abject negativity at all. Probably would be better if they didn't do EA and just pushed it out from complete beta or final.
Like you, I do not understand the high level of negativity, except from the usual agitator, but that is an other (sad) story.:D
I disagree though that it would have been better not to have the EA, I am enjoying what we have got so far. Of course I wish a lot of the issue would not be there or would be less, but at the same time, I drove the Jaguar at Zolder this morning and enjoyed the experience, so I am glad and thankful for that opportunity. The level of details and the veracity of both the track and the car make driving it a threat. That is also true for the 4 other tracks and cars It has a level of authenticity I have never experienced in other SIM. The feeling of being really there, in VR, is very special. My only explanation is that like for the other SIM, somehow, the expectations are way to high for what we have been delivered, so some people feel betrayed and that is never good. Unfortunetly it prevents some to enjoy the good we already can use.:)

Last edited:
Seems like some would prefer that there was no early access and Kunos just released a version 1 bug-filled product that everyone complains about.

I bought EA to support the development of the product (and get it cheaper ;)) fully expecting it not to be optimized for performance or MP as they're using a different engine. I get some of the complaints, but it's a long way from a finished product.

Tbh AJ back in the day you would get a version one release, usually after a demo, one to two patches later and it was finished completely and we would build huge communities worldwide around it and race the **** out of it, level playing field, no bullshit, there it is get on with it, there's times when I miss those days :D

race the **** out of it, level playing field, no bullshit, there it is get on with it, there's times when I miss those days
I suspect that is the same with real race drivers who have to put up with days where their cars handle like crap, they get run off the road by other drivers, the track sucks, or life just isn't treating them fairly that day. Not to mention that their "Graphical View" of the world from their race cars is pretty crappy also with all the bugs, dirt, oil and other stuff on the windscreen or helmet!! We asked for a "realistic SIM" from Kunos so what is everybody moaning about so much!! It is just like a real racing experience:D:D
As the man says, "level playing field just get on with it". Not perfect but I find it fun even with all the problems, after all nobody said I have to play it.

Serious question to those who downvoted:

We're closer to the end of Early Access than the beginning.

What happens if the same complaints listed in this thread, are present at 1.0 launch?

Why is it wrong to criticize the game on March 19th, when it's v0.9 early access, but one day later on March 20th, when it says Version 1.0 in the bottom corner of the screen but still has the same crop of issues, is criticism suddenly okay?

Yeah, doesn't make much sense eh?

That's the argument some are trying to make.

I think they will do what they did with AC. AC 1.0 is not much different from AC in Early Access and let's be honest, I really won't say AC 1.0 was good. It is still janky and buggy, it wasn't ready to be called as 1.0 too at that point of time. I felt that AC truly went 1.0 is when they released Dreams Pack 3.

It is the subsequent updates that really improve the game onwards. I expected the same for ACC which I admit, it is quite disappointing. I do not mind if they will stick to it for the next few years, with hopes that they will add GT4 and perhaps GT1 along with more tracks.

I mean yeah it's awful, how dare they release and charge us half price for a game that isn't finished that can already produce this much fun! This was recorded at fixed 45fps with Oculus ASW and it certainly isn't a slideshow. If Early Access is handled well it can be a good thing for all. Why Kunos didn't use the same step by step approach for AC on console will remain forever a mystery.

If you'd told me 20 years ago we'd have real world scale car simulators and half reasonable wheel feedback in our own homes I'd have laughed at you. It's here, embrace it and enjoy whichever flavour of PC sim does it for you. ACC and PCARS2 are both hugely enjoyable for me, and forum biases aside, there really isn't much to choose between them. All of them have upsides and things that could be better.

You do realise that when you show normal - non sim -people these racing experiences their reaction is wow that is amazing! Way too easy to get caught up in the minute details and endless arguments when the games here are already something special.

Early Access is a bogus buzzword made up by devs to justify selling janky **** to consumers and deflect any valid criticism as "the game isn't done yet."
Would you rather pay full price for something completely broken on release with little to no community testing? Because imagine if this game released multiplayer as is with the full game, full price and fully broken. Because of early access they now know that their code isn't working well when exposed to the end users, but that gives them scope to fix it. They would not have known if this game did not release early access.

There are plenty of early access horror stories, but also plenty of success stories. Even in the success stories, there are some pros and cons to the system...but I'll say this: if there was no such thing as early access, I think we'd primarily be getting fed a never ending series of Gran Turismo clones. I'm not saying no "real" sims would get made, just way fewer with more commercial comprimises being made.

I have supported AMS, AC, and ACC and would happily do it again (as would many others). All of those games have proven to be simultaneously flawed and wonderful, but for my tastes the positives have outweighed the negatives. Maybe someday someone will drop the killer app on us and not take a single nickel of dirty "early access" money, but until then I'll keep supporting Reiza, Kunos, etc.

Yeah, you guys are right. I paid a home builder to give me a house, finished as I paid for. Instead, I got half a house with toilets missing, water not working and part of the floor missing. What did I expect? Terrible of me to think I was getting what I paid for. I should be happy there is a couple walls and water once in a while and I only get wet when it rains really hard.

I honestly don't know why anyone expects a racing sim to work perfectly at launch. All one has to do is look at recent history to see how racing sim development usually plays out. rFactor 2, Raceroom, Assetto Corsa, and Project Cars 2 all had major problems at launch, and most of these sims took at least a year, if not years, to fix some of the major issues, if they got fixed at all. rFactor 2 had performance issues, and graphics issues, that took years to fix, and is only coming good now that Studio 397 has taken over. Raceroom was a disaster at launch, and took several years to become the gem it is now. Assetto Corsa had one of the worst AI's I have ever seen in a racing sim, and took years of patches to become reasonable. Project Cars 2 still has problems a year after launch, some of which will probably never get fixed. In fact the last time I can remember something that was anywhere near the vicinity of being complete at launch it was GTR2. You could make a case for Automobilista, but it was built on an engine that had been developed for years beforehand by ISI.

I guarantee that ACC will still have major problems at launch. If your so worried about paying for early access and not getting everything you want fixed by launch, then wait to buy it in a year or so when everyone says that most of the problems are fixed. As for me I feel sim racing is a relatively cheap hobby, and I'm not super worried about Kunos not supporting ACC. I bought it when it first went into early access, and I am reasonably happy with it so far. I'm sure it will eventually work as advertised, but I am also sure it will be well after launch before that happens.

Yeah, you guys are right. I paid a home builder to give me a house, finished as I paid for. Instead, I got half a house with toilets missing, water not working and part of the floor missing. What did I expect? Terrible of me to think I was getting what I paid for. I should be happy there is a couple walls and water once in a while and I only get wet when it rains really hard.
I can absolutely see you as the idiot that pays a builder to construct a house for you, and even though it isn't scheduled to be completed until April/May, you would cry about it not being finished in January. You are absolutely 'that guy'.

According to drivers that raced real GT3 cars, these things are super planted, what we simracers would call sim-cade.

No, that is not simcade, that would just be a relatively easy to drive car - GT3 were aimed at amateurs originally, they have to be easy. Here's an hour of a top pro in traffic at Spa on sticky tyres, watch everything moving around, they'll still bite. There's no point driving a GT car like a twitchy kart, the huge lump of metal won't go any faster...

Multiplayer needs to be completely overhauled to rival iRacing. Scheduled races, leagues, everything. It's completely pointless to have endless lobbies full of races that mean nothing. The game has so much promise in every other area, but the multiplayer format must be improved. I don't know why other racing sims aren't trying to replicate what is already the biggest online platform for racing. Sim Racing System is in it's infancy and is trying to bring the platform to other sims, but it's not enough at this point. If Kunos don't do that, they can forget being the premier esports GT game which they wanted to be when this all started.

I can absolutely see you as the idiot that pays a builder to construct a house for you, and even though it isn't scheduled to be completed until April/May, you would cry about it not being finished in January. You are absolutely 'that guy'.
And you Hornbuckler are an absolute dickhead. And... Everyone here knows it. I didn't make the game that needs a full-blown re-code. Stefano did. Genius.

Instead, I got half a house with toilets missing, water not working and part of the floor missing
Yes, but you forget ONE thing.
You visited the house in this stage with FOUR months before the date written in your contract as finishing date. And now you yell at constructor and he sit there and look at you and don't understand nothing and thinking :
WTF want this guy? We have 4 MONTHS to work and he want to shower and :poop: in this unfinished house? :O_o:

Last edited:
Yes, but you forget ONE thing.
You visited the house in this stage with FOUR months before the date written in your contract as finishing date. And now you yell at constructor and he sit there and look at you and don't understand nothing and thinking :
WTF want this guy? We have 4 MONTHS to work and he want to shower and :poop: in this unfinished house? :O_o:
And an EA isn't a binding contract, because the advantage has had who has spent half the final price
but this does not prevent a delay in delivery, quite normal in the video game world, especially when the developer warns that an important part of the code will be rewritten to get better software in the future.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 23 31.1%