Best Sim Hardware Combo for Less Than $10,000 Heading into Year 2020 (PC Not Included)

I'm about to make the leap (unintentional leap year pun) into a full sim racing setup this year, and I would love your feedback to make sure I am maximizing my money. I plan to use VR exclusively, and I already have a VR-ready gaming PC, so my budget of less than 10,000 USD applies only to the sim racing hardware and VR HMD. Here is what I've come up with so far, and I am astounded at how fast it added up! Any and all feedback welcome! Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 11.03.06 AM.png

Looks like my setup. For the HMD, I'm currently using the Reverb, and Pimax 5K+, but have preordered the 8KX, which should be the cutting edge when released. Also, If I could do it again, I would skip the PT2 plate and use a E bay aluminum plate and some DIY.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I would give serious thoughts to HE Pedals. Prosimtech is closing its doors.

Upvote 0
Looks like my setup. For the HMD, I'm currently using the Reverb, and Pimax 5K+, but have preordered the 8KX, which should be the cutting edge when released. Also, If I could do it again, I would skip the PT2 plate and use a E bay aluminum plate and some DIY.

Thank you for the reply! I was strongly considering the Reverb (Version 2) as well, but the higher possible frame rates of the Index seem more "future proof"...although by the time PC components are capable of pushing 144 FPS on the Index, I am sure there will be even better options for HMDs. Also, if the only thing you would have done differently is the pedal plate, I think that's a good sign!

Upvote 0
I would give serious thoughts to HE Pedals. Prosimtech is closing its doors.

Thank you for the reply and also for the suggestion. I am aware that ProtoSimTech is closing its doors by the end of the year, but it seems like their pedals are still a good value compared to the HEs. Although, if some sort of custom replacement part was later needed for the PT2s, that could present a problem. I did strongly consider the HE Ultimates as a brake/throttle combo (foregoing the clutch), but it was more than double the cost of the PT2s. The Sprints might be more comparable, but I seem to recall folks preferring the overall feel of the PT2s more, and the Sprints are still considerably more expensive. If reliability is a concern with the PT2s, I concur that HEs would be worth the extra money. I haven't come across any evidence of reliability concerns, but if you know of any, please share. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I have nothing against Prosimtech, but for something mechanical with moving parts, all things being equal I'd prefer to buy from an ongoing company with renowed support rather than one closing down.

Very good point, which is what I think @Andrew_WOT was alluding to, or at least that was my inference. I guess I just need to acknowledge that the extra several hundred dollars is probably worth it in the long run.

Upvote 0

Have you tried the Index by chance? @HoiHman seem to strongly prefer the Index to the Reverb, but he seems to be one of the lucky few who have tried both, although I am not sure if the Reverb he tried was the first version, or the revised/Version 2 model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Chipless

My most important requirement is resolution, and the Index comes up short there. I'm hoping to sell both my HMD's as soon as the 8KX arrives. If reports can be believed, It has the Reverbs resolution, but with a much bigger sweet spot, huge FOV, and better colors, along with the best comfort so far seen!

Upvote 0
@Wmacky What computer are you going to drive the 8KX with?
Remember that Pimax was VERY optimistic about what it would take to drive the existing Pimax 5K+ and 8K. The only people getting decent performance on those have already maxed out available hardware.
My guess is that you will be either running low fps or waiting for the 3080Ti to drive it properly.

Upvote 0
I'm using a I-9 /2080TI

As am I and it will drive an Index pretty well, but could still use more power.
Dirt Rally runs at 90fps with some of the settings pulled back on the Index. I couldn't imagine pushing the 8KX in Dirt Rally at any speed that didn't cause nausea.

Similarly in DCS World can only run 90fps with graphics setting turned back.

My comment is that I don't think current computer tech is up to driving that headset well and that they are stretching the truth about it running on current technology. I'm sure it will do great for Space Pirate Trainer, but on a driving or flight sim, it will take the graphics card to its knees.

I hope I'm wrong, but unless they've come up with better optimizations than Oculus, Valve, and MS I seriously doubt it.

Upvote 0
I'll know more when it arrives. The claim is that these 4K headset require less SS, and AA, which helps keep up the FPS. If not, I'll hang onto the reverb while waiting for the next GPU. As you said the 8KX would still be usable for many things. I'm a big VR buff, and love that stuff! There's a certian night club sim that would be fun to check out with the 8KX! :)

Sorry to the OP for going off topic!

Upvote 0
I'll know more when it arrives. The claim is that these 4K headset require less SS, and AA, which helps keep up the FPS. If not, I'll hang onto the reverb while waiting for the next GPU. As you said the 8KX would still be usable for many things. I'm a big VR buff, and love that stuff! There's a certian night club sim that would be fun to check out with the 8KX! :)

Sorry to the OP for going off topic!

No apology necessary! It's still related to my original post, and there hasn't been a lot of direct criticism or feedback, which I am hoping indicates that my hardware choices are good ones. I'm about to part ways with a lot of cash. I'm still up in the air about the pedals though. Also, the GS-5 is also a hard pill to swallow, but most reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I am exploring some cool DIY options, and possibly some help from some hardcore DIYers. Anyway, it's never too late for more feedback from everyone on here. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree. The GS-5 is a tough purchase to make $$$$$$$$$$$$. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, and instead decided to add some tactile for now. Everything On your list looks excellent. Good job. There is the PT2 Vs Sprint debate. They cost alot more but may have better future support. For me, It's not a concern. The PT2 is extremely HD, and I just don't see anything breaking. If it were a DD base, I would be very concerned, but I'm sure I will be dead before I wear out or break a PT2 part! If you decide to add, a seq shifter, or handbrake, Ill suggest Aiologs. Very inexpensive, super compact, and unbelievable build quality. You really won't believe what you receive for the money you spent!

Upvote 0
I prefer the Valve Index over the HP Reverb because of the ease of use and the much better overall clarity.
My HP reverb was the V1 version, but as far as i know the V2 version only has a different cable to combat the disconnects.

My main issues with the HP Reverb were:
- Uncomfortable at the nose section ( there's a sharp edge that rubs against my nose)
- Big heavy cable and connector. The cable is so heavy that it can pull of the HMD just because of its weight
- Bad colour gama (over bright)
- Last but not least : Windows Mixed reality

When i got the Valve Index all those issues were solved immediately. Turns out that HMD resolution only is not the deciding factor for me

As far as the GS-5 goes. If it's in your budget buy it :D

You will not regret it, the GS-5 is an awesome addition to any (motion)rig.

Currently there are no good DIY versions available unless you are super skilled. In the end with a Kirkey seat and lots of special manufactured parts + 4 high-end servos you will be very close to the GS-5 price point when it's finished.

Then there's also the optical side of things. I have seen some (very) good DIY versions of the GS-4/5 but they never look as good or are as compact as the GS-5. I have to give SimXperience kudos how the managed to do that.

Upvote 0
The SS and AA comments make sense, fingers crossed!

The GS-5 seems interesting, complex and like it will require long term maintenance. I just got used to and now love how my racing shell seat fits me. I have some concerns over how comfortable the GS-5 would be compared to a seat that fits your body like a glove.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events