Best Way to Add a USB Port?

My PC currently has 4 USB ports. All are occupied as follows:

1. Mouse
2. Thrustmaster Wheel
3. Fanatec Pedals
4 VR Headset

I'm considering adding the SRS ShakeKit (even though I got no response to my thread for feedback on it). This device would require a 5th USB port.

My PC's case is pretty chock full already, so what would be the best way to add this 5th USB port? Would a simple external USB hub work? If so, which port (listed above) would be best to install it on in order to minimize any conflict? (All 5 devices would need to be functional while racing.) If not, what are my best options other than an external USB hub?

FWIW, this is on a Windows 10 system.

Thanks!

I have more than 10 Usb connected to my PC, although I only have 5 ports.
I use a powered USB hub to connect the racing gear, which allows me to turn it on or off whenever I need it. This way you can use your pc without having everything connected all the time, and with the press of a button the rest of the peripherals turn on.
Check on Amazon Ugreen Usb powered hub or something similar. It should do the job.

I have more than 10 Usb connected to my PC, although I only have 5 ports.
I use a powered USB hub to connect the racing gear, which allows me to turn it on or off whenever I need it. This way you can use your pc without having everything connected all the time, and with the press of a button the rest of the peripherals turn on.
Check on Amazon Ugreen Usb powered hub or something similar. It should do the job.

Thanks for that! Can everything on the hub (which I assume feeds into only one USB port on the PC) all operate at the same time with no conflict?

Thanks again!

No harm in trying and it'll be a dirt cheap solution if it works :)

Just tried the 2 USB ports in the monitor by connecting my TM wheel that way. No go. :( Although Windows 10 Device Manager reports all USB ports working properly, the wheel is not detected at all when attached to either of the monitor's ports.

So, I assume that these ports are inactive in some way. Does anyone know how to activate them? FWIW, it's an LG monitor (perhaps 18 months old).

If not, I guess that I'll have to get a powered hub instead.

Thanks!

I would have thought that the monitor USBs are basically working like a hub and you'd have to connect the monitor to the PC to use those hubs.

Just tried the 2 USB ports in the monitor by connecting my TM wheel that way. No go. :( Although Windows 10 Device Manager reports all USB ports working properly, the wheel is not detected at all when attached to either of the monitor's ports.

So, I assume that these ports are inactive in some way. Does anyone know how to activate them? FWIW, it's an LG monitor (perhaps 18 months old).

If not, I guess that I'll have to get a powered hub instead.

Thanks!

@Turk is correct. The monitor needs to be fed an upstream USB signal from your PC in order to split that out to the downstream ports. Commonly, the upstream port uses a 'B' type connector and a cable comes supplied in the box.

You will lose a single USB port on the PC in order to feed the monitor but gain two in return.

@Turk is correct. The monitor needs to be fed an upstream USB signal from your PC in order to split that out to the downstream ports. Commonly, the upstream port uses a 'B' type connector and a cable comes supplied in the box.

You will lose a single USB port on the PC in order to feed the monitor but gain two in return.

I'm going to have to see if I can find that cable......Doubtful since I've moved in the meantime.

But, help me understand how this is done. (I don't understand "upstream" and "downstream" in this context.)

The monitor has two USB ports. What do I connect to the first one - the PC? If so, I lose 1 port on the PC and gain only one (the remaining unoccupied one) on the monitor. So what would that accomplish? (Gain one + Lose One = 0). What am I not understanding?

You should have 1 port that connects from monitor to PC (usually USB B type), sometimes termed upstream or input.

You'll then see 2 USB type A ports. These are the output ports you will use for your peripherals.

Although this isn't your make of monitor, it makes a nice example:

DELLP2417H-12.jpg

The blue port is used to feed input in and the two black ports to the right of that are the outputs.

AHA! I see it now - and Yes - my monitor has 2 Type a and Type B port. So, I guess I just need to find a USB printer cable to attach to the Type B port and PC, and then re-try the Type A ports.

Thanks for the clarification!

EDIT: Just tried it and it works! Thanks - You just saved me $20-$30 for buying a USB Hub!

Last edited:
Most motherboards have extra USB connections on them that just need a cheap adapter plate to be able to use them (e.g. this).

Of course you need a back panel slot free for it and to check your motherboard markings / manual! I got 6 more USB 2.0 and 2 more USB 3.0 this way :)

I haven't tested scientifically myself but I was told that any USB ports other than those directly on the motherboard can have significant input lag, so make sure your VR headset, pedals and wheel get priority for those.

I agree with powered hub but must be good not just any hub

I have Orico 15port cost $149AU
It has chipset which actually shuts down power to anything not used
or feeds lower power to others

Motherboard don't do this they throw out max volt 24/7 ..... neither do cheap hubs

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Watch party

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 1 0.9%