I'm in the process of redesigning my rig with new hardware and currently researching parts to build a custom handbrake but since i need to buy a controller board to map the axis i got to thinking it would be a waste to only use 1 input. I havent decided on which board im going to use (dsd, bodnar, arduino, etc) but any board i buy will have multiple button/axis inputs i dont want to waste. I'm thinking of making a button box (not sure exactly where i'll mount it just yet) but from doing research on pre-fabricated units and community diy models i got to thinking what exactly would i use it for? What are some common functions across multiple games that you or people you know have mapped to button boxes? Aside from engine start, up/down/left/right inputs, enter, pause, escape, what functions do you find you use on a regular basis while driving? The sims i play are the codemaster F1 series, rfactor 2, iracing, and soon looking into asseto corsa.

My new rig will have VR incorporated so i'd like to map it out in a way that i can navigate menu's with just buttons so i don't have to look for my mouse/keyboard blind but aside from the control functions i talked about above i'm not sure what car functions are worth putting on it.

Lights, wipers, DRS, pit request, pit limiter, horn, multiplayer voting, multiplayer text messages ("Hi!", "Sorry", etc.), push-to-talk for microphone, brake bias, anti-swaybar adjustment, fuel mixture, boost level, pause game, live/delayed video, alternate exit (instead of escape key), HUD select, HUD on/off, look left/right/behind.

Upvote 0
Thanks Emery, those are some good suggestions, I forgot to mention I'm going to be racing with a clubsport wheel so I'll have some buttons to work with on the wheel, I'll probably put car functions(pit, radio, wipers etc) there and game functions/navigation on the box, like HUD etc. I didn't even think of multiplayer functions. That would be handy. Anyone else have functions they use regularly that are standard in multiple sims?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 174 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 45 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.3%
Back