Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

I try to find online races everyday, but depending on the title, it goes from : unplayable because everybody crashes on first lap, to : totaly empty servers...
Even when I find a good server, the chances to find someone driving in your laptime are little.

AC : Too much haters/crashers....
AMS (1-2) : Empty servers most of the time
rF2 : When a server fits, you need to download 5 tracks and 8 cars to be up to date... the time it takes to do that, the race is over and the server is empty !
I havn't tried ACC online, so I don't know if the "rating system" is working properly.

I honestly don't have a solution about that. I guess Leagues and Privat events are the answer.

Cheers,
Donnie

What prevents me, is some health problems. I only participate in some events in several games, when they are short runs, maximum 15 minutes. I do a lot more when I'm alone, as in the case of Dirt Rally 2.0 and WRC 7 events (which we can do, regardless of the opponents, I didn't buy WRC 8, but I intend to buy WRC 9). Another problem, internet quality (here in Brazil is generally not stable). Equipment quality (in the case of Hardware: usually in some games I have to reduce the graphic quality, to increase the performance (more stable frames, to give other problems in the vision and headache, reducing the details of the path etc ... that I I could see better. To play online regularly, only a group of friends do it regularly, in the same city, and chatting via Whatsapp (with video), and exchanging information, as most have similar equipment, but not all games, we can have fun very well, at the moment we play pCars 2 and AMS, it could be Assetto Corsa too, but this doesn’t give us the chance to include AI pilots, unlike the first two. Who knows more for the end of the year, AMS2 and Rfactor 2, which also it seems to me that it doesn't need such a powerful machine. It could be AC Competizione, but taking my PC as an example, it gives a lot of lag (because it needs very good hardware), it would also have an excellent RaceRoom, but my friends don't have most of the packs that I have.
I didnt know you could race the ai online in ams and its said to be pretty good isnt it? Now I just have to talk my friends who pretty much only play F1 into buying it and spending some time to be half decent :D

Lack of a proper safety rating system that can be used to limit access to servers a la Minorating.

Also lack of variety, most servers in AC and AMS tend to be high end modern race cars that I have no real interest in driving. That or Nords Tourist which doesn't interest me either.

Reactions: F_B
Tips for whatever excuse you have to not race online:
#1 - Accept your skill level, most sim racers are slow, you are not alone. Being an alien can be actually super boring. Have fun, stop caring about positions, a good battle for P149 in a 150 cars race is better than going P1 from first to last lap without anyone getting close, and you get nothing when you win a race anyway so just enjoy it.
#2 - Don't shut down your brain while driving, if you do that you'll avoid 90% of crashes
#3 - Sooner or later you'll destroy someone's race (or someone will destroy yours), legit mistakes happen, you can't be afraid of this. As long as you do #2 you'll be fine
#4 - Practice defending lines so you know what you can and can't do when out of ideal line, even more important if racing multiclass
#5 - Only in real fast cars like F1 or LMP1 (and to some extent LMP2) being slow can be a real issue so as I said accept your skill level and if you can't drive these at a decent speed pick a GT or drive them only offline.
#6 - Some people do not accept accidents happening in simracing, or yellows breeding yellos, I guess they don't watch real life racing. Ignore these guys when they start whining, it's not worth wasting time with them.
#7 - Leagues are not as intimidate as you think. Most admins will be happy to know if you plan on doing partial or full season, just that. We spend a lot of time to organize stuff so the minimum we'd like to know is how much you can take part, trust me it can make a huge difference to the admin so don't be afraid, just tell what is your plan.

I often race in pubic lobbies in ACC, or now in AMS2, previously in pCars 1-2. But public lobbies don't change and it doesn't matter if we race either on pc or on console. Rammers are everywhere. It's about surviving T1. If 15-20 racers compete, it is sure that only 5-6 remains till the end. Quite frustrating. Despite this, I still love online racing.

What is also frustrating for me is the lack of variety. Everyone just want to race in Monza and Spa, in safe, sunny circumstances without pitstops. I always have to laugh when the development of a new sim or simcade is revealed. Everyone wants rain, fog, tyre and fuel wear, pitstops with real crew, etc. but f..ing no one wants to race in these hardened circumstances.

Some years ago on Xbox then, we had a pCars group. First we happily tried out everything, the chancing weather, the day and night cycles, the multiplied tyrewear, everything, but after two or three races the guys started to whine: "we are still not ready for it, let's not use this features!". When I wanted to organize a race on Nordschleife, " we don't have time to learn such a long track", and so on... So I need variety in online race, that ensures that not only aliens can step on podium.

Now I'm really happy with the track list of AMS 2, I like the new, by me never seen racetracks.

I want max. 1 hour races with huge variety! :)

Last edited:
ACC is the devil online, I'm sure friends playing together get others to knock people out on purpose. Also i don't like being call a **** all the time lol. Also cheats going round spa 2:14 lol.

What stops me from racing online? Other players of course! When it comes to racing, i have 0 tolerance for bored stupid kids who just want to drive the opposite way or just crash into anyone. And it happens ALL THE TIME. I'd rather race against the most stupid and unrealistic AI than human beings with too much free time.

Right now, availability of races and commitment. Public servers (in AC) that are populated seem to be a very limited number of combos (at leats last time I actually looked), and i don't feel like signing up for leagues only for then "having to race" on certain days (and most probably bumble around on the last places in the race)

In LFS I loved the pickup races and (for those that remember) server systems like CTRA. Start up the game, choose a server, and a minute later I'd be on track.

The biggest limiting factors for me in order are
  1. Time.
  2. My confidence that I can do a clean, consistent race due to lack of practice (see 1).
  3. My housemates all trying to stream Netflix in HD at the same time :(

1) On RD event - nothing stops me from online (only doing R3E, great bunch of people even putting a joke in the middle of the race that makes me smile even though I just maybe spun on my own) :D
2) Out of RD - no time to waste on wreckers and bad behavior.

Currently doing R3E once a week, always different cars and time well spent. Then F1 2019 for fun offline. And now also got ACC, still practicing before trying to go online if time allows.

I did a lot of online in GT Sport simply because the UI and race calendar is easy to access.
Qualis are separated from race registration so you can work on your lap times one day and race another day, try different cars or setups etc.. Each week races change.
In ACC or AMS2 the UI for online play is just terrible, or the races take too much time
I just want servers with quali 5-10 minutes and race max 20 minutes.
90% of the time you will not find these
Too many empty servers, servers you can't join because race is already in progress, too long practice+quali, etc.

Took me quite a while before i started racing online. The thought of not being good enough sticks around even though you are probably better than a lot of people racing online.

And even after i broke through that barrier, the recklessness of lots of drivers in public lobbies ruins it. Short races feels "meh", and it has to be an hour or more to make sense for me. Constantly having someone trying to ruin it for you makes that hour an annoying experience.

"private" / hosted races are far superior, but then commitment comes in. Specific times in the week and you have to sign up. When I'm done with work for the day, there may be some mates who invites me to something else. This is far less of a problem, but its a tiny barrier anyway :)

Online races is a real job and a chore. No thanks. I prefer to tinker with my short AI races (usually 8 laps) on whatever track/car combo that fits my boat.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 429 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 267 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.2%
Back