Community Question | Your Favourite Type of (Sim) Circuit

Street circuits, that many don't seem to find boring, especially the ones with 90 degree turns, but for some reason I really like the precision that is needed to brush the corners -

Phoenix (I WISH someone would do a version in today's graphics),
Monaco,
London (Need for Speed layout in rF / AMS),
Birmingham,
Surfers Paradise

Maybe Phoenix is my all time favourite because it was first on the calendar in Geoff Crammond's F1GP so I was forever restarting my season there.

You forgot a category--smaller local tracks, club, and "private" tracks. These are a joy to drive with smaller track cars. Tracks such as Croft, Pembrey, Cuircuit du Laquais, Mas du Clos, Ascari Race Resort, and Bikernieki. Here in the US, we have a few Motor Sport Ranch tracks, there's New York Safety Track, Monticello Motor Club, Willow Springs, Spring Mountain, and Wilzig Racing Manor (built on a private residence).

Yes, some great ones in that list - Anglesey is great but usually overlooked, and Mallory Park too.

For me, my favourite kind of track is long (>7-8km), a good mixture of fast / technical corners, a few long straights, lots of elevation change, blind crests, modern or historic... so, the Nordschleife then :laugh: (or Fonteny, Feldbergring, Deutschlandring, Bremgarten or Imola)

What's a Permanent street track (Long Beach)?

You forgot a category--smaller local tracks, club, and "private" tracks. These are a joy to drive with smaller track cars, good for track days and hot laps, and for lower car class and amateur series races. Tracks such as Croft, Pembrey, Cuircuit du Laquais, Mas du Clos, Ascari Race Resort, and Bikernieki. Here in the US, we have a few Motor Sport Ranch tracks, there's New York Safety Track, Monticello Motor Club, Willow Springs, Spring Mountain, and Wilzig Racing Manor (built on a private residence).
rF2 brought several of these circuits to PC, like that Florida track, Atlanta, Mores, etc. Unfortunately, despite being much more budget-friendly, most racers want circuits they already know. Some modders have made several, thankfully.

I am shocked. 50% like modern permanent tracks, like Sepang and so on? Tilke clones as wide as a runway, so you run out of fuel before you hit the track limits when missing the apex? Wow. Did'nt expect this.
So 50% here are under the age of 30 and never seen proper motorsport in dangerous cars on dangerous tracks...
You can be shocked or cry as much as you want, but a lot of people like the faster cars like LMP1 and F1, and old tracks just don't cut it any more. Besides, a lot of older circuits have been modernized, so Montreal, Hockenheim, etc. count in that category.

Wow! I cAn'T bELieVe!

Last edited:
This is kind of a mixed bag for me.
For actual racing of any series, Mugello is absolutely one of my favorite tracks.
It has a bit of everything...long straight for passing, elevation change, off-camber, and sweeper corners, etc...
In terms of endurance...Nordschleife simply is the 'go to'.

So 50% here are under the age of 30 and never seen proper motorsport in dangerous cars on dangerous tracks...
I'm 26 Years old, but my first Simracig experience was with the GPL 2004 Demo- First time I drove with a proper wheel was with GTR2/Power and Glory V1, so I will always have a soft spot for the Vintage Cars and Tracks (Although I have obviously never witnessed the real races).Maybe I'm the exception of that rule.:)
Btw, I voted for Fictional tracks, just because of Fonteny, where I had much fun recently... does anybody remember Machwerk? A similar Track I haven't seen in AC yet

J'ai vraiment du mal à comprendre comment on peut apprécier les circuits modernes complétement aseptisés ! La plupart ne sont que des pistes de karting en plus grand ! Ou sont les grandes courbes rapides, les dénivelés et les décors naturels ? L'ancien Spa, la Nordschleife, l'ancien Hockenheim, l'ancien Silverstone, l'ancien Monza. Ils ont tout détruit. Ah oui bien sûr... la sécurité avant tout !

There’s a problem with this poll. What option should you choose for the classic but also current F1 tracks, e.g. Spa Francorchamps, Monza, Silverstone, Zandvoort?

As I can't pick any more than two on the poll, here are my top favourites (not in any particular order);
  • Circuit de la Sarthe aka Le Mans Circuit (My absolute favourite)
  • Suzuka
  • Twin Ring Motegi
  • Bathurst
  • Nurburgring (Nordschliefe 24h layout and GP)
  • Brands Hatch
  • Silverstone
  • Oulton Park
  • Spa Francorchamps
  • Zolder
  • Oschersleben (unpopular opinion)
  • Imola
  • Sebring
  • Laguna Seca
  • Road America
  • Virginia International Raceway
  • COTA Circuit Of The Americas
  • Long Beach
  • Daytona Road Course (not Oval)
  • Interlagos

In no particular order:

Spa
Monaco
Motorland Aragon
Interlagos
Hockenheim (pre-reform)
Shanghai
Suzuka
Guadalope (Alcañiz, Spain)

Ok now I have to find that Guadalope track, looks interesting to drive and I like the atmosphere...any version you can recommend? I would really like to find a historic version of Long Beach in a modern sim (AMS1/AC and later)...everytime I see this video, I wish I could race there:

Somehow nobody mentioned Zolder yet and that is unacceptable

Zolder is another great one and thought about putting it on my list, but it's relatively new to me and I've bonded with the others a little more...otherwise I'd be listing all day, there are too many great tracks: VIR, Macau, Hockenheimring (old and new), Spa, Zandvoort, Twin Ring Motegi....I could go on and on.

All I know is it's a great time to be a sim racer :D

Difficult pick, since I like them all and been vacuuming the internet for track-mods since 1996 and the Grand Prix 2 series LFRS and very keen of driving and adapting to tracks I haven't driven before .
However, I cannot hide my +35 year admiration for historic cars and historic and now debunked tracks, both shorter and endless tracks.

So well, the combo of driving and adapting undiscovered land, Targa Florio, Machwerk, Nürburgring Gesamtstrecke, 70K Kesselberg, Solitude, i.e. in classic cars adds a lot of value for me. As well as shorter debunked tracks as Deutchlandring, Spa classic, Rouen-Les Essarts, Charade 8K, Riverside, Reims, old Kyalami, Classic Zandvoort (can't mention them all) as well as debunked eastern Europe rallycross courses. And fictional Fonteny for AC (which isn't that fictional, the roads are very in spririt with real world :)).
But also modern and still existing courses like Snaefall Mountain course for Isle of Man TT I like driving.
For close competition, however, I like modern permanent tracks.
Rallying I do now and then Peyregrosse in rf1 and Trento-Bondone in Alfa Romeo GTA. Though it adds value for me,
So I voted for massive historic Tracks and modern permanent tracks.

Should I mention only one classic massiv track, I'll go for two :D Targa Florio (rFactor version in 1970 Alfa Romeo Tipo 33/3 and for AC: 1966 Alfa Romeo GTA and Snaefall Mountain Course (AC: Ferrari 458 GT2)

For modern close competition I've the last couple of weeks had a recatch of modern Kyalami with AC. I must say I simply love the AC-kombo of 2016 Kyalami and Ferrari 488 GT3. This track should be an official KS-track, and be played for online series.

Yes, the question was only about track-type, but IMHO, the joy of the track is often inextricably linked to the choice of car.
For instance AC mod Deutchlandring driven with 1960 Porche 718 RS Spyder at gives a better experience than track driven in a Ferrari 643.
As well as Peyregrosse-Mandagout is much more suitable and enjoyable in an Alpine A110 1300S than driven in the Red Bull X2010 :D
Or Sepang driven in the F1 2000 Sauber-Petronas C19, which is quite more fun than driving this Tilke track in a Yugo.

Edit: +10 years ago my pick would have been classic F1 tracks. However, I still now and then drive classics at Dijon-Prenois, historic Kyalami, history Charade, Phoenix GP and Dallas GP quite frequent, running classic rF1 F1-series and AC blended track fields.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 31 8.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 27 7.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 9 2.5%