Tracks Deutschlandring

Getting some leaf litter in place now, so soften the transition between road and verge :)

0x1WwVT.jpg

ezfeTYO.jpg

Not running out of things to do on this track, but progress is going pretty well. I think another month or so at this rate should see it finished (finally!)
Wonder what would happen for example,
if you made say 50 leafs as removable objects, like cones and crap,
and applied the flag shader to them,

so there on the track scattered not 1000,s obviously be too much,
even 4-5 on 1 bend be a lovely touch,
you would blow the leafs away driving over them and the shader would make them flicker like a flag, idk maybe more of my overkil delirium :D
same effect would work on marbles on racetracks also I imagine I mean even 1 is better than none. :)

Before I go any further, can any of my friends from Germany tell me if they would have had something similar to this in 1950s Germany? In the UK we have them mostly on country roads to tell travellers how far the next town or village is, in either direction. I took this photo 4 miles down the road from my house, and added the names of towns near my track in Photoshop just to see how it would look.

hzDfhAL.jpg

I thought a few of them might look quite cool around my roads.

Thanks for that :) And that looks much easier to model and texture, too ;)

That link for '53-'56 is fantastic! There's some really useful information on there, thank you!
No problem! :thumbsup:
The thanks goes to the wikipedians and the german bureaucracy.

Almost forgot, that the Deutschlandring is in the eastern part of Germany.
So this link would be more accurate, but it doesn't change for the fingerpost aka 'Wegweiser':
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildtafel_der_Verkehrszeichen_in_der_sowjetischen_Besatzungszone_und_der_Deutschen_Demokratischen_Republik_von_1945_bis_1956#Wegweiser_für_sonstige_befestigte_Straßen

-----
This road 'side stone' could be interesting. Just a stone with the road number on it.
639px-Leitsteine_nach_Tafel_VIII_zu_RAL_1937%2C_4._Auflage%2C_Dezember_1942.svg.png

( wiki link )
Looks something like this with saxon stones, pics from a rail sim.
5493-Leitsteine-jpg

( source )

Last edited:
As a side note, a few years back for a personal project that never got off the ground, I emailed the British Columbia transportation department to ask about road signage and markings in the 60s. I was sent a great package that detailed pretty much everything from the time period.

Might be worth getting in touch with some of council or transport authority for that area of Germany and seeing if they have anything?

Getting the vegetation density right, now all the 'base' 3D grass is in place. 19 new different plant types (plus the existing grass and trees), all in a single texture and material :)

In ksEditor:
kQ7dKvJ.jpg

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 496 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 304 42.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 328 45.4%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 159 22.0%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 195 27.0%
Back