DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Announcement Tomorrow?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0.jpg

Recent teaser images suggest a sequel to the very popular DiRT Rally could be announced by Codemasters tomorrow.

DiRT Rally took sim racing fans by surprise back in 2015, releasing to Steam Early Access without so much as a clue as to its existence and providing a welcome return to a more simulation focussed take on the world of loose surface racing than had been the case of late.

Following up DiRT Rally with the less successful DiRT 4, it very much looks like Codemasters have a nice treat up their sleeve with various postings of "2.0" across the Codemasters social media platforms, including tweets from both the FIA WRX and the son of World Rallycross champion Petter Solberg.. indicating that a new version of the rally and rallycross title might well be in the works...

DiRT 2.0 FB Teaser.png

With speculation running rife as to exactly what this could mean, and almost as importantly when we will find out more, Codemasters have just revealed the image at the top of this article, accompanied by confirmation that an announcement is incoming tomorrow at 10:30BST...

Not long to find out what's happening. Let's get DiRTy!

DiRT Rally is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC right now.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally sub forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming announcement? Do you think it will be DiRT Rally 2.0? Let us know in the comments section below!

Why would you preorder digital goods in the first place?
Some people still have rather shitty internet connection and can't download the game fast enough at release ,so they have to rely on preloads otherwise rip launch day .
Or some fancy bait like pre order exclusive consmetic junk and what not ,for example
Dark Souls 2 had a shitty pre order exlusive weapons that weren't even that good in first place so what was the point of that fiasco was beyond me ;c

Pre-order usually for discount/some extra goods (like a car in this case).

With Steam it can be actually be smart move, because you get the possible benefits and still have the refund right on release day

As for the Procedural stages... it could work, but would need total re-design, that isn't tile based but much more advanced. Or like 10X more tiles, to get rid of the repetition. But pacenotes would still be a problem, they suffered too in Dirt 4 due to being generated

Also, don't know if it's even possible to have procedural system, that would have amazing scenery like in Dirt Rally or WRC7 stages. Dirt 4 repetition wasn't only problem, the scenery looked overall bland

76f65589bf97a1c44d78503970d7f1d6.png

LOL, in Finnish Steam it seems DiRT Bundle is cheaper than just DiRT Rally alone. In hopes of someone accepting that crap for free?

Maybe a mistake (considering that on English Steam the bundle is 20,24€) but I still think the upper offer is better, since I hate seeing it in my Steam library

Last edited:
I’m optimistic. If Codies were planning another arcade title, they would just call it Dirt 5. Frankly, I just want more stages in more countries. I liked DR physics as they are.

I’m hoping for mixed surface stages. From tarmac to snow or dirt, from dirt to mud.

I would gladly skip the rally cross content too. Not that I hate it, but I’d much rather have additional stages.

I enjoy Dirt Rally and the RallyX aspect but, I lost faith in CM when Dirt4 released and they had no solution to address the issues with the weird loose-surface handling. There were (Still are) issues with the controller support that they seemed clueless about and the last time I tried to play Dirt4, I wasn't even able to get the steering working and finally binned the title for good.

There were areas of Dirt4 improved over DR but, others where they took some steps backwards imo. In the end, it was more frustrating than fun; one of the most disappointing purchases ever and in such stark contrast to how I felt about DR.

Any new Rally-based title by CM will have to get rave reviews before I even consider purchasing. Otherwise, there's only RBR and DR worth playing for me.

76f65589bf97a1c44d78503970d7f1d6.png

LOL, in Finnish Steam it seems DiRT Bundle is cheaper than just DiRT Rally alone. In hopes of someone accepting that crap for free?

Maybe a mistake (considering that on English Steam the bundle is 20,24€) but I still think the upper offer is better, since I hate seeing it in my Steam library

Yea yea super excited for a possible Dirt Rally 2 but wait...THERE'S A VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 4?! :confused::confused::confused: <runs to Steam to confirm> :D:D:D

It could be DiRT Rally 2.0 oooooooooor, it could be a remaster of Colin McRae Rally 2.0. Tomorrow will say.
Now on a serious note: if they improve over the DiRT Rally base (as spected) and they get rid of that procedural stage generation as the sole stages system.
You know, it's okay to have it as a backup, if it is an improved version of the one used DiRT 4, but imho, you can't say you are using a no-so-tested system, which makes stages all too repetitive, just because the WRC stages are licensed, because in the UK (as they are based there) there aren't more rally events, not to mention the whole planet, of course not!
And after my rant about the procedural stage system, we will have to keep until tomorrow to say anything else.

Like many of you, I'll probably get excited over nothing ref DiRT Rally 2.0.

:(

Codemasters could have replaced RBR years ago - had they got the expertise, passion, and wanted to please sim fans. Instead, Rallying (much like other Motorsport) has been held back by anyone producing Rally content post RBR. It pains me when devs don't much attempt to give the people who pay their wages, what they want. I know not everyone wants an RBR type experience, but with assists - you can please everyone.

We'll get a "mend and make do" progression from DiRT Rally and have to be happy. I'll stick my neck out now, and say that in all the time since DR1 - DR2 won't be a game changer. Codies much prefer the "safe" route. Look how they've strangled the F1 franchise in all the years they've had it. The only way that Codemasters will deliver a more realistic physics engine is if they stop putting studio staff in rally-school cars, and fit gps sensors in real cars, model a real stage, then build something from the ground up that closes the gap from real data - to the in-game engine. It's not rocket science.

Plus, if you do it that way, based on the data, there's no need to ask the community for handling feedback lol. The numbers will produce an accurate sim. You ask the community about features, and leave physics and tyre data to the pros and GPS, etc. But all of this is too much like hard work. I appreciate they seek feedback from a real driver, but that is only to fine tune an unrealistic experience to make it a little better out of the box. In the main, lets be fekkin frank, it's P.R bollox lol.

They've not proven me wrong in the last 10 years. My money says Codies will disappoint again this time around.

:(

I don't mean to sound negative. With advances in CPU's and GPU's in the past 10 years, I'm gutted that the Rally genre has suffered so much since RBR. Even though I'm on the brink of despair, I'll likely support them by buying it. If that situation is not broken, and sending the wrong message to devs - I don't know what is lol.

DiRT 4 was 100% fundamentally broken wasn't it.

What's annoying as someone who bought it, is that the whole Codies team knew, that once you'd got a day or 2 into the title, the crippling excuse for the very small number or corner variants offered from the course generator would ruin long-term enjoyment for many. There should have been 4 times the variations. There could have finally been a way within DiRT4 to make stages appeal real in terms of length AND flow. Something D4 never supplied IMHO. I found the snow stages in D4 the most unrealistic from memory.

I'd like (but likely won't get)…
*Long stage design
*Most of the countries, that feature within a WRC type environment
*Brand new deeper susp, tyres, aero, and physics modelling. Based on real world tyre data and GPS from real cars too
*Realistic lifelike flow on the supplied stages
*Replays that can lock to trackside (static) TV cameras, or an editor so users can create/save/export their own camera-sets to share with others
*DLC packs to expand cars and tracks further, as I've no issue making something better over time

WAY more realism, yet with more assists to help beginners.

Codies, please SURPASS RBR for the love of god, or just don't fekkin bother lol.

There are enough sub-standard unrealistic Rally titles already, don't bring another one.

I hope Codies prove me wrong. But I see no reason why Codies won't continue to strangle Rallying as they've done before. Year on year our calls for progress in the main remain unanswered. We'll get a token feature here and there, because some people requested it - but the fundamentals of a rally sim (amazing physics and realistic stages) will likely fall way short yet again.

I'd dearly love to see an engine like Assetto Corsa 2 get rally terrains, tyre models, and stages. Plus way more hill climbs the next time around. Even if it was via paid DLC. That way, I wouldn't ever have to pin my hopes on Codies, knowing full well they have no plans to "deliver" what most of us feel are most important for Rally sims.

IF CODIES prove me wrong, and actually address most of my points for DiRT Rally 2, I'll donate money to charity and provide proof in this forum... hell, if they only provide amazing physics and realistic stages I'll do it!!

Fingers crossed...

I just want more stages in more countries. I liked DR physics as they are.

I’m hoping for mixed surface stages. From tarmac to snow or dirt, from dirt to mud.

I would gladly skip the rally cross content too. Not that I hate it, but I’d much rather have additional stages.

I agree, I'd happily pay to licence WRX content specifically as an add on.

Build a kick-ass more realistic rally focused title, in the time you have. Then - add other things as a secondary task over time via paid DLC. Probably 50% of us would likely add WRX content. But with set dev time restraints, rallying content and progress in general is hampered by not concentrating on Rallying specifically.

I really wanted to like Dirt Rally, but the VR in that title just turns my belly upside-down-inside-out... no idea why. All other sims are fine, heck I don’t have an issue with Wipeout or arcade games with loops.

DR makes me want to puke...

There is very little hope that they will release a revolutionary product. A revolution is what would be needed to get me to waste more money on Codies stuff. DR suffered from one huge issue--the FFB was not connected directly to the car's physics, nor was the car physics directly connected to a properly modelled track/stage. Instead the stage is like a player piano scroll with pre-programmed canned effects that trigger the car to respond when it rolls over them. Perfectly fine for an arcade console game. Utter rubbish if you were expecting anything sim-like at all. It is this arcade-level non-physics that led people to claim the aged RBR was still better than DR. Sadly, in terms of the basic physics, it is/was. DR was better in every other way, but for some of us all that eye and ear candy adds up to nothing when the driving experience is so inauthentic.

There is very little hope that they will release a revolutionary product. A revolution is what would be needed to get me to waste more money on Codies stuff. DR suffered from one huge issue--the FFB was not connected directly to the car's physics, nor was the car physics directly connected to a properly modelled track/stage. Instead the stage is like a player piano scroll with pre-programmed canned effects that trigger the car to respond when it rolls over them. Perfectly fine for an arcade console game. Utter rubbish if you were expecting anything sim-like at all. It is this arcade-level non-physics that led people to claim the aged RBR was still better than DR. Sadly, in terms of the basic physics, it is/was. DR was better in every other way, but for some of us all that eye and ear candy adds up to nothing when the driving experience is so inauthentic.

I actually found the driving quite engaging. But I never drove a rally car. And, at least for me, eye candy is part of the experience. It sells to me that I’m really in the middle of a forest, and risking my life at 100mph.
Don’t get me wrong, I love RBR and spent hours upon hours on it. But I don’t think DR is nearly as bad as your comment makes it. Just my two cents.

Dirt Rally was an amazing title, but like most have already said Codies gives me almost zero faith they are going to do this right. I'd love to see a Dirt Rally 2.0 but I'm worried that this is going to be a more arcade-ish version kinda like F1 is.

I actually found the driving quite engaging. But I never drove a rally car. And, at least for me, eye candy is part of the experience. It sells to me that I’m really in the middle of a forest, and risking my life at 100mph.
Don’t get me wrong, I love RBR and spent hours upon hours on it. But I don’t think DR is nearly as bad as your comment makes it. Just my two cents.

It isn't bad unless you want physics-based car handling and FFB.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 430 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 268 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 287 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.1%
Back