DIY Wheel button box plans/guide?

My buddy has access to a HAAS cnc machine that can cut aluminum so Im thinking of building my own wheel button box/plate. Are there some plans/guides out there? Thinking this could be a really fun project.

Last edited:
Thingiverse is a good place to find STL files for free designs. There’s some pretty good button plates on there but be aware many of them say not to use their designs for profit. You’ll have to draft your own if you plan on selling.

Upvote 0
I built a button box from scratch.
FYI, I used plywood and then covered it all with leather look vinyl. So there are many ways to do this.
I wouldn't choose aluminum as a first choice for a button box.

Upvote 0
Thingiverse is a good place to find STL files for free designs. There’s some pretty good button plates on there but be aware many of them say not to use their designs for profit. You’ll have to draft your own if you plan on selling.

Thank you I’ll check them out, this is just personal don’t plan on selling.

I built a button box from scratch.
FYI, I used plywood and then covered it all with leather look vinyl. So there are many ways to do this.
I wouldn't choose aluminum as a first choice for a button box.

Thank you, I’m looking to make a wheel button box/plate not like a button box for the rig, not sure if plywood would work that wheel for a wheel.

Upvote 0
You are right, wrong application for an in wheel button box.

That said, I do think prototyping with cardboard or plywood can be helpful to testing out a proof of concept in terms o layout.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3546205
Or this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2107035
In my opinion, pay for Turn Racing or R Racing or If you don’t have a 3D printer, Buy the enclosure from OSR (carbon plate, much stronger than 3D print) and add your own shifters.
I build my own wheels and I don’t recommend cheap buttons. Use NKK or Knitter, cheap buttons feel mushy and are prone to failing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 321 35.1%
  • Porsche

Votes: 354 38.7%
  • BMW

Votes: 338 36.9%
  • McLaren

Votes: 220 24.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 335 36.6%
  • Intel

Votes: 115 12.6%