DIY WHEEL - What circuit board should i use

Hi All,

just started a DIY Wheel, and received my wheel a few weeks backs. this is a 5mm alu plate, which has a martin Ascher Spacer and shifters . looking for something small to install on plate and inside spacer.

will have around 10 push buttons , 2 shifter inputs and 4 CTS288 rotary encoders

I used BlueHID with just a 350mA lithium battery, that is enough to light the angel halo buttons on my rim for up to 7 hours!

http://www.u-hid.com/home/overview_bboard.php

IMG_20200804_132448.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1234936

Hi sorry for the hijack thread,

Is there a way to make the bodnar boards wireless?

If not I'll have to go with the BlueHID.

cheers

J

Upvote 0
Why is that?

they don’t delay on input and poll the signal rapidly. So encoder increases or decreases are detected at double rate. So when you click once, it fires like two or three times. You can code a delay which will resolve this but if you’re using joystick library with keyboard library for a matrix, that means you can’t mix and match different types of encoders. Cheap encoders like the EC11 have a worse rapid fire issue than CTS288’s (Leo Bodnar types) so the 50ms delay ends up making CTS288’s require two or three clicks for one click to be detected. Overall it CAN be resolved but you have to use the same encoders for the whole wheel and adjust the delay to make sure it feels natural.

i was able to build my own DIY GT button plate using Arduino Pro Micro but I’m just going to order the Simucube button module and rewire it because I have two Bodnar quality encoders for my brake bias and TCS and two cheap EC11 encoders for my thumb encoders because the Bodnar encoders are huge and don’t fit in the thumb area without making the entire button housing huge. The encoders don’t fire right with the Arduino so I’m giving up on it.

Upvote 0
so my plan was to have 2 rotary encoders, 6 buttons on my wheel. wired up buttons to BU0836A but when i connected the rotary encoder, which is a cts288 didnt work at all. updated firmware, used the config software and set to 1:1 and still nothing. am i doing something stupid

Attachments

• 20200913_203240.jpg
    20200913_203240.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 313
Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 296 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 239 28.1%
  • WEC app/website