Driving Guide | Improvement

Oh dear, a rambling Jamie essay again!

Improvement

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A phrase often used in commentary is “he ran out of talent.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Talent is as much a requirement in simulated motorsport as it is in the real world; and getting to know exactly how you can expoit that talent is a very long-term, difficult and sometimes frustrating path to follow. Practice is the basis upon this process of 'enlightenment' so to speak is achieved, but it is somewhat disappointing that the majority of individuals aiming to improve themselves go about it by non-optimal means.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Practice isn't a universal concept; indeed there are many different ways in which you can go about improving yourself and one individual will get more out of the same type of practice than another. However; during my experience here at RaceDepartment and in the wider sim world, I've seen plenty of people focus solely on lap times as if that is the only criteria on which their performance will be judged.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Clearly, this is not the case – being able to go quickly around the track fast is of course an advantage, but it's not necessarily going to help you cope when you're stuck in a 8-car bumper-to-bumper snake going through a complicated corner sequence; and unless you've got the skills to cope in a vast plethora of racing situations, you will be at a disadvantage to those that have.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] People that come to RaceDepartment generally conform to certain stereotypes – there are those that come in with perhaps real-world racing experience that drive at the top of the field with a certain kind of aggression; there are those that generally sit in the midfield quietly and hope for the best; there are those that join TeamSpeak for their first race and make everyone laugh instantaneously; and there are those that may be very badly struggling for pace on day 1 but possess exactly the right approach and are willing to put the time in to improve themselves to the level of those that they find themselves with.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] I have the utmost respect for that last group; they should be an example to us all because despite whatever scraps they manage to get involved in on-track, despite the fact that they're 30 seconds down on the car in front, they soldier on because they recognize that so long as they're on track with other drivers, there is always something for them to learn from the experience; and it is those people that I have in mind when writing this.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] These people have a headstart on others when it comes to what is required for improvement – they have the correct mental approach already, but in addition to that, certain other things are necessary – You need to be willing to spend the time researching and studying the car you're in as well as driving it, and you need to be in a network of individuals that are willing to assist each other such that they can all learn from driving with one another.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] First of all, though, you need to be able to get around a track reasonably reliably in the first place. Speed is very low in the priority list at this stage; but so long as you're able to lap comfortably at your own pace without incident, you're already doing better than most people on public servers seem to be able to do. This is the skill that benefits from simple every-day solo lapping practice that most people solely associate with the term 'practice'. I'll come on to other practice methods shortly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] On the matter of off-track research, I firmly believe that how comfortable you feel in a car is of much greater importance than how fast your laptimes are in it. The world of car setup is very daunting for the unfamiliar; pages of numbers and graphs, alien terminology and physics; but I assure you that none of it is beyond the reach of the mere mortal. More important than the setup itself is your skill of setup diagnosis – that is, the identification of handling problems. Only once you know what is wrong can you do something about it. One problem I had in the 2008 RD WTCC league was that in the Leon, to me the car generally felt 'meh' as opposed to any particular trait; and it was only at the last round at Macau that thanks to one of my teammates doing some research on dampers, we had a setup that suited the car, the track, and our driving style.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Once you can diagnose what you think is wrong with the car, you can take steps to address it, and this is where doing the homework will pay dividends. Trawl the sim-racing communities looking for scraps of information; read the guides that are available out there, and ask other people that already have a solid grasp – when you have a car that is set up to suit you, the confidence it brings you is not to be underestimated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] My own grasp of car setups, although still incomplete, stems from a lapping session with my teammate Anthony at Okayama in the Toledo. After some educated experimentation we had both ends of the car absolutely wedged into the ground, and in the event following, I knew exactly how it would react in all situations, and it gave me a massive amount of extra confidence.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Having others willing to help you is also important; as well as the fact that two heads are better than one when it comes to car setups, it opens up a number of practice techniques that will teach you elements of racecraft – the ability to follow, the ability to defend wisely, the ability to judge the driving of someone else and become comfortable with them - These are the skills that you will rely in the world of simracing; these are the skills that seperate those that can lap fast to those that can race well – only a very small number fit into the middle ground.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Once you're happy lapping the track and are reasonably comfortable within the car, go out on-track with a friend (or teammate, I use friend to mean both here) and ask him to lap at his own pace. Then, follow him as closely as you can, intending to pass but not actually passing; the friend should not attempt to defend but instead largely ignore you as much as he can, slowing down to allow you to catch up if required.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] This will teach you several things. Firstly, it will teach you a new element to track knowledge – where the opportunities are. There are certain corners at every track where passing just isn't an option, and there are other corners that you may feel the need to 'have a look' before you get to the braking zone – and because your friend shouldn't be deviating from the racing line, you'll be trying out new lines on potentially dirty parts of the track; a very valuable addition to your knowledge when it gets to crunch time in a race.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Then, repeat but don't intend to pass at all – wedge yourself on the back of your friends car without contact and try and maintain it there. Being this close for a great length of time is a very difficult skill to master, but by being able to stay close behind a rival in a race, perhaps through one of the corner complexes where it is difficult to pass, you will give yourself the chance to get a run on him into a corner where an opportunity lies. The pressure alone of having a car behind you for such a length of time is often enough to force a mistake, giving you the position.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] In addition to that, you will (if you haven't already) gain an element of trust between you – and if you can form this level of trust with your rivals also, by following them for a lap or two, then you will find yourself much better poised to cope with whatever situation arises.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Next, swap positions with you in front and your friend behind; this time though, go defensive – see what works and what doesn't; and study how your friend copes with your actions. Going defensive at the right time is another skill that takes time to master, but get it right and you'll not only keep your position without endangering anyones race, but you'll earn the respect of your rivals.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Then, with the two of you or perhaps more, go all-out and have a practice-race (not an actual race but one held in a practice session); when one person falls behind slow down to allow them to regroup; deliberately swap positions so that everyone gets a chance to be in all positions within the snake; it'll test all of the skills that you will have picked up, and one side-effect is that it's great fun as well. Expect crashes and mistakes of course, but since these are your friends/teammates and hopefully damage is off, it doesn't matter – unlike in an event, of course. One side effect of this practice method of course is the fact that it's massive fun. :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] This type of practice is so much more valuable than solo lapping, or even indeed participating in events – being able to hone your racing skills in a sandbox-like environment with people you know well is a massive advantage to being part of a team, and I implore those that are are solo runners currently to go out and join (or form) teams with those that they enjoy racing with because you'll all get so much out of being together.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] However, from my experience at RD, most people turn up at events having done either very little or no practice at all, or simply hotlapping practice which simply does not adequately prepare them for what they're about to do, unless they're fast enough to run away on their own at the front which to my mind is missing out on what racing here at RD is all about.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] So; a summary - In order to improve, you need to have the right attitude, the will to invest time in studying the technicals behind car behaviour and how to react to it, and a friend or group of friends that are willing to invest the time in group practice outside of events. If you have all three, then you're well on your way up the timing screens and up the points tables. [/FONT]

What you ahve to get used to sadly in public servers is most drivers who race there are only intereted in racing for fastest laps

You will often find a really quick alien will be on a busy server on pole, and leave right before the arce starts, its just a pot hunting exercise for them, they know the races are pointless coz theya re eitehr gonna win by hours or get taken out.

What really annoys me is when you are in a qually session and everyone has done loads of laps and peopel vote no or ignore votes.

Its not llike a modders game where people need to learn tracks, everyone knows their way round Brands or Valencia, so why keep bloody hotlapping!!

Hotlap offline, race online thats the point! I think Simbin missed a trcik here not making the races quicker to ram through online like you could in GT Legends

I could race 5 times in an hour on Legends and that got me on the pace far more than a few hours hotlapping

• leahcim

What you ahve to get used to sadly in public servers is most drivers who race there are only intereted in racing for fastest laps

This is because, contrary to fantasy, the winner is the guy who completes the race with the set of fastest laps that total to the the shortest amount of time overall....and the whole point of racing is about being on the edge.

So yes, that does mean that when you take a bunch of people who are anything but racing drivers who try to find the edge, lots will crash, and you can pootle around like granny going to Tesco and win...but there's a reason why I roll around laughing when you guys want to put yourselves on TV and get this recognised as a serious sport and the motto "Race like Granny going to Tesco on a Sunday, and hope the fast guys crash" is one of them :)

(Of course, in reality, the fantasy hope is that you can undo years of technology and skill in real racing and magically recreate the days when drivers and cars weren't as good and so they were overtaken with the lead changing hands over and over. It won't happen though. You can't un-invent the wheel, although the FIA try.)

If you can't lap fast then, yes, you can opt to not win by following the others, but you'll never get faster by magic. otoh, some opt to try to drive faster - because they can see someone in front of them is - even if that makes them slower.

But, yes, you can probably win races by "driving around slowly and not crashing" and this is a viable strategy against people who are equally poor (but who try to drive quickly and don't) and it's very valid in computer games.

I note that when you click on the site and it starts the TV thing automatically how often it's folk spinning off and crashing like they're dancing swan lake...or bumping and crashing into each other. Clearly driving slowly is a winning strategy in these circumstances.

But, consistency is what you need /after/ you can drive fast, not before...otherwise you'll just be consistently poor.

Driving is not the skill you need either, you need to learn how to play the computer game in front of you.

What really annoys me is when you are in a qually session and everyone has done loads of laps and peopel vote no or ignore votes.

It's really the fault of Simbin. By trying to be "realistic", but instead being like Far Cry 2, where you often have to "walk 300 miles" across virtual Africa, before you get to do something in the game.

The converse is, you join a server and whilst you're trying to just do 1 qualifying lap, you've folk racing against you (as though that makes any sense at all) and others constantly trying to vote the session away rather than simply waiting for the time to end (which, BTW, if you buy a device called a "watch" or "clock" you can measure away from the computer - freeing up the time to go away and do something whilst you wait...except of course if the buffoons voting actually succeed. But now you realise why the voting is actually dumb and means you have a longer tiresome wait than you would if it was removed :) )

But, yes, the essence of this "game" is, as you note, lots of farting about doing nothing, generally with people pretending to race for hours in various practise / qualifying and warm up sessions, before a few minutes of "racing"

No wonder folk get frustrated if there's an accident.

Which, probably isn't completely unrealistic, but is, of course as you note, nevertheless completely dull and achieves nothing. Even if the timing is realistic, the actual reality of what happens during that time IRL is very different from the game in any case.

Its not llike a modders game where people need to learn tracks, everyone knows their way round Brands or Valencia, so why keep bloody hotlapping!!

You're probably wrong here. I think you'll find most either don't know the car/ track combination (I bet if you could get stats you'd find that most players only know a few of the tracks intimately and that the %age of players who have driven on every track in the game and every car isn't close to 100%)

Throw in a general lack of players and servers, and often you'll find yourself in that situation - the only choice you have is, at best, one out of the two, but often, just to race online, you have to wing it in unfamiliar territory.

Or, if they do know the car / track they're still desperately trying to learn to play the game at this point. e.g they're trying to get those 54.xx or 55.xx laps of Brands Hatch indy they've seen some get in the mini, instead of the 56s and 57s that anyone can get.

In this respect, the game is again at fault, it offers nothing at all to help.
So what do you expect? Of course most people can't play it, because there's no way for them to learn how to play it.

Hotlap offline, race online thats the point! I think Simbin missed a trcik here not making the races quicker to ram through online like you could in GT Legends

Yes and no, Simbin missed lots of tricks to turn this into a game :)

One thing it could do is give the players a clue as to how to get the fast lap in the first place. Merely hotlapping over and over, online or off, isn't likely to help...otherwise they would be quick already :)

You'll get the 80% (which is really just learning the car/track), and even the 90% that way, quite quickly...with every corner taken wrong and with the worst habits in the world you can still lap within a second or so of the top times...and then if you're daft enough you can do that "consistently" and never get any quicker, or, if you eventually find someone to tell you what you should be doing, try to unlearn all those "consistent" habits someone told you, you needed.

The rest of the time? Well most don't even know why they can't do it, let alone are they in a position to offer advice to others.

What they probably do know is, once they've got within 1 or 2 seconds of the top time, when they try to get the extra, they're either the same or slower.

So this is where you come in. You stop trying, you simply decide that it's better to be 1 or 2 seconds slower and lose than it is to try and get that 1 or 2 seconds quicker and still lose.

The irony is, most of these threads waffle on about how being fast doesn't matter, simply because they don't know how to be fast.

And I mean specifically, vague nonsense like "slow in, fast out" or "be consistent" or "be smooth" and other silly maxims, generally are nonsense or don't actually make you fast anyway (i.e you can go slow in and fast out and be smooth and consistent and take 5 minutes, or 50 minutes to lap Brands Hatch if you want)

It seems more like classic rationalisation to me. "I can't do it. Ergo, I shall deem it's not important and even say the people who can do it and beat me in a race are obviously special in some way, like they come a different planet...but I also use the word "hotlappers" in a slightly disparaging way because I have the green eyed monster"

Given a game that few buy in the first place and where historically the "difficulty" has been deemed, in the community, in media press and reviews etc "driving around the track without spinning off" - you can see how someone who plays the game and merely gets around the track can believe that was the goal.

So 99% who do play it are slow drivers too or crash all the time, so you're onto a winner...you really can believe that being fast doesn't matter.

Sheesh, its even true for the WTCC IRL these days, I keep V+ recording it to watch only to see 60 minutes of preamble, the start and, after a lap or two, the aftermath of pile ups and crashes (and often that's just the safety car!), followed by a red flag and then the programme ends. What a farce...and they keep saying "It's in HD" now as though they've made it better.

• SimbinRacer

Well leahcim, I don't agree much with you as usual. It's not that you are totally wrong but that you are watching the world through your very shaded window of cynicism. To encourage you to "get better" I'll pick out the parts that I do recognise.
The converse is, you join a server and whilst you're trying to just do 1 qualifying lap, you've folk racing against you (as though that makes any sense at all) and others constantly trying to vote the session away rather than simply waiting for the time to end (which, BTW, if you buy a device called a "watch" or "clock" you can measure away from the computer - freeing up the time to go away and do something whilst you wait...except of course if the buffoons voting actually succeed.
The other day I joined online when there was 7 min left of qualifying at Valencia. So I hurried around the track and started my hotlap out of 3 possible. At the end of the straight this guy comes out of the pit without checking the mirrors but I manage to scrape past him on the inside without too much loss of time. Then he begins to race me! After turn 6 he approaches on my inside which would obviously take away my racing line completely if I had let that happen so I block him quite harshly to give him a message type "back the f*** off, you're on you outlap, I'm not!". So he brakes late behind me and push me off the track instead. That was the first time I was writing chat profanities in this game. The weird thing is that he was a decent racer (had him running ahead of me in the race) and using his real name as it seemed. Becauce those people are usually decent folks that understand what's fair and what's not.

LOL at the "buffoon voting" comment :D. That happened to me too. Also at Valencia another time. Ran a decent 6th place on the grid or so and went for a cup of coffee while quali timed out. Only to watch the race in progress when I came back! Dammit.

Sheesh, its even true for the WTCC IRL these days, I keep V+ recording it to watch only to see 60 minutes of preamble, the start and, after a lap or two, the aftermath of pile ups and crashes (and often that's just the safety car!), followed by a red flag and then the programme ends. What a farce...and they keep saying "It's in HD" now as though they've made it better.
Guess you watched the Porto race this weekend. Sounds like a perfect description of what I saw was going on. It will probably be better next track. On city tracks they have to make riskier manouvers to gain a place and Farfus overtake causing the red flag in race two was only a whisker away from succeeding and in such case would've been a truly awsome overtake instead. It's a fine line.

Now on topic. Here are some links on driving techniques that I think fit this thread and that I find very good:
http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/driverseded.html
http://www.turnfast.com//tech_driving/driving
http://www.virtualracersedge.com/physics_of_racing.htm

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 295 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 239 28.2%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 155 18.3%
  • Watch party