EVERYTHING OCULUS VR

I was a doubter, VR no way, who wants to sit with something on your head you look really silly! well, after buying a new pc last week and one of my gaming buddies going on about how brilliant vr is....................... I went and ****in bought one. Spur of the moment cheap brand new off ebay. Well I can't believe it I mean it's so hard to describe but it is the most amazing fantastic awesome thrilling experience I've ever had in sim racing. Words just can't explain it. Pcars Nordschleiffe in a Caterham was like well I mean.............. It's taken a few days to get used to it and I'm now in debt but fook it, this is what I've been waiting 38 years for. OMG and any other things lol. Yes it has a few problems which I'm sure will get sorted but if you're sitting on the fence then all I can say is do it!

27102-6753807.jpg
:laugh:

Upvote 0
I purchased the CV1 about three weeks ago. There was no longer any wait time to get one and it was supported by AC so I ran out of excuses not to try VR for the first time :).

I gave it a good test with AC, making sure I optimised the graphics as much as possible to get the best image.

It seemed like an advantage to be able to look into the corners naturally like you do in real life but my pace wasn't any quicker.

As has already been said, the issue is resolution.
You really want corners to come into focus sooner than they do, especially in a quick car.
A quick glance to read a number on an app can be a struggle depending on the size of font and colours used.
Info on the car dash can be a bit blurry and you find yourself moving your head forward to try and see it more clearly.
etc...

So after giving it a good test and thinking about do I really want to put up with these issues ?
The answer was "no" and so I sold the CV1 a couple of weeks after buying it.

I'm still interested in VR but I'm happy to wait a couple of years for the tech to improve. In the mean time I'm thinking of going triple screen as I've never done that before :rolleyes:.

I have a GTX 970...is it strong enough to run the oculus VR at 60 fps?

You need 90 fps for VR. If you turn off post processing in AC, 970 should be OK.

Upvote 0
Does anyone feel like their monitor is now useless when using VR? You are already looking through the VR headsets screen.

I don't own a VR device and don't plan on to any time soon. Not at least until pricing is aimed at the (reasonably not cheap) adverage budget gamer. I know I may have one in the future because the VR looks very immersive and "out of this world." Right now, it's no where near a must have for me.

Another question, has Anyone been able to play online/offline practice/qualy/race sessions lasting about 2 hours? I've read that people often take breaks after 20 minutes off using VR. Now if you ask me, $800 CAD for OR (plus shipping and taxes) plus an pc upgrade only to use it for 20 minutes at a time is very concerning and a big dissapointment.

Also, I just wanted to add, for those of you who think that gaming on a monitor/tv is like looking through a window? They are right. Then they go on about VR. But with a projector screen, large tv/monitors (minimum 43 inches), tripple screens or a large ultrawide 21:9 monitor and you sit close enough, the immersive gaming experience is increased. My monitor is 34 inch 21:9 ultrawide screen and sits right behind my wheel. I also have the monitor tilted down. So racing with that setup feels more like I'm looking through a winshield of a car. Paired with my new trackir 5, racing has been one hell of a game changing experience!!! VR is a life changing experience because you are inside the virtual world like when the game cube drops in mainframe (like the show "Reboot"):roflmao:
I bought into trackir even though we are in 2016 because I'm just not ready for VR. Some people dislike trackir because you turn your head one way but your eyes are looking at the center of the screen. My advice; get a bigger monitor and spend more time tunning your trackir. Mine is setup so my head only turns towards the edge of my monitor comfortably. My eyes follow my head movements left/right.

I'm not bashing VR, I like where its heading. I just want some answers

Upvote 0
It's the 3D aspect of VR that gives it the immersion, everything appears to have depth.

Comfort is a big issue. Weather was hot when I got my CV1 and I couldn't use it for more than two minutes at a time and I've got a big fan above my monitor. Had to wait until it cooled down before I could give it a proper test. Although to be fair, it rarely gets hot in the UK but it did add to my reasons for selling it and waiting for the next gen of VR.

I used a 40" 4K monitor placed just behind my wheel for more than a year before trying the CV1. I did try a head tracking device (EdTracker Pro) with the monitor but I found the experience pretty bad. When I looked into the corner I didn't turn the steering the right amount. Couldn't tell what the car was doing and it made me feel a bit sick. I didn't have that issue with VR at all. I was getting close to my best times after a dozen laps of using the CV1.

Upvote 0
Does anyone feel like their monitor is now useless when using VR? You are already looking through the VR headsets screen.

I presently have a single 30" TV as my gaming monitor and occasionally when doing a quick configuration test and/or quick car setup test, I will drive with this monitor instead of going under the hood with VR. Is my monitor useless? No of course not. I could not function without some sort of TV or monitor. But it is not the preferred way I want to race. The single TV lacks the immersion that VR gives me. For sure I would like to have triple monitors over the single TV, but I am still playing the waiting game to make sure my VR headset won't fail on me. If the head set ends up failing because of some sort of long term hardware failure, I would considered using triples. But I would hate to spend money on triples (which would include having to buy a new stand for the triples) and never use them if I have a functioning VR device.

Oh and yes you really car look through the turns in VR, you really can look to the apexes. You have to try VR to understand VR. For me it's a game changer even though the current resolution of the headsets is inferior to the resolution of a good triple monitor setup.

Another question, has Anyone been able to play online/offline practice/qualy/race sessions lasting about 2 hours? I've read that people often take breaks after 20 minutes off using VR. Now if you ask me, $800 CAD for OR (plus shipping and taxes) plus an pc upgrade only to use it for 20 minutes at a time is very concerning and a big dissapointment.

On average most of my VR stints last about 45 to 60 minutes, and yes I have been under the hood for a 2 hour stint on more than one occasion as I have this insane ideal of doing the "24 Hours of Numburgring" race in Project Cars. Of course I won't be driving all 24 hours. I am thinking of driving anywhere from 8 to 12 of the hours with a 3 hour stint being the longest I would attempt and let a CPU teammate drive the rest of the race.

Do I sweat under the hood while in VR? Yes I do. But I also don't live in a hot and humid climate and the sweat is manageable. Now I am using the Vive (not the CV1) and presently have only used it with Project Cars and who knows if the Vive is better or worst for racing than the CV1 is. Only those who own both headsets can say one is better than the other. However for me, every penny I have spent on my new sim racing rig which was purposely setup for VR was worth it.

Upvote 0
I had the privilege of testing the OR in Holland (thanks Henk!) with AC, Dirt Rally and Iracing.
I was really sceptic before but I couldn't believe my eyes.
Never thought it would be that immersive.
Graphics were okay and looking into the corner felt so naturally but it takes a bit to adjust completely I can imagine.
Haven't bought one yet, although I was pleasantly surprised, but upgrading would be a massive cashdrain and everything is running very fine on my triples atm.
So for now I am playing the waiting game, letting VRsystems evolve some more and when my gpu gets a bit too outdated I'll make the switch, definitely.

If I wouldn't have had triples already I would have bought an OR immediately so in my opinion going for triples now is an outdated mindset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But then we don´t have 100 % compability VR is really racist in term of what sims you can run. But for sure going from rFactor 2 to Assetto Corsa Rift you start to question why you should race in sims that don´t have VR support. I do happen to have a good answer but if they both had the same functionality it would be an absolute nobrainer.

I have to get in the annoying preacher group it´s really the next generation simracing :).

Speaking of rFactor 2 has somebody got anything going with vorpx or similar? I suspect it only works on DK 2 and old runtimes? If I can get at least half the VR experience I don´t have to be quite as bitter having to run that sim.

Upvote 0
After pre-ordering within the 1st hour, then latter cancelling, I finally bought a CV1 just over a week ago. The two things that had me worried pre-purchase, were motion sickness and the perceived resolution.

Yes, I can see the pixels, and the light bloom from the lenses are noticeable. However they don't really bother me, once I'm engrossed in the sim/game/experience it just doesn't register. Motion sickness has only been an issue once with Dirt Rally. Tweaked the settings to 'lock view to horizon', and have been fine since... been doing 3 to 4 hours at a time with no issues. Alternating between Lucky's Tale, The Climb, Assetto Corsa, iRacing [online races], ETS2/ATS, Dirt Rally and Elite Dangerous. Hope to get Flyinside this week for Prepar3D.

Really happy that I bought the CV1 :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Anyone thinking about waiting till November (Black Friday) to purchase the CV1? Or just pull the trigger now, I was initially going to buy the Oculus Rift, but now the HTC Vive seems like a more immersive experience.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 463 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 305 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 179 27.1%
Back