Fanatec DD1 quick release 1, does it contain the firmware or is it the DD1 itself.

After getting no reply from Fanatec Support I thought I would try my luck here-
The issue- Updated the software on the DD1 and Clubsport F1 wheel- the auto update seemed to work until it got to firmware update the Quick release- I received the message unable to access the file or something along those lines- The wheel would then boot turn the wheel 20degrees to the right and the screen on the DD1 would go blank-- and the firmware updater will automatically open, repeating the message about an issue with the Quick release.

Tried multiple attempts and followed the directions in the software about checking which motor firmware is installed and putting the unit into boot mode to install software 344 (cant remember the exact one) Got the DD1 to work and then proceeded to install the latest software 455 and firmware-
This time I tried the manual update method and was able to get the firmware update to the motor and the base- but again the firmware could not update the quick release.

This time when I try to reload the old firmware back to 344 it does not work because now the motor is on firmware 3- so the dd1 just boots with the fans running at full speed.

Its been 2 weeks since I contacted support and was wondering if anyone knows if-
1- the quick release hardware could be replaced (i have seen a used part for £30) if that contains a chip on board that the firmware is looking for, but my guess is the board for that is inside the base so will not help.
2- Override the firmware for the quick release so at least I can get some life out of the wheel base.

Ive been using Fantec products for at least 8 years and not had any major issues but this has really wound me up after spending 10 hours trying to find a fix.

I couldn't wait for Fanatec and while looking for a fix it now seems common that Fanatec are slow to react to support . So I purchased an Asetek Forte Wheel and base. If the DD1 does get fixed I will sell it now.

thanks but for some reason I cant login to the forum to post - Im logged into my fanatec account and I select forum, I select connect with Fanatec Europe account and connect - it tells me I can reset my password if I click here, but there is no link. So looks like the fanatec forum is having issues. Will try again.

There is no chip in the quick releases they are just pieces of metal. So it's either a software or hardware issue.
Once you update to a certain firmware there is a process for reversing it. I don't know it off hand but there are people on the driver thread of the forum that can advise.
Best of luck.

Its' the WQR in the base.
The WQR is not the physical QR used to attach the wheel to the base.
It is the wireless communication in the base that sends\receives data from the wheel.
It is burried very deep in the motor itself requiring full disassembly of the motor package inside the base to get to to replace.
Basically, your DD1 is bricked with a bad\failed WQR in the base and will need to be repaired by Fanatec.
Fanatec is very slow responding to service requests but they will at some point.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 68 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 24 31.2%