Fanatec's 'brake performance kit' and 'brake damper kit'...

Watching the Barry Rowland review of that product... When he was road-testing it, I was amazed at how hard it seemed to be to depress the brake pedal... I don't think I'll like that. But, I guess it's what the performance kit accomplishes is what's important...giving the driver the ability to more accurately apply brake pressure. Is that the significant result?

Upvote 0
The standard pedal has 2 x PU foam "springs" — after trying a few different combinations I ended up using one of the original PU foams along with a 13mm green. This gives a great halfway house between the rock hard (whatever combination you go for) competition kit and the original — with around 40mm of travel. Which to me feels a lot like my real car — where the pedal is reasonably progressive rather than just rock hard to start with.

I put the damper on the brake because... brakes are hydraulic and throttles are not — and the throttle in my daily driver is electronic anyway — and can't say I have ever felt it lacking.

Upvote 0
The standard pedal has 2 x PU foam "springs" — after trying a few different combinations I ended up using one of the original PU foams along with a 13mm green. This gives a great halfway house between the rock hard (whatever combination you go for) competition kit and the original — with around 40mm of travel. Which to me feels a lot like my real car — where the pedal is reasonably progressive rather than just rock hard to start with.

I put the damper on the brake because... brakes are hydraulic and throttles are not — and the throttle in my daily driver is electronic anyway — and can't say I have ever felt it lacking.

i'll try that after i got my v3's yesterday

Upvote 0
I just got the V3s a week ago, with the performance kit. also, on Barry Rowland's recommendation. I did not think I would want maximum resistance, as I like a little more travel in the pedal than Barry does. I drove the brakes as is for a couple days, and definitely decided i need to stiffen the pedal. i finally settled on the medium stiffness, felt most comfortable to me.

anyways, long story short, i think the performance kit is a must have item.

Upvote 0
I just got the V3s a week ago, with the performance kit. also, on Barry Rowland's recommendation. I did not think I would want maximum resistance, as I like a little more travel in the pedal than Barry does. I drove the brakes as is for a couple days, and definitely decided i need to stiffen the pedal. i finally settled on the medium stiffness, felt most comfortable to me.

anyways, long story short, i think the performance kit is a must have item.

Easy to install? I'm not handy...... Love it when the handy guys always say, "It's an easy install"... :(

Upvote 0
i'll try that after i got my v3's yesterday

For sure worth trying with the existing PU springs. I'm considering cutting them down also — and going for a combination of PU foam, red and green of equal lengths — or perhaps more like 3/4 green and 1/4 PU. No reason why you can't put smaller ones back in, so not destroying anything by doing that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is fairly easy. Just watch the Sim Racing Garage video and you should be fine. I am not terribly handy either, just go slow.

One of my major 'not-handy' achievements was my last computer build (the one listed below)...

That rig I built with a CPU water-cooling loop with EK components. That was hard for me. Problem was when I booted it for the first time...NADA... I had a damaged new Asus MB. So, I had to take everything out of the case, break down the water loop, and send the MB back for replacement. When new MB arrived I decided not to put the water-loop back in, and I just went with a Noctua heatsink/2 fans setup for the CPU.

That pic shows my Noctua fans... 3 in case front as intake, 3 on top of case as exhaust, and 1 in rear of case as exhaust. It was quite time consuming installing the water loop.The radiator is in top of case above the fans. What looks to be an extra piece of tubing on the 'floor' of the case is a maintenance drain tube when you have to remove the coolant.

I can 'do' computer stuff, but hammer/nails/screws/woodwork.... forget it, I'm terrible.

Sorry, hope this is not considered a 'thread-hijack'...oops.

Attachments

• 2018-12-26 10.38.59.jpg
    2018-12-26 10.38.59.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 111 44.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 117 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 69 27.7%
Back