rF2 Formula Vee @ Mid Ohio - Thu 16 May 2019

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Manual shifting is very simplistic in rF2. It might not even be possible to misshift I believe.
Why would it not? I misshift probably once a race, going from 2nd to 5th instead to 3rd. Then you have to be quick to get back to 3rd and hope you don't hit 1st while trying to do so. The H-shifter on the G25 is pretty crappy, but you're getting sort of used to it. I don't see how rF2 could / should prevent that. The same goes for clutching - if you don't blip the right amount on downshifts and clutch in, the rear starts to act up. That is partly why cars like the Skip or the FVee are so rewarding to drive - you have to get it right every time or you'll lose a lot of time or probably spin out and swear like a pig on TS.

@Matt Rosum By "misshifting", I meant "not engaging the gear because your shift was not executed properly as the car/transmission would require IRL". I didn't mean skipping gears (either intentionally or by accident), that is absolutely possible. And yes, you can lock the rear wheels if you don't blip or if you blip incorrectly. But the gear will still engage.

If you've ever driven H-pattern cars in AMS, Raceroom (now after they've reworked the transmission model) or AC, surely you must be aware of how lenient rF2 is with proper shifting techniques. Again, I don't think it's even possible to misshift in rF2 - I don't use clutch on downshifts because I still can't heel and toe properly, and I don't remember ever missing a downshift in rF2, and that's with autoclutch off. Meanwhile, in Raceroom, even with autoclutch on, downshifting can still be a challenge with many cars.

Please elaborate.
With rF2 you can ignore the clutch and basically shift anyway you like without consequences (no damage, no clutch, no downshift protection, rarely have to blip on downshifts or lift for upshift). I know not everyone would agree, but I find learning to adapt to the different shifting specification and limitation, part of the pleasure and challenge. It would be nice to have these features without forcing them on anyone (but at least maybe prevent abuse of the gearbox and advantage (sometimes) of unrealistic shifting procedures).

These FVee normally requires you to heal and toe on down shift and is actually a great car to learn the technique because you basically only use 3rd and 4th gear. It will also influence and in this case help how you actually corner with the car. Braking early, downshift (heal & toe) in strait line (helping with lift off oversteer) and back on throttle early to control the rear of the car and help controlling rotation. (helping steering with your feet).

You can of course pretend to heal and toe and its still fun. :D

Sorry for the little offtopic :whistling:

I agree with the recent posts. From what I can tell is no real gearbox damage simulation altogether in rF2. Which is disappointing. The only shifting related damage is engine damage from revving too high.

The Cobra in rf2 do have something called realistic gearbox in the Tuning menu.

Haven't tried it -- its probably only longer shifting times .....

Last edited:
So, as far as I understand you guys, your issue is rF2 allowing to not use the clutch on shifting (and it'll work, still) and to not destroy gearboxes / engines when mismatching? Alright, I sort of can see that. But if you use the clutch pedal anyway, the effects on the car balance and proper heel'n'toe technique are still pretty decent:
  • If you mismatch the revs on downshifting and clutch in, the rear (in a RWD car) will step out depending on how big the mismatch and how loaded the car is
  • If your clutch timing isn't right, there is accoustic feedback and imho also a moment where full acceleration is not possible
  • If the car is on the verge of spinning, you can disconnect the powertrain from the tires and the simulation does a decent job in determining if this helps or works against you in the current situation
  • Clutch kick works
I've rarley had the impression that rF2 shifting limitations posed a problem on clean driving. There are other factors like the messed up car behaviour on the gras or on some curbs that I find to be a lot more annoying.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 475 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 288 42.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 312 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 139 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 182 26.8%
Back