c536a444-a13d-493a-a165-7c9b1e004fac
9836910d-21c5-4c6a-ac59-e5122070b4da
fed61f32-8f91-45dd-afbe-ad08b5c26fdd
01d27eb2-0f2e-4f2f-b023-3ae31aec1157
fd0301b4-696b-4e95-9da4-1c0a529d9bf6

So I picked up this game for my son on xbox and works great, we purchased it through the game pass to test it out at a cheaper rate before determining which edition to purchase...hoping for a xmas sale :)

Long story short...I have the xbox app on my pc rig racing and linked accounts.
I downloaded the game on the ms store using the game pass.

The game downloaded, starts but always crashes back to desktop after the studio 10 splash screen.

Running the lastest nvidia drivers and re installed but still crashing.

Any ideas?

• Deleted member 197115

Try to unplug or disable in devices your VR HMD if you have any.

Forza Horizon 4 October Update 2.jpg

Forza Horizon 4 has been updated, and with it comes a brand new and exciting feature - Route Creator!

The new update deployed today to Xbox One and Windows 10 PC variants of the game, brings some significant new functionality to the new arcade racing title, not least of which is the highly requested ability to create your very own racing routes through the picturesque English countryside found within the game.

The route creator feature allows players the ability to select several options from a number of game altering variants within the title, offering things like different seasonal conditions options as well as the ability to create a "track" of up to 40 miles in length - all editable in game and shareable with the Forza community!

As well as the headline grabbing new feature, the October update is still noteworthy for the number of fixes made available across both platforms - addressing a number of key areas that have come under scrutiny since the game released back on October 2nd.

FH4 October Update Notes:

Route Creator

This update adds the Route Creator to Forza Horizon 4. Create custom routes of up to 40 miles from any Asphalt, Dirt or Cross-Country Event starting location. Draw the custom route by driving your car, and place checkpoints anywhere you want to. Blueprint Creator has been updated to allow you to use custom routes.

Forza Horizon 4 October Update.jpg

New Horizon Story
This update adds a new Horizon Story to Forza Horizon 4 called 'British Racing Green', which explores a century of cars built in Britain. Access the story in Broadway by reaching Level 50, and unlock a new quick chat phrase, a new unique clothing item, and the classic Bentley 8 Litre.

Cross-Platform Fixes
  • General stability and performance improvements.
  • Multiple engine audio improvements based on community feedback.
  • Added quit option in Quickplay Team Adventure after finishing an Adventure.
  • Improvements to Force Feedback understeer effect
  • Fix for progress loss on Forzathon Challenges.
  • Fix for rewards not being awarded in Seasonal Championships and Trial events.
  • Fix for blurring on the edges of a moving target car in Photo Mode.
  • Fix to avoid early completion of Trial events and allow all events to be finished.
  • Fix for VIP House reward exploit.
  • Fix for reset system not placing the car correctly when changing season after an event.
  • Improvements to free-roam Drivatar behaviour, when driving round tight corners
  • Fix for calculation of team score in Horizon Stories Co-op sessions during time-based challenges.
  • Fix for Forzathon Weekly Bonus not updating correctly in the UI.
  • Fix for HDR brightness calibration screen.
  • Fix for traffic cars not spawning sometimes after a Barn Find cinematic.
  • Fix for displayed value of VIP house when VIP owned, but house not purchased.
  • Fix for rotating wheels when car is stationary in Pause Menu, ForzaVista and Drone Mode.
PC Fixes
  • Fix for video options being lost when tweaking AMD GPU clock speeds.
  • Increased quality of grass and tree procedurals at distance when Procedural Quality setting is set to Extreme.
  • Fix for 'low streaming bandwidth' message on high spec PCs when GPU-limited.
  • Fix for crash when changing audio devices whilst a video is playing.
Xbox Fixes
  • No Xbox-specific fixes.

Forza Horizon 4 is available on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC now.

Check out the Forza Horizon 4 sub forum to stay abreast of the latest news and discussions around this upcoming new arcade racing title.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you tried the new update? Do you enjoy FH4? What do you the new route creator? Let us know you thoughts below!

Image Credit @testdriver77

Last edited:
Would be nice if they stopped forcing us to bind useless keybinds to our wheels. I only have 2 buttons on my wheel and the game doesn not allow me to bind the required quickchat, useless anna and map to anything else other than my wheel. Great design choice!

Been having a blast playing this with my son on xbox, tho I still can't get the game to stop crashing to desktop after the first splash screen on pc..furthest ive gotten is the mclaren driving down the road where it says press enter but none of my inputs register?

Ill give it ago when I get home tonight and see if the update has fixed my issues.

Looking forward to the new feature and creating some custom offroad tracks as I was having fun using the old blueprint option to customize races and share with the community

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

After update it launches with WMR HMD connected.
If only they added support for OSW or at least EmuWheel.

Has anyone managed to get the fanatec shifter 1.5 working in h pattern. Can assign in custom wheel profile but does not work in game. Also in profile for CSL ps4 it show unrecognised device for gears. The shifter is connected to the wheelbase. Any help appreciated.

Been having a blast playing this with my son on xbox, tho I still can't get the game to stop crashing to desktop after the first splash screen on pc..furthest ive gotten is the mclaren driving down the road where it says press enter but none of my inputs register?

Ill give it ago when I get home tonight and see if the update has fixed my issues.

Looking forward to the new feature and creating some custom offroad tracks as I was having fun using the old blueprint option to customize races and share with the community
Do you have MSI afterburner installed, if so close it down before you launch the game

i bought the vip early version and all, was so excited about it, and i had the same issue... i tried at work and it was working fine. A bit frustrating !
Lot of people said it was due to possible "overlay" msi afternurner and all that, i have no idea what it is, nor if i have any installed on my computer so yeah...i refunded it.

Weeks later, impatient as i am, i bought the "cheapest" version, and this one is now working on my computer, but not at the office anymore. Nothing makes sense XD

Has anyone managed to get the fanatec shifter 1.5 working in h pattern. Can assign in custom wheel profile but does not work in game. Also in profile for CSL ps4 it show unrecognised device for gears. The shifter is connected to the wheelbase. Any help appreciated.

I use the Thrustmaster TH8A but i had also probs before.
Open a new thread in the FH4 section so then i try to help you.
There is maybe a solution.

Cant get the game to use the shifter in h pattern?? Unrecognised device when using fanatec wheel profile and if i use custom it recognises buttons and maps them but does not work in game. Any ideas??

Shifter connected to cll elite for PS4 wheel

Ok Cas, did you plaxed the Demo before?
FH4 has probably a bug at the moment.
The devices in the Demo were recognized properly but in the full release something is messed up.
My TS-PC, Clubsports V3 and the TH8A worked good.
In the full release i was not able to save my settings.
The i tried some workarounds from the FH forum but the problems were still there.
Meanwhile i have managed it somehow to work. I will post you my way what i have done.
Maybe you can get it to work.

First, you have to download/ install the Demo of FH4.
Play ist, set up your devices and post here if your hardware work in the demo.
Then we will check next steps.

*be aware to backup your files befor doing it*
Here is a description what i have done to get it to work:
For me it make not really a sense but it resolved my problem...
That were my steps:

1. Copied (backup) the whole folder "wgs"located in:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData

2. Deleted "wgs" from FH4 full game folder
3. Copied "wgs" from FH4 Demo folder
C:\Users\PROMETHEUS\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ForzaHorizon4Demo_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData

4. Deleted "LastUsedProfile" from
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState\scratch\User_PCLocalStorageDirectory\ConnectedStorage\InputTranslationManager

5. Started the game and FH4 wanted to synchronize. It took several minutes. Then game started but still no FFB was available.
It looked like i use the same setting like before.. so i deciced to roll back what i have done.
6. Deleted "LastUsedProfile" and "wgs"
7. Copied back the "wgs" from backup folder
8. "LastUsedProfile" i just ignored (leave InputTranslationManager folder empty)
9. started FH4 full game and noticed that the FFB is working!!!
10. Tried to rebind axs and buttons on my wheel and suddenly i was able to save my settings!
11. Meanwhile i was able to drive around and the FFB works now fine.

Do you have MSI afterburner installed, if so close it down before you launch the game

I tried the new update this morning on the pc version and it fired up and worked perfectly.

I was excited to try the game on my rig and was actually really surprised how good the ffb felt for an arcade racer....not sim quality but alot better than I expected from past Forza titles.
I might even pickup FM7 for the xbox down the road.

Only issue ive encountered is that my fanatec csl elite pedals won't register with my thrustmaster tx wheel...but if I plug in my tx pedals to the base all is good.
I also cant get my seperate usb ebrake to register either.

Anyways looking forward to speeding some more time with the game and dialing in the ffb.

Performance on my old i5 3570k/970 is surprisingly really good on high graphics!

Overall iam really impressed and having alot of fun, nice change from serious sim racing :)

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 69 73.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 20 21.3%