Goodwood Circuit

Tracks Goodwood Circuit 0.99

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ok just tried the GT3 cup and I have to concur with Lilski, I don't really feel the bumps too much in my wheel which is low-mid range so that might be a factor, but you can see the camera shaking and the FFB meter going up and down like I'm driving over cobblestones. Do you feel the bumps as much as you get the visual interpretation @LilSki? Not sure which wheel you're on.

I'm not even on a wheel right now I'm just using the gamepad (wheel and rig is downstairs). I always design my bumps with the gamepad. I've gotten pretty good doing it by eye.

Also you will only "feel" the bumps if one tire hits a bump and the other doesn't. If you go over a bump that both tires hit equally the wheel should give little to no feedback.

I'm not even on a wheel right now I'm just using the gamepad (wheel and rig is downstairs). I always design my bumps with the gamepad. I've gotten pretty good doing it by eye.
Cool then I'm not sure what's going on but it feels right on my wheel, but it just looks very bumpy visually in that car.

Formula cars has rather big profile tires that adds damping, also high downforce makes it stick to the road. I don't know about the Miata video it looks good for me.

I also would like to add my 50cents to the topic about spotting bumps - I think even better is to observe cars from external views. Also looking at white lines helps to understand undulations. Also helps to look at the shadows created by car headlights when it is dark. Also when it is hot lots of shimmering happens in those places where are bumps:
9LeJs4E.jpg

Also I wouldn't bet too much on 911 GT3 Cup, that one is definitely too bumpy. But thats the reality I'm afraid. It even upsets over "Gurney" bump which is right after the finish line, massive undulation, almost an elevation change.

Formula cars has rather big profile tires that adds damping, also high downforce makes it stick to the road. I don't know about the Miata video it looks good for me.

I also would like to add my 50cents to the topic about spotting bumps - I think even better is to observe cars from external views. Also looking at white lines helps to understand undulations. Also helps to look at the shadows created by car headlights when it is dark. Also when it is hot lots of shimmering happens in those places where are bumps:
9LeJs4E.jpg
Yes but drive the F1 cars we have in sim and compare to that video. The sim is way too violent.

I'm sorry but these are too big. And yes I know this is the visual but it also follows the physical.
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_goodwood_circuit_15-9-117-17-47-0.jpg

Yes I am well aware he is still learning and here I am trying to help and getting shot down. I didn't come in here yelling "it's all wrong what the hell are you doing??!!!!?!" did I? I said I felt it was too bumpy and have shown enough evidence to prove that point.

Ok just tried the GT3 cup and I have to concur with Lilski, I don't really feel the bumps too much in my wheel which is low-mid range so that might be a factor, but you can see the camera shaking and the FFB meter going up and down like I'm driving over cobblestones. Do you feel the bumps as much as you get the visual interpretation @LilSki? Not sure which wheel you're on.
I'm driving with an OSW and yes, the bumps are very pronounced in the FFB.
Doesn't make it undrivable. The bigger issue is that the back might step out in T1, if you're not careful, like you can see it in my video at the end.

Also the bumps in the braking zone after the "straight" (a bit before the back steps out in that video) can be very tricky in some cars.

In the end, I can't tell if the bumps are too strong or if they are spot on.
For me, they are ok and add character to the track and that's what I care about. ;)

hehe, was kidding... we all very much appreciate your help indeed.

Btw, this is the problem with Lidar data, right? You have to smooth mesh quite a lot. So is still not accurate. Or am I wrong?
Yes in general you can't build directly on lidar even after smoothing. I found it best to build the conventional way on a curve and just using the lidar as a reference.

Unless somebody that has raced on this track in real life steps in to say otherwise, please don't change a thing regarding the bumps.
The 911 GT3 Cup skips around, as it should seeing as how it is a super stiff (possibly too stiff in AC?) modern racecar, yet it never tries to hop off the track or anything crazy.
Soft vintage cars feel extremely 'natural' on this surface IMO.

Off to test more (and learn the track) and will report more findings later, but until then THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

imo, its too all to easy to like an exaggerated track bump and also get the idea they are realistic especially when the physics are then exaggerated, it seems fashionable . However its not realistic, it needs just a hint of a bump to produce character. the character on offer on this track is immediately available, and it should only happen beyond certain speed thresholds (IMO) driving slowly it should be somewhat smooth.

if you use your eyes and look at the track, the bumps are exaggerated, everything is exaggerated to the extent that car gets thrown around the track as part of the "game" experience. and that is what is at fault. look at the track and you will see what any track designer or architect will see as way to bumpy. its not how they pave tracks. and its not how they naturally subside either. in my experience with lidar. don't add to it. rely on what there and if its not good enough, then its not good enough.

It wasn't designed as a race track, originally it was simply a road around airfield, of course it must have been repaved numerous times, and I don't know how much better it really got.

But I used LiDAR data as actual data and not just as a refference for layout, elevations and cambers.

P.S. just found out that I have missing PIT surface in surfaces.ini, so will have to do a quick update just for that :/

that is quite a convincing image to be honest.

when I build on lidar, I build 2 splines rails for the track sides based on the lidar, and filled it in. same as centre line splining but with the sides, I suggest trying that, rather than use the lidar itself. results are really good, and it captures the sides just like in that night image.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 28 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 7 2.2%