Graphics

markg88

Premium
I'm fairly new to using rF2 but so far I really like it because the cars seem to feel more life-like to me. However, why is it that the graphics aren't to the same or similar standard to other Sims such as Raceroom, AC etc? It doesn't put me off rF2 but just surprised that it looks dated.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for me (personally) RF2 & RaceRoom are more life like whilst AC/ACC are more "bells & whistles" eye candy.
Every Sim is different in its approach, every Dev has their own interpretations of what is "real" when it comes to Graphics, but specifically for RF2 they are currently going through a lot of graphical changes to the lighting and stuff so expect it to "improve".

Fair point Marc. For me, the feel of the cars is the most important aspect of a Sim and is why I like rF2, Raceroom and Automobilista. AC looks nice but many cars just don't feel right to me and I can't be bothered to spend hours setting up when I can abort the game and play rF2 or Raceroom.
So, even though I can accept rF2 graphics, they do make it difficult to spot reference markers at some points of some tracks. An improvement there would be good.

I'm currently searching for graphics improvements for rf2, mines just look really bad when all the photos I see look awesome, I'm not looking for post-processing mess, just iracing like graphics?

I haven't played for a couple of releases , but having just bought the Ferrari 488 GTE (great car), my environmental (track) colours seem a lot more washed out than I remember. Has there been some sort of update that has effected the colour overall? A bright day has the sky looking rather dull and everything looks a bit washed out with false colour. Zandvoort 2020 looks terrible. The Ferrari looks great though.

I'm currently searching for graphics improvements for rf2, mines just look really bad when all the photos I see look awesome, I'm not looking for post-processing mess, just iracing like graphics?

I'm fairly new to using rF2 but so far I really like it because the cars seem to feel more life-like to me. However, why is it that the graphics aren't to the same or similar standard to other Sims such as Raceroom, AC etc? It doesn't put me off rF2 but just surprised that it looks dated.

Why don't you both take some screenshots and post them here? Feedback just stating the graphics are bad is impossible to really do much about, it could be a million different things like graphic settings not being optimal or a problem with the particular car/track, etc.

Why don't you both take some screenshots and post them here? Feedback just stating the graphics are bad is impossible to really do much about, it could be a million different things like graphic settings not being optimal or a problem with the particular car/track, etc.
John-Eric, is there really a need? It's a simple graphics comparison between rF2 and other titles 'out-of-the-box', so to speak. I assume you have seen the graphics quality of the titles we mention, are you saying that out-of-the-box they are all as good as one another to you?

John-Eric, is there really a need? It's a simple graphics comparison between rF2 and other titles 'out-of-the-box', so to speak. I assume you have seen the graphics quality of the titles we mention, are you saying that out-of-the-box they are all as good as one another to you?

It isn't simple at all because rF2 has content spanning over almost 10 years. If you decide to run on a track like Sepang which was built somewhere around 2010 for a GPU with 1 GB of VRAM, obviously it will look much worse than say, Le Mans that was released last year. Same story with other games, the brief moment I tested Raceroom some time ago, the car and track combo I drove with looked much worse than latest content in rF2, but again it might just have been because the Raceroom content I decided to run with was made long ago.

It isn't simple at all because rF2 has content spanning over almost 10 years. If you decide to run on a track like Sepang which was built somewhere around 2010 for a GPU with 1 GB of VRAM, obviously it will look much worse than say, Le Mans that was released last year. Same story with other games, the brief moment I tested Raceroom some time ago, the car and track combo I drove with looked much worse than latest content in rF2, but again it might just have been because the Raceroom content I decided to run with was made long ago.
OK, thanks John-Eric, that's fair enough and makes sense. Sepang is an interesting example to use as I was surprised at the graphics and wondered why it was chosen as a track for a recent esport 'Legends' race.
I am new to rF2 so will try newer track content and investigate more.

Yeah it could be, everything turned up max, will check how old the content was.

What? What tracks and cars are you using? I bet is the ones from mods. RFactor 2 now have a more real look than the other sims BY FAR! Assetto Corsa for example just looks like a cartoon... a videogame...

RF2 is more close to photorealism than ever. Try the new Ferrari at Le Mans (official car and tracks) and you will see.

Last edited:
What? What tracks and cars are you using? I bet is the ones from modes. RFactor 2 now have a more real look than the other sims BY FAR! Assetto Corsa for example just looks like a cartoon... a videogame...

RF2 is more close to photorealism than ever. Try the new Ferrari at Le Mans (official car and tracks) and you will see.
ok, thanks. I think I have only downloaded one mod track, Nurburgring. Maybe I ought to spend some pocket money on newer content.

Hello guys
I just can't play this simulator.
there is no sense of speed. the car is extremely slow, although the speed on the HUD is 200km / h it seems to be 50km / h. What can it be?
I use graphics in low.
I can play Assetto Corsa and Raceroom at High without any problems.
my PC is an i3 2100 and my VGA GeForce GTX 580, but I play these others quietly.

Hello guys
I just can't play this simulator.
there is no sense of speed. the car is extremely slow, although the speed on the HUD is 200km / h it seems to be 50km / h. What can it be?
I use graphics in low.
I can play Assetto Corsa and Raceroom at High without any problems.
my PC is an i3 2100 and my VGA GeForce GTX 580, but I play these others quietly.

It`s the field of view! Go to the option and set a hot keys to increase and decrease the FOV (you have that option). You can have the sense of speed of a bullet if you want! in your case you have to increase the field of view

In regard to rF2 graphics, the trackside objects and stuff outside of track and cars can often make it look worse than it really is, because they can be pretty simplistic, even in official content, and give the impression of a decade old game. Doubly so with mods. But the cars and the track itself tend to look very good I would say. Night looks kinda off and meh. And lights on cars are pretty weird. Car interiors have also not been great, but looking at the recently released Ferrari, it seems like this is finally changing too.

Generally I would recommend looking at the latest content if you want to see rF2 at its best. It can look very good (IMO):

rFactor2_2020_05_30_00_14_39_827.png

rFactor2_2020_05_30_00_39_37_269.png

rFactor2_2020_06_01_02_54_29_695.png

rFactor2_2020_06_01_02_58_34_464.png

But at the same time, it can also look like this (still official content):

i-thjfkDM.png

i-DFKXK7s.png
i-d769W6b.png

So there really is a fairly wide range of how it can look and giving specific examples and screenshots is certainly needed.

I play rf2 at 4K with graphics maxed out and it can look awesome, especially with the latest lighting improvements. Depends on track, car and time of day. 4K goes a long way to make everything so much sharper, especially in the distance.

I play rf2 at 4K with graphics maxed out and it can look awesome, especially with the latest lighting improvements. Depends on track, car and time of day. 4K goes a long way to make everything so much sharper, especially in the distance.
I have ordered all the parts for a new pc build, maybe I can run 4K then :)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • Yearly

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.4%