AC GT3 @ VIR - Sun 18 Aug 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Ooooohh! That's a departure!
What do you know that we don’t John:sneaky:
He has used Joel's R8 setup and now is as fast as Joel ;)

Haha, thought Craig might say something but...... yikes! :roflmao::laugh:

Jay is closest:p, I can't get within a second of my best at the same track and car a year ago, got totally lost with a setup - weird 'cos the macca feels faster and better in every way, just can't get the lap time:(So, figured 'a change is as good as a rest'... but will probably regret it!

With Joel's setup I can match my times from a year ago - and whilst it is quick, it's a bit too nervous for me, so now it's a mongrel.... I used another back end (from setup market) to reduce it to my skill level:laugh:

F**k me, I feel guilty already:D:laugh:
naughty.jpg

Last edited:
Improved Qualifying setup, should be pretty good with mediums as well for the race and feels more stable with mediums. Adjusted almost everything except: Gearing, FR Toe, Camber and Sus. Stiffness, Diff settings.

@Asterix Audi will actually handle the softs if the temps are under 24c and there's no excessive sliding goin' on. Bit too much drifting and you're F***ed

Attachments

• JK_1.4X.9_VIR2 QSoft.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Improved Qualifying setup, should be pretty good with mediums as well for the race and feels more stable with mediums. Adjusted almost everything except: Gearing, FR Toe, Camber and Sus. Stiffness, Diff settings.

@Asterix Audi will actually softs if the temps are under 24c and there's no excessive sliding goin' on. Bit too much drifting and you're F***ed
Thanks for this Joel, really appreciated:thumbsup:

Don't care too much about lap times (err, almost:p ). If I can get the confidence I had in the macca for South Bend and Hog Pen I'll be very happy;)

Thanks for this Joel, really appreciated:thumbsup:

Don't care too much about lap times (err, almost:p ). If I can get the confidence I had in the macca for South Bend and Hog Pen I'll be very happy;)
It's actually pretty stable through those(if you get 'em somewhat right), only problem is Oak Tree and the really bad pitching through it. The Rear is rising from 33-36mm during braking to 70-73mm when lifting, and the only way to try n' sort it out is through the dampers(because stiffening the front wheel rate to control the pitch results in horrible understeer everywhere else), but the problem is that I already got them right, according to Damper Histograms and Velocities in Motec :O_o:

I’ll have just returned from my holiday, so no chance to practice for this one, but after reading all that’s gone on
with so many different drivers and the merry go round of people swapping cars, should be one of the most interesting races I have been in for ages.
Soooo looking forward to seeing how this soap opera turns out on the day.;)
My money is on SCG as the dark horse in this race, I think it will be well suited to this circuit.:thumbsup:

It's actually pretty stable through those(if you get 'em somewhat right), only problem is Oak Tree and the really bad pitching through it. The Rear is rising from 33-36mm during braking to 70-73mm when lifting, and the only way to try n' sort it out is through the dampers(because stiffening the front wheel rate to control the pitch results in horrible understeer everywhere else), but the problem is that I already got them right, according to Damper Histograms and Velocities in Motec :O_o:

Joel, I'm not so familiar with VIR, but which turn is Oak Tree?

I mean Oak tree can certainly make you lose some speed for the long straight, but for myself Im much more worried about trying not to fly of the track into next state on south bend and hog pen turns for those 75 minutes, thats gonna be a real test:roflmao:

@Asterix Audi will actually handle the softs if the temps are under 24c and there's no excessive sliding goin' on. Bit too much drifting and you're F***ed
I've not driven anything else except the Porsche this week. Just had a cabby in the Audi and it's like a magic carpet ride by comparison :cry:

Oak tree plus....

Yes, agree with that, pretty much know the circuit
but these bends, plus some of the other parts of the circuit needs some practice to fine tune 75 minutes of racing though them. Or, you know trying to sort in
the race is going to lead to trouble.
I’m lucky, in that I will be looking as always for a top 10 place, so these bends are important to me for trying to achieve that.

I've not driven anything else except the Porsche this week. Just had a cabby in the Audi and it's like a magic carpet ride by comparison :cry:
Totally agree, James. Your setup (again thanks for that :thumbsup:) for the 911 is very fast but so tricky (rearwing 12???:confused:). I tried about 12 rounds and only in one I could keep the track. That was my fastest ever btw. But I had that also with the Audi with Joels setup. You aliens can handle that kind of car behaviour but as a mortal I must sadly :( use a more conservative setup in order not to end up lawnmowing in almost every lap.

Totally agree, James. Your setup (again thanks for that :thumbsup:) for the 911 is very fast but so tricky (rearwing 12???:confused:). I tried about 12 rounds and only in one I could keep the track. That was my fastest ever btw. But I had that also with the Audi with Joels setup. You aliens can handle that kind of car behaviour but as a mortal I must sadly :( use a more conservative setup in order not to end up lawnmowing in almost every lap.
I agree with you on the aero - a couple of clicks both ends and the car is far more stable. PB'd on softs, which is fine for a few laps but even Meds burn up at the rear really quickly. It's definitely a car that takes some driving - typical of me to choose it for this track never having driven either before - :p

I think we'll be ok if we can keep it on track, not fast enough to hang with the other cars really, so need to be consistent.

Last edited:
Driving back to the Uk, bit bored, so forgive the ramblings.:rolleyes: If I remember the 911, has no front aero adjustment, could be incorrect in that, plus the mechanical front grip is very good.
combine this with rear engine, makes it very difficult
to balance the aero grip with a low wing but this comes with mechanical front bite once aero is reduced.
You end up getting a double hit, unstable with mechanical grip, unstable with low rear wing aero grip.
So, you cannot run with a low rear wing, and you do not want to sacrifice its good front mechanical grip by making it understeer excessively.
As soon as you start to remove large amounts of rear wing you end up with an aero unstable car.
It also seems to need a lot of rear wing to help compensate the high mechanical front grip at lower speeds.

So it can get unstable when aero is the major contributor, then unstable when mechanical grip is the main contributor, relaying on getting power to the rear to stabilise the whole process. Making the car very quick out of the corners, but having to almost totally rely on driving techniques rather than the chassis.

I can easily run the GT-R with no rear wing or wing at 12. It tends to be naturally mechanically understeery,
with ok front aero so you just live with that. Basically putting your faith in its power and torque to compensate for its under steering nature. Rear wing for me is mainly for lap times.

I have always been fascinated with the 911, but have
kept away from the difficult job of setup. It is a fascinating car.

No I am not driving and writing this.

Will any one tell me if I am right or wrong on this assumption.:sleep::sleep:
:)

Driving back to the Uk, bit bored, so forgive the ramblings.:rolleyes: If I remember the 911, has no front aero adjustment, could be incorrect in that, plus the mechanical front grip is very good.
combine this with rear engine, makes it very difficult
to balance the aero grip with a low wing but this comes with mechanical front bite once aero is reduced.
You end up getting a double hit, unstable with mechanical grip, unstable with low rear wing aero grip.
So, you cannot run with a low rear wing, and you do not want to sacrifice its good front mechanical grip by making it understeer excessively.
As soon as you start to remove large amounts of rear wing you end up with an aero unstable car.
It also seems to need a lot of rear wing to help compensate the high mechanical front grip at lower speeds.

So it can get unstable when aero is the major contributor, then unstable when mechanical grip is the main contributor, relaying on getting power to the rear to stabilise the whole process. Making the car very quick out of the corners, but having to almost totally rely on driving techniques rather than the chassis.

I can easily run the GT-R with no rear wing or wing at 12. It tends to be naturally mechanically understeery,
with ok front aero so you just live with that. Basically putting your faith in its power and torque to compensate for its under steering nature. Rear wing for me is mainly for lap times.

I have always been fascinated with the 911, but have
kept away from the difficult job of setup. It is a fascinating car.

No I am not driving and writing this.

Will any one tell me if I am right or wrong on this assumption.:sleep::sleep:
:)
Very good summary of my relationship with the 911!:thumbsup: I would like to divorce her but the other cars don't seem to like me!:(

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 28 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 7 2.2%