Have Your Say: Are Graphics Important?

Some interesting comments.
Comes down to immersion, we all maybe look at different aspects of immersion with a variation of which are more satisfying or important. People will always want better visuals and high framerates. Graphics cards sell so well on a yearly basis for a reason. Eye candy in visuals always sells not only the actual software but also hardware upgrades.

While what we have seen has been limited I think Forza 7 is going to be rather epic visually for those lucky enough to have a large HDR 4K screen. The clouds, the lighting, high res textures and various graphical effects will be quite a jump beyond the current crop of titles that are popular.

Until you know what their confidential internal sales targets and projections were you can't comment on whether the amount of sales were a success or failure.
failed, yeah right, sold close to 3 times as many copies as Assetto Corsa, and some 45 times as many sold copies that Automobilista, .. yeah what a failure compared to successful AMS ... omg people

take the personal feelings away from saying things about something being failure

if AMS really only sold 35k copies, that's what I would called failure from a developer point of view

Reiza probably gave for free as many copies of AMS as it sold.

Of course graphics are important, but not as important as handling and physics. If that wasn't the case then we'd all be waiting for the next Need For Speed.

But a point that a lot of people miss during these conversations is that the graphics can only be as good as your system allows them to be. For example, with my system, I can max out Assetto Corsa at 1080p, 60 FPS (and even throw some graphics mods in there too). But I'd probably only be able to set low-medium graphic settings in the more demanding Project Cars 2. So would the (slight) graphical improvements on my system be worth sacrificing Assetto Corsa's superior physics for? In my opinion, no.

Last edited:
Of course graphics are important, but not as important as handling and physics. If that wasn't the case then we'd all be waiting for the next Need For Speed.

But a point that a lot of people miss during these conversations is that the graphics can only be as good as your system allows them to be. For example, with my system, I can max out Assetto Corsa at 1080p, 60 FPS (and even throw some graphics mods in there too). But I'd probably only be able to set low-medium graphic settings in the more demanding Project Cars 2. So would the (slight) graphical improvements on my system be worth sacrificing Assetto Corsa's superior physics for? In my opinion, no.

Looking at that perspective you could then say people with cheap wheels like a Logitech DFGT compared to those with a DD wheel will not get the full benefit of the physics. So their wheel hardware will depend on their perception of the physics or their own possible driving potential within the sim.

You have to take into account that depending on the user's habits and preferences, some may prefer to spend £1500-£2000 on system upgrades like a GPU and possibly a cheap but decent 4K HDR TV as well. A fancy DD wheel with professional quality rim is not cheap but will only enhance racing games. Are we still allowed to call them "games" when the hardware and costs for them, now get so serious and expensive? The system upgrade or GPU/Display will benefit all games and other media like TV/Movies too. So we can suppose that such depends on the users requirements how each may be valued or perceived as a benefiting purchase.

As for Need For Speed visually it also looks rather exciting and could be a very entertaining eye candy and satisfying title for what it is. Graphics are very much part of the entertainment enjoyment and satisfaction.

Last edited:
Looking at that perspective you could then say people with cheap wheels like a Logitech DFGT compared to those with a DD wheel will not get the full benefit of the physics. So their wheel hardware will depend on their perception of the physics or their own possible driving potential within the sim.

You have to take into account that depending on the user's habits and preferences, some may prefer to spend £1500-£2000 on system upgrades like a GPU and possibly a cheap but decent 4K HDR TV as well. A fancy DD wheel with professional quality rim is not cheap but will only enhance racing games. The system upgrade or GPU/Display will benefit all games and other media like TV/Movies too. So depends on the users requirements how each may be valued or perceived as a benefiting purchase.

As for Need For Speed visually it also looks rather exciting and could be a very entertaining eye candy and satisfying title for what it is. Graphics are very much part of the entertainment enjoyment and satisfaction.
I agree completely. But I think a lot of people look at games like Project Cars 2 and simply assume that it will be better looking than (for example) Assetto Corsa on their current system. My point is that this isn't always the case (and even if it is, it might not be that much better).
Keep in mind that Project Cars 2 will probably cost £30 - £40. The upgrades to your PC to play Project Cars 2 at max settings will probably run into hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds.
If you already have a system that can max out Project Cars 2, then I say give it a blast - it looks beautiful! But if you don't, then I don't personally think it'd be worth spending those hundreds of pounds on PC upgrades for a game with poorer physics.

Last edited:
View attachment 211555
Sim racers often say the thrill of virtual racing is in the on track experience, but how much importance should be placed on graphics in modern racing games?

Often we find a racing title has either one or the other - great graphics and poor physics, or less than ideal visuals and a sublime experience behind the wheel. Now that we are in 2017 and technology ever improves in game development, exactly how much importance should be placed on the visual experience of a racing title, and does lesser quality graphical presentation of a game break immersion when in the throws of a racing situation?

So for today the question is this -

How much importance should be placed on graphics in a racing simulation, and do below par visuals have a negative impact on the gaming experience?

Have fun debating and leave a comment below!

The vehicle handing model and physics should come first, and Race course modeling like start track green then get rubber in or weather change the track surface from rubber in to wash way the rubber grip, later in race or session.

Sounded like an easy question at first ... I can't stand Rf2 graphics on using a monitor but then I only enjoy racing pixelated VR graphics in AC .. I'll take $hit VR graphics over amazing 4k on a monitor.

When our screens are getting bigger and sharper and use of VR means that graphics are important. Or course most important part are smoothness, no jaggies and no pop-ups with long rendering distance with high refreshing frequency.

I rate Paul Jeffrey as one of the best reporter on race department, just a question, did ISI and Studio 397, ask you to write this have your say?, if so tell them Yes Graphics are important, now get cracking in updating their dated graphics engine, rFactor 2 still looks dated and in most cases flat, and right now Race room racing experience is the only good looking Gmotor engine based title, it maybe called lizard, but it is still using elements of Gmotor.

I will take back my comment on rFactor 2 graphics. :whistling:
Bentley Continental GT3 coming for rFactor2.

[Message to site admins - Race Department is running really slow today 17/09/2017]

37105946442_637d915d9f_o.jpg

In a sim you want to have the most realistic experience possible and good graphics definitely help for more realism. But still i think things like physiks are more important.

Comes down to immersion, we all maybe look at different aspects of immersion with a variation of which are more satisfying or important. People will always want better visuals and high framerates. Graphics cards sell so well on a yearly basis for a reason. Eye candy in visuals always sells not only the actual software but also hardware upgrades.
I agree that immersion is the key and there is nothing more immersive than VR. But the visual quality is so poor by comparison it really detracts too much from the sense of awe of 'being inside the car', as does the strain of trying to see clearly on a pixelated image exactly where your turning or braking point is as you approach at high speed.

There are 2 "simulations" separate categories : Arcade games like Pcars, forza, ....... and the simulations like Rf2, AMS, R3e and AC in the middle.

I bet Pcars2 will be a magnificent game easy to play. It is not intended to simgamers, the purpose being to sell the largest number of customers. Bandai would have no interest to do a pure simulation. This is not a criticism, It takes all tastes.

I've read some nonsense in my time but these two posts take the biscuit!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Yearly

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 3 1.8%