Have Your Say: Is The Future Electric?

The 'scientific community' you are referring to, when it comes to 'global warming' is backed government, they fund them.
If they disagree, what do you think happens to the funding?
No funding, no job.
Copies of emails that your part of the 'scientific community' have sent to each other are available online, if you look. Emails going into great detail on how and why they have to change data, to make x look like y. Wonder why?
Data from 'Global Warming' computer predictions has been changed, to make things look bad. It is all there if you take the time to look.
That is some next-level tin-foil hattery. Holy smokes.

The death of our planet will come when alternative facts and conspiracy theories are considered to be the "truth". It's legitimately scary knowing that some people are actually nutty enough to think that Climate Scientists are all just in it for money, and that it's all just a giant hoax.

What a load of crap.

Anyway, we should really get back to this thread being about motorsport. Conspiracy theories, political discussions and misinformation really aren't what RaceDepartment is for.

If the racing in the electric series proves to be good, then I'll be happy. Sure the sound is a loss, but if the racing is good then few will care.

Last edited:
You mean let's keep it a politically correct zone here.

No wonder so many people are willing to have their harmless sports hobbies and interests defaced and destroyed in the name of PROJECTING this ecological concern facade that has no actual basis in science just so they can get some SJWs points from their counterparts.

Ultimately this attitude only sends a very clear message of what kind of effeminate and weak men we (and by 'we' I mean you) are. And that's why Europe will end up in chains sooner than later.

If you're willing to throw such a rant just for a moderator telling you off, the only weak man here is you.

Good lord, global warming is government backed now. I have a 9/11 Moon Landing Bridge I can sell to some people.

Let's make fun of Elon Musk. The man invented PayPal, online news and can land rockets that NASA can't. The mans clearly an idiot and will never have a successful business venture. A guy on a forum said so.
4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg
page-8

Well, context here... Is Formula E the future? NO! Is electric racing going to become the future? Yes. Is electric racing the near future? No.
Formula E sucks for a whole list of reasons excluding their (admitted) lackluster under-powered electric engines. But look at what current Formula One cars have in terms of their hybrid engines compared to a few decades ago. Look at some of the electric race series that are actually somewhat successful for being in their very early stages. There's no doubt eventually racing will have to convert to electric powered eco-friendlier cars but it's going to take at least a lifetime before it becomes very relevant.
Pretty save to say Formula E IS the most successful electric racing championship. Where do all the manufactures go? Which other electric championship gets this amount of attention (or more)?

Yes, of course. Governments always promise that they care about saving the lives of children and cleaning the air, saving the planet etc. But they care nothing for these things. What your little cartoon describes is not attainable. It may sound correct. But it is not possible. On top of all this it will cost into the trillions of dollars bankrupting entire nations that are already...wait for it... bankrupt. If all of this renewable infrastructure were actually viable, we would already be doing it. If solar panels on every house actually worked, most people would already own them. But the cost-to-effectiveness (cost-saving) ratio is upside down. If electric energy were the answer, we would have it across the world as THE solution. But it's not. It is ludicrously expensive and solves none of the problems your cute cartoon pretends to solve. Fact is, the whole world has been working on polluting less and less. ICE cars are more efficient than ever. But it's an issue that needs a progressive solution. One that is implemented slowly as new technologies allow. You don't just force everyone to go all electric and say that's the answer (England). All this will do is take affordable cars away from everyday people that actually need them (most people) all the while using the ruse that we are saving the planet. Everyone's bills will go through the roof and we will have killed the actually solution that we've had for years, the ICE. But hey, governments love to do this. This is the whole point. You lose your freedom, while they get to force you on a tiny packed electric train/car/taxi whatever all the while charging you far more taxes claiming they are saving your life while they fly off to their next meeting in the Alps in their private jet. I think most on here can agree we're all for solutions to pollution. Cleaner air? Sure. But going all electric is not the answer. Not even close.

Here, chew on these:

http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2017/7/29/how-dumb-are-the-europeans-phasing-out-gasoline-powered-cars

http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2017/6/21/people-are-starting-to-catch-on-to-the-100-renewable-energy-scam#commenting=

Good thing he's a lawyer, not an engineer, that way he has an excuse for trotting out the same nonsensical arguments that we've already talked about here. That was a close call!

A basic understanding of efficiency answers a fair few of his points. But I'm sure he was a better lawyer than engineer - otherwise he'd be serving burgers in McDonalds, telling all his customers about how the electric cars are coal powered. But hey, don't worry about it - the engineers will continue building a sustainable future whilst you tell us it cannot be done.

So glad those fossil fuel cars don't cost the tax payers money. They never need bailouts and help! And oil and gas is never subsidised. Wait...hm.

I wasn't ranting as much as justifying my previous comment that got removed on account of someone not being able to deal with the terror that words and opinions seem to carry these days.

I love it when people say this.

"You broke the rules"

"No I didn't, just my opinion is too amazing for people to handle"

Aye very good. End result is still the same, it just allows people to feel better about being moderated.

I wasn't ranting as much as justifying my previous comment that got removed on account of someone not being able to deal with the terror that words and opinions seem to carry these days.

Second, I wasn't addressing the staff at all but the likes of you who cry for mommy and daddy at every bump and who also, not by chance, are absolutely incapable of distinguish and set apart mere hypotheses from theories and scientific truths; as if ideas of "majority" and "consensus" had any place or meant anything in the field of sciences.

You're not measuring up all that well to your own standards. Do you really think your opinions are so shiny that all that look upon them are blinded by their brilliance? I have a hint: No. I've seen enough guys like you that this is not going anywhere, but at least drop the chestbeating and just try to do better next time. It saves everyone a lot of time.

Last edited:
Of course I could be wrong. But remember, these are very short courses and the grandstands are like those in a gymnasium so it doesn't take much to give them the appearance of being "packed" this video would indicate a different experience in Brooklyn:
The guy isn't much of a videographer, but the lack of crowds is self evident.
At least in Brooklyn, there weren't very many seats to fill:
170713185621-formula-e-new-york-eprix-exlarge-169.jpg

Nordschleife lap times in the late 1920s were 15mins + and we are now looking at sub 8mins. Imagine if electric technology sees advances like that? I think that could be fascinating, to see that kind of progress.

Also, the noise that conventional IC make (that we all love) is only a by product of the power generation process. It may sound daft but there is nothing preventing electric cars from having electric 'noise generators' so that they sound like a huge V10. Seriously, if an electric car drove past and it sounded like a big V12, would you even care that it wasn't an IC engine? Just a thought...
Only in that there are no gear changes, which is integral to the auditory process (for me)

HYDRO-QUÉBEC MONTRÉAL ePRIX

Ok, so I went on Sunday. I did the full touristy spectrum of things, just to see. I live here, but just wanted to see what they had on offer. I waited almost an hour for a driver autograph session, my first ever. Entertaining to see these guys just being regular dudes, yet very approachable. Buemi signed my hand because I asked him to. Vergne appeared half asleep but that is just his regular demeanor, I guess. Piquet jr. was tossing around a little mascot bear. I asked him about it, he said it was "an unlucky charm" The two Felixs' were having a giggle about something on Da Costa's phone. I guess this is old hat for them and they just park themselves for the allotted time.

I also waited a good half hour to get into a playseat with Fanatec wheel/pedal combo configured for the Montreal circuit. A playseat is now pretty high on my wishlist, although I do not know if the cars are modeled at around 2 tonnes, but the brake distance was horrific. (I just did some homework and if my data is correct, the minimum weight including driver is 888kg, which is .8 of a metric tonne) No brake markers evident on the sim, so I hit the anchors very early and full depression (to the point of bending the seat back a bit) still had me going well past the apex and into the runoff, with no lockup. A lot of ambient noise made it difficult to hear the sim, if any audio was being output at all. I got out half way through the second lap, because no point in wasting time on a car that was basically undriveable. Very laggy steering response as well. Great gear, though.

Walking around the circuit itself felt very much like a club race atmosphere, nothing like the energy felt at the F1 event. Free to walk around, I think I covered probably 75% of the circuit periphery. Easy to just walk up to the fence, and then another safety fence about 5 feet beyond that, which was right at the track. Seemed a little excessive, but I guess they need to keep some distance for spectators.

I did not bother with qualifying, but headed to the front row at turn 5 for my assigned seat for the race itself. Looking straight at a monitor helped a bit, although lcd monitors have difficulty in direct sun. It was hot. 70 feet to the right of the monitor was the apex and then here came the cars. And there they went. 37 times. Imagine a really big RC car and you're pretty close. "Reeeeeeee" Add some differential whine. Also throw in some tea tray clattering from time to time and you've got it. Liveries are brighter than what you see in TV coverage, especially the Mahindra red. Cars appear to displace a lot of air, judging by the noise on the straights, despite quite low wing angles. It may just be the weight.

Overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I went. I saw Jean Todt. I saw Webber's 2016 LeMans Porsche, and as promised in my earlier post, I did a headcount. There were at least 100 people in attendance there, maybe more but they were moving around. Difficult to tell;)

As is usually the case with these things, TV coverage is better than being trackside in terms of what is going on, but that could change. No fuel smell here, but some rubber was burnt. It would be neat to see this event at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for example. Time will tell.

I shot a boatload of video and pics, but I have no idea where to post it in the Racetube, or if anybody wants to see it. Let me know.

Last edited:
Ok, so I went on Sunday. I did the full touristy spectrum of things, just to see. I live here, but just wanted to see what they had on offer. I waited almost an hour for a driver autograph session, my first ever. Entertaining to see these guys just being regular dudes, yet very approachable. Buemi signed my hand because I asked him to. Vergne appeared half asleep but that is just his regular demeanor, I guess. Piquet jr. was tossing around a little mascot bear. I asked him about it, he said it was "an unlucky charm" The two Felixs' were having a giggle about something on Da Costa's phone. I guess this is old hat for them and they just park themselves for the allotted time.

I also waited a good half hour to get into a playseat with Fanatec wheel/pedal combo configured for the Montreal circuit. A playseat is now pretty high on my wishlist, although I do not know if the cars are modeled at around 2 tonnes, but the brake distance was horrific. (I just did some homework and if my data is correct, the minimum weight including driver is 888kg, which is .8 of a metric tonne) No brake markers evident on the sim, so I hit the anchors very early and full depression (to the point of bending the seat back a bit) still had me going well past the apex and into the runoff, with no lockup. A lot of ambient noise made it difficult to hear the sim, if any audio was being output at all. I got out half way through the second lap, because no point in wasting time on a car that was basically undriveable. Very laggy steering response as well. Great gear, though.

Walking around the circuit itself felt very much like a club race atmosphere, nothing like the energy felt at the F1 event. Free to walk around, I think I covered probably 75% of the circuit periphery. Easy to just walk up to the fence, and then another safety fence about 5 feet beyond that, which was right at the track. Seemed a little excessive, but I guess they need to keep some distance for spectators.

I did not bother with qualifying, but headed to the front row at turn 5 for my assigned seat for the race itself. Looking straight at a monitor helped a bit, although lcd monitors have difficulty in direct sun. It was hot. 70 feet to the right of the monitor was the apex and then here came the cars. And there they went. 37 times. Imagine a really big RC car and you're pretty close. "Reeeeeeee" Add some differential whine. Also throw in some tea tray clattering from time to time and you've got it. Liveries are brighter than what you see in TV coverage, especially the Mahindra red. Cars appear to displace a lot of air, judging by the noise on the straights, despite quite low wing angles. It may just be the weight.

Overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I went. I saw Jean Todt. I saw Webbers' 2016 LeMans Porsche, and as promised in my earlier post, I did a headcount. There were at least 100 people there, maybe more but they were moving around. Difficult to tell;)
As is usually the case with these things, TV coverage is better, but that could change. It would be neat to see this event at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for example. Time will tell.

I shot a boatload of video and pics, but I have no idea where to post it in the Racetube, or if anybody wants to see it. Let me know.
Thanks for your post and description. What I'm trying to understand is: There were 100 people there. Where? At a Formula E race? You mean as in fans? I'm just trying to understand this. Please explain.

Yeah, sorry. I was referring to an earlier post I made in the same thread stating that I would do a headcount, because attendance seems to be an issue at these things. It was not an issue and a more accurate assessment would be easily a couple thousand people. Turn 5 seating was at least 2 or 3 hundred alone.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 133 71.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 44 23.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 35 18.7%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 38 20.3%