Help with SFX-100 - burning smell when in use

Hi,

At the start of lockdown I decided to take the plunge and get a 3D printer / equipment for the SFX-100 and get busy.

Around 9 months later I have a working Rig, and it functions just how I'd like her to, except for a smell that arises after around 15 minutes of use... It smells like something burning and is coming from the AC Servo drivers that connect the power / arduino to the motors themselves.

Does this mean I have an issue with my electrical cabling? Or possibly faulty equipment? I've checked my elelctricals and they all seem in order, I'm assuming if they weren't then not all of the motors would function? I'm running all 4 off of the same power line, I've effectively taken 1 power cable and put 4 connectors on it, daisy chaining all the live, neutral and earth terminals to each other.

If anyone could suggest areas that might be responsible that I can investigate that would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Thats how my servo drivers are linked - are you sure your cable is of decent size for current? Cables might be heating up - my servo drivers don't barely get warm I don't think, certainly not to that point where they might burn anything.

Did you set all necessary parameters in your driver menus? I've PT-A actuators not SFX but the kit is almost the same....

Upvote 0
Not only should you double check your servo drive parameters, but you should reset them to default and reprogram them fresh. Of the 4 drives I bought new, 1 of them had a bunch of wacky non default settings on it so even though I set the few parameters needed for SFX correctly a bunch of others were wrong and it was making it misbehave before I figured it out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the pointers - I'd not thought to double check these. From memory I left the max RPM at 1200 and followed the guides but sounds like it's worth factory resetting and trying again. Will try a few different power cables too,

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 18 15.3%