Help with SFX-100

I just completed my build. Loved the project! All appeared to be working fine. ARDUINO flashed perfectly. System would go to ready position and park just fine. Attached to my rig ready to play iracing. Everything working fine except for noise on the brake signal. I can see the signal meter bouncing. When I try to drive it causes the rig to buck harshly. I have tried everything. Cable routing, different usb cables, Checked grounds,....I am so frustrated. So close to just being able to enjoy it yet so far. I have a CST Performance pedal set with a load cell brake.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES OR IDEAS.

make grounds from the motor too the drivers ( so motor to frame than to drivers, fixed my issues.
Also don't put any USB next to motor cables.

Upvote 0
As suggested above, switch to shielded cables if they are not already shielded. This is probably the top most important factor when it comes to EMI issues with SFX100. You'll benefit from even if this doesn't fix this problem.

And if you are using OSW/SC1 direct drive, you might want to replace those cables too (fixed a similar problem when I had the HE pedals). Also make sure the USB is plugged directly to the PC (no hub / extension cable). Good luck.

Upvote 0
There's no need for shielded cables, the solution for EMI on the SFX100 is proper USB grounding avoiding any possible ground loop.

To do this you need to do the following 2 things:
- Ground the servos with an extra ground cable to your rig
- Ground all USB devices to your rig.

Grounding your USB devices is the most important step in order to eliminate all EMI related issues.

There are 3 options

- wrap a copper wire around the outside of the USB plug and connect it to your rig or
- Open up the USB cable and solder a ground wire to the black wire inside
- If you have a USB hub, use an old USB cable and cut it in half. Isolate all wires except the black one and connect the black wire to your rig and plug the USB cable into the hub that has all your other devices.

This solution goes way back several years when Heusinkveld recommended grounding their electronics when using their pedals in combination with direct drives.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the response. I’m not sure if my cables are shielded or not. I just ordered the same shopping list everybody else ordered. I hope that is all it is which sounds like it is going to be enough of a hassle. Do you think the cables are going to be enough or do I need to do all the filters and ferro rings? Any chance it might be noise generated by my 110 to 220 voltage converter"

I will reach out to Ali Express and see if they are shielded or not. One last question, any chance there is something going on with my arduino and circuit board. I purchased the boards and soldered all the connectors. Looked perfect to me.

thanks again.

Upvote 0
You can also use emi shielding tape around the cables, this is what I did to the actuator power cables. You have to ground the tape.

It seems to work, although I did the tape, power line filter, ferrite cores and grounding of rig before using it so not sure which / whether any of them are necessary.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses. A little more follow up information and a few more questions.

My rig is a Virtual GT and believe it or not the whole thing is made from birch plywood. I own a race car business and inherited it as a basket case from one of my customers. I fabricated a steel base for the rig to sit on and the actuators attach to the steel frame. I think this may influence “grounding the rig”

Based on my rig how do you see the wood/steel construction effecting a ground solution?

Breaking open and grounding USB connectors sure seems questionable to me. Is this common?

Any chance changing from the CST Performance Pedals to Fanatec V3 might solve this issue since it appears to only be on the brake signal? I have been happy with the feel of the CST pedals but I know they are pretty dated and no longer supported. I would be interested in any feedback on the CST pedals.

As the rig is located in the lounge of my race shop I am trying to keep the look clean and tidy. I am worried about a bunch of extraneous wiring and grounds all over the place.

My current thoughts, Please chime in!

Verify I have shielded cables and if not get them
Put the line filter on the voltage converter
put the ferro rings on the servo controller power wires (these seem price though)
Install split filters on the USB lines.
Consider the Fanatec V3 pedal set. Would you consider this an upgrade to my CST pedals?

i have my dc power box for the sim feedback box inside my electronics enclosure right behind my servo controllers. Could that be creating a problem?

whenever I unplug the USB cable to the sim feedback box the noise seems to disappear even if the servos are still powered up. Does that provide any addition clues?

So frustrating to have spent months on this project and not being able to drive it!

Thanks to all of you for the input.

Upvote 0
I would take your ground from your pedals and make them have a common ground with the ground of your servo drives and the ground the computer uses. Have one wire connected directly to a ground and run the others directly to that one.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 253 34.0%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 204 27.4%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 140 18.8%
  • Watch party

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • At a friends house