How do you play AMS2, against AI, single player?

I've played thousands of hours of AC over the last -almost- ten years, and have recently started giving AMS2 a go.

I'm interested how others play single player. How do you get the best out of AMS2 playing against the AI?

Do you set up championships? Or just single races, how long, how many AI, what weather, qualifying?

Try the Racing Life Carrer app, you can download it in the downloads section. I mostly use it and also doing a 1967 F1 custom championship.

In the F-Vintages I do 80 minutes races with practice and qualy, 18 AI and 3 random weather slots with sync to race.

With the Racing Life app it gives you the tracks and race length depending on the car classes.

I took a bit of inspiration from GPLaps, where Jake has his Richi Axleson character who goes through several seasons of F1 and other classes. I created Championships for myself doing a race drivers carreer path, starting in Karts, advancing to Formula Trainer, and so on. I'm still in earlier stages, currently running the Formula Inter and trying to decide if I'll ultimately go Open Wheel, Prototypes or GTs. I try to emulate races in a given class best as AMS2 allows it, going for 100% length and random weather.

To add some randomness, between seasons I use 2d6 to determine if a scout picks me for a team in a higher class, or if I at least get a test race with them, adding positive or negative modifiers depending on my final position in the Championship. For example, a 1st place is almost a guarantee to advance, a 2nd place makes it likely, a thrid place gives agood chance for a test drive and so on. If I fail the roll I run another season in the same class or maybe cross over to something similar, eg from F-Inter to the Ginetta G40s. Also plan to intersperse those Championship races with invitational races for several historic cars later down the line.

Outside of that I sometimes just drive a ceratin car around a certain track, Historic Nordschleife is a current favourite.

I generally have a championship set up that I go back to when I sit down for a longish session, otherwise its pick a car,pick a track and start the race or just drive a few solo laps.

I'm a bit crap and more interested in racing then practicing so I run the AI on low aggression and between 80-90 percent.

I find the weekly challenges very good as well, This sections puts me in cars and on tracks that I might never look at, and due to the ranking it gives some incentive to learn the track...

Very new to AMS2. Coming from iRacing, I still gravitate towards online, but am using racecraft online for that. It's quite cool in that if there are no humans around you race against AI, which is what I mostly do tbh. But the 6 week seasons give me a structure to use, and if I get a rare evening when I can race, there are humans to race with.

Last edited:
Over the past couple months 95% of my game time is spent racing against AI with maximum aggression & minimum difficulty/skill (70 on the slider, I think). The high aggression keeps it interesting and I far prefer the AI pushing back if I try to take their line coming into a corner--plus it makes the AI vs AI action really lively & entertaining while you're tailing them through some bends.

I seem to prefer using "Single Race" mode set to 5min practice, no quali, random grid position and selecting particular cars/classes that strike my fancy and then working my way top-down or bottom-up through the list of tracks (I'm never able to remember which S.American track names were interesting/fun--always looking for frequent elevation changes), or just picking whichever track(s) were most recently released, looking for good layouts to "take seriously" and run a full race day/event.

About a year ago AMS2 rekindled my interest in road racing vidya games, I hadn't driven any true sim titles or even used wheel+pedals at all since Sports Car GT back around the Y2k era. That being the case, to say my performance on-track "lacks consistency" would be a bit too kind. "Corner kamikaze" & "periodically manages a second consecutive clean lap" is a bit more accurate.

Just the past few weeks though, I've started jumping into online races with a solitary goal of clean laps and improved safety rating. Unfortunately, with both VR (Quest 2) and triples alike, I am always having some sort of technical issues at least one or two times per 2-6hr gaming session. Most recently, an update Meta pushed to the desktop client rendered any PCVR content completely unusable over Air Link, and my triples setup that was working fine last weekend, suddenly just stopped loading the side screens despite my triples config file's checksum matching exactly to when it worked. All that's to say, "I lack the faith in my setup's reliability multiplayer gaming should warrant."

Ohwell, tons, like months+ of really fun AMS2 car+track combinations left in my to-drive list of races I want to drive. Just need to downgrade back to USB link for VR or wait till Meta un-****s Air Link.

I am having such a blast with just the rawness of the game in Single Player that I haven't touched Multiplayer! I mainly race F1 and ACC online, but I find AMS2 extremely immersive with the correct AI setting great battles unfold!

Since the end of my rFactor days i am a single player only.
I create only custom championships in my favorite sims. Earlier GTR, RACE07, AC,AMS,ACC, RRE
Nowdays there are AC and AMS2 left. AMS2 is becoming more and more #1...

So thats the way i play AMS2 - created right now 3x 4 Championships. Due the slot limitation i play only 4 at once. After that when all 4 are finished i save the singlplayerchamp files somewhere else (to find in documents/ams2/user/....) and copy and paste the next 4 over. So i do never loose already created championshiops and can come back.

My difficulty settings right now are mostly 97-102 right now with aggresivness at medium.

If i win a championship i rise the AI level by 2 for the next time within the series.

So i does earlier withe raceroom and so i am doing since years with AC (where i can drive 45 champinships at once)

So i does earlier withe raceroom and so i am doing since years with AC (where i can drive 45 champinships at once)
You kindly shared your DTM championships with me for AC a while back. They were really well put together and I burnt a fair few hours using them. It's interesting to see that you have gravitated towards AMS2 for offline as I have kind of done the same, mostly due to having a more consistent experience with the AI (well a lot less faff anyway). I'm curious to know if you have figured out a way to do the championships outside the UI?

You kindly shared your DTM championships with me for AC a while back. They were really well put together and I burnt a fair few hours using them. It's interesting to see that you have gravitated towards AMS2 for offline as I have kind of done the same, mostly due to having a more consistent experience with the AI (well a lot less faff anyway). I'm curious to know if you have figured out a way to do the championships outside the UI?
Well i did not moved completly from AC towards AMS2. I never could leave back all these great content and created championships. BUT to be honest right now i spend much more tim with AMS2.
It feels kind of much more alive, more immersive to drive. It can look overall better, even vs CSP and stuff and last but not least especially after the 1.5 update the FFB feels superior to AC.

Sorry back to your question:D , i did not try it so far. I was "happy" so far with the fact, that i can switch the championships with copy/paste them like described above.

But i will take a look at that for sure if i figure somethin`out :coffee:

Custom championship, 100 AI strength low aggression , 10 lap races , forced out stops 4 tyres changed.
Weather on current with 2 random weather's slots for all sessions.
The random weather and seasons effected by current global weather is great.
AI is far better to race than humans , even very good fast drivers can not drive clean in open lobbies and hit me from behind in % 90 of races ruining online for me and I can never get time zones right for clubs

25 min races, and if the car has headlights, I put time progression x60. 100 difficulty (works for most of the cars), low aggression and start last always. Also some Race Craft Online races as well, highly recomended.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advices .
I just created a new post about simulating an historical real grid.

I did´nt found how to until now, and i am disapointed about that, just because i am a big fan of ams2.

I don´t know why, never really tried that before (always with assetto, but finding the right track with usable ai is not so easy)

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 412 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 259 43.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 281 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 163 27.4%
Back