How on Earth do you get the Historic GT mod to work?

Had 3 hours trying,installed loads of mods before without problems but this one has me beat.
I'm trying to do a standalone mod but the installer can't find my rfactor directory.

It finds my gtl steam folder but not the rfactor one so my Historic dir has no exe files in it.
Do I just copy the rfactor exe into it?

Driving me nuts.

Yeah I read that but I assumed the mod looked at your rfactor install and copied things into the stand alone folder it tells you to create.
Been up for over 3 hours mucking around.

I hink I'll give it a miss.
Already have the Power And Glory mod v3 which installed without a hitch and of course GT Legends.
This mod seems flaky especially when installing into an rfactor folder and I've been told it stuffs everything up with other mods.

That's why Itried the stand alone but I think I need to install it into an rfactor lite install.
I went to ISI's site and couldn't obtain the lite installer so I'm stuck on a mountain without a rope.

P.S. I was looking at the wrong isi website.
Found the lite installer and going to give it one more crack.

Last edited:
I used the lite installer another 1 hour later and now it's asking me to buy another activation key.
Ohboy ohboy woweee.

What a bloody frustration installing this mod is.

P.S. I nearly lost my PC when trying to install this mod also.

Forgot that starforce was on the GT Legends dvd disc and luckily after a repair ,I found out you can use the manual online key to get a free copy of GT Legends on Steam.
Phew.
Still haven't installed this mod properly yet though.

I've installed mods for GEM (GPL) and countless others but this mod has got me by the gonads.

Trying to copy my lite factor install back over the steam one and it says 1 hour remaining.
Looks like I'll be shutting down the PC now and reinstalling Rfactor for a THIRD TIME.
Mamma mia.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about all the hassle you're having. I've never heard of anybody having some of these issues. You don't need GTL installed on your PC. The installer will ask you to put the disk in your dvd drive, just to prove you own a copy. The hard copy works best.
Read the manual all the way through and stick to it to the letter. Don't run the new copy of rFactor light, wait until you installed HistorX. Take care when overwriting the FFB section in your contriller.ini. @Jarek Kostowski can point you to a download of a file that's already altered if you prefer?
I have no idea why ISI ask for a second activation code, I've only ever been asked once. I don't like migrating my games to Steam because it clouds the issue for me when installing mods. I'm stuck in my ways I guess. You could try copying your Steam version of rFactor to another folder on your HD and renaming it. Then install HistorX to that install? @Jarek Kostowski, is that how you install to a Steam version?
Installing the mod is a pain and can take an hour or 2 even when you have the download backed up and you've done it before, so once it's done, be sure to take a copy for safekeeping.
I urge you to persevere, the mod is great. It's a little tricky at first and most people blow a few engines to begin with, but once you start to "get it" this mod is sublime. Well, we love it. :thumbsup:

I finally did it.
LOL.

Should have just looked at the mod install instructions but the manual hints you will have problems doing it that way but I only am using rfactor for the Historx mod anyway.

Great mod,superb actually.

Sorry to hear about all the hassle you're having. I've never heard of anybody having some of these issues. You don't need GTL installed on your PC. The installer will ask you to put the disk in your dvd drive, just to prove you own a copy. The hard copy works best.
Read the manual all the way through .... ......It's a little tricky at first and most people blow a few engines to begin with, but once you start to "get it" this mod is sublime. Well, we love it. :thumbsup:

Tried this note for note. But the exe file for historicx still points me to the old rf1 install. Tomorrow i am going to delete all installs and will try it again.

Tried this note for note. But the exe file for historicx still points me to the old rf1 install. Tomorrow i am going to delete all installs and will try it again.
You have a Steam copy of rFactor? My friend has the same issue with the exe opening his Steam version. Are you using a shortcut from your desktop or double clicking the exe in your rFactor main folder? I think my friend has to "open as administrator" but I have mine set to do that anyway in properties > compatibility. Loads of people use Steam version of rFactor without any issues. In fact @Jarek Kostowski can only use the Steam version because the non-Steam version doesn't support enough controllers for his rig.
Maybe @smasha can help?

I think you'll have to make a new desktop shortcut for your HistorX install.
Go to the folder where you've installed HistorX, find the rFactor.exe, right click and hold it, then drag it to your desktop. Release the RMB, and choose "create shortcut here" from the menu that appears. Then re-name the shortcut.
Right click the shortcut and choose properties. At the bottom you should find a "change icon" option. Browse to HistorX folder, and you should have a few different icons to choose from.
I hope that makes sense :thumbsup:

I can't help much i'm afraid, i always go step by step with the manual (standalone installation) and it always works right away. I still have a main rF1 install (non-Steam) and two HistorX installs (Steam & non-Steam) that use the tracks of the main one, never had a problem choosing where to install HistorX.
@Erwin Greven you mean the HistorX installer is pointing to the wrong rF install? Can't you change it somewhere in the install options?
If you mean you installed it succesfully and it still started "standard" rFactor, this is normal, you have to start HistorX once, then close it and start it again. On second start up you should see the HistorX UI.

Up to you. Thousands have been able to install it without a problem. Sadly there's no a lot we can do about it if you don't share detailed information about what exactly are you doing and how your configuration is ;)

Regards

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 269 36.7%
  • Porsche

Votes: 281 38.4%
  • BMW

Votes: 261 35.7%
  • McLaren

Votes: 170 23.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 276 37.7%
  • Intel

Votes: 92 12.6%