Hugely better performance by clicking desktopicon instead of Steam?

Hi guys,

Like all games, this one is having spikes in the frmetimes too, in VR at least that is.
Not so bad, but it does drop a frame every quarter of a lap when running alone; some games do this way more.

In fpsVR, you can see the history bar of the frame times and next to the little and large spikes; the bar is restless too. Is seems like gras if that makes any sense.

Now by coincidence, I started AC from the desktopicon, drove a few laps and there were NO spikes at all, no dropped frames and the bar was FLAT, like a plank! When more came to screen, the plank just lifted a bit but stayed perfectly in line.

So I tried reproducing it: I can.
Starting from vr, clicking the icon, starting in steam as the application; same thing. Only when I just click the desktopicon: it is perfect.

Now I can't see where the desktopicon goes too; it says something about a steam id?
I do know, that when I start from steam, it seems to activate "ACS_x86.exe" as I can see it was just used in "properties".
When I use the desktopicon, I can't see of anything opened.......weird.

Anyway; if I can find out how this game does this, what the trick is.......I will try using it on other games too.
Using the same method, didn't help for other games just now. But fact is; it CAN be better than the spiking.

But how? What is different about starting from steam (desktop app steam of already in vr steam, same thing) and just clicking the icon AC on your desktop?

Might be onto something huge here, please help me out ;)

Edit; I just have the bare game installed, no mods, no content manager or anything.

Last edited:
I do know, that when I start from steam, it seems to activate "ACS_x86.exe" as I can see it was just used in "properties".
It seems like for some reason, starting from steam is using the 32-bit exe and the desktop icon, which should simply tell steam to launch AC is starting the 64-bit exe.

There's definitely a performance difference between these 2. It's the same for me.

It won't work with other games though. There's no magic involved, your steam is just using the wrong exe for some reason.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • Yearly

Votes: 39 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 14 2.2%