I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
...because ACC is bad optimized.
Not sure that is really the case.
Would be the same if you would claim that an engine is not optimized, because it doesn't push out the same fps with higher resolution.

...the amount of AI simulation we have.
Easy. Reduce number of AI cars.

Sorry to be this blunt, but it is what it is.

The system requirements also give you an idea:
Min: Intel Core i5-4460 => 4 cores
Recommended: Intel Core i5-8600K => 6 cores

Even with the recommended setup you will not be able to play maxxed out.

Not sure that is really the case.
Would be the same if you would claim that an engine is not optimized, because it doesn't push out the same fps with higher resolution.

Easy. Reduce number of AI cars.

Sorry to be this blunt, but it is what it is.

The system requirements also give you an idea:
Min: Intel Core i5-4460 => 4 cores
Recommended: Intel Core i5-8600K => 6 cores

Even with the recommended setup you will not be able to play maxxed out.

What you're missing there though is recommended for what setup, VDU or VR?

The optimization is clearly on Kunos; however I suspect they are both working on 2019 spec'ed machines ergo not high on their agenda. The fact they added a frame limiter option for the menu UI, is pretty poor it was not previously implemented, or better still capped to a default in the background.

We have heard all the 'cant be done' before only to be proven wrong.

Ps operators, greater than or equal to is >= :p

@thepharcyde I think optimization is a double-edged sword. Customers want the latest eye-candy with every new title hitting the market, but also want it to run well on slower machines. You have to cut off on optimizing too much at some point I guess. Also depends on how well the engine scales up/down.
Some things can be influenced by game developers, others are limited by choice of engine.

That is the problem PC gamers and developers had for ages: Variance in setups. Every PC is different from the other. Getting it right for everybody is next to impossible.
There the consoles have a big advantage. You can explore and wring the neck of every component to get the most performance out of it.

Recommended system notes for games have always been a mixed thing. If you have a similar system you should be able to run the game with medium settings. Triples and VR have a different impact typically not given in such general notes. Especially with VR sets you will get very different performance I guess. How do you want to capture that?
Developers do not build 100 PCs with different configs to test performance to give the recommended system setup notes. ;)

Back on topic:
The hack introduced in this thread takes away some detail eye candy not immediately noticeable to the average gamer, but will help with stable fps and less lags big time. Things like shadow casting within complex structures, I think also some LOD things, reflections simplification, etc.. Maybe these options could have made available in the game from the developers, but maybe they didn't want to complicate graphics options too much. Who knows.

From UE4 website: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/4_20/index.html

"New: Added RTDF r.DFShadowQuality allowing to adjust for shadow performance or quality."

Hmm, interesting. Well, this setting didn't work for me as written, maybe it's the case?

Anyway, the shadows aren't the killer for me now, it's definitely texture streaming problems. I can repeat the issue also. Run on a fast track for an hour or so, then change it to optimum (no game restart) and the engine will start to stutter. This is pretty bad for league races as typically practice starts on a green track... then by the time the race rolls around and the rubber textures are on track, i get stutters. i7/RTX2070. Don't have a solution quite yet and I'm getting tired of chasing one. Restarting the game will fix it, but not possible during a session.

Hmm, interesting. Well, this setting didn't work for me as written, maybe it's the case?

Anyway, the shadows aren't the killer for me now, it's definitely texture streaming problems. I can repeat the issue also. Run on a fast track for an hour or so, then change it to optimum (no game restart) and the engine will start to stutter. This is pretty bad for league races as typically practice starts on a green track... then by the time the race rolls around and the rubber textures are on track, i get stutters. i7/RTX2070. Don't have a solution quite yet and I'm getting tired of chasing one. Restarting the game will fix it, but not possible during a session.
Are you struggling with an i7 and a RTX 2070!?
Woah, that's sad.

Thanks, just got ACC and it worked great for my triple screens!
I downloaded this to play on triples 60hz monitors with my 1080ti and i7 700 but when in menus the temp of my gpu just kept rising and my gpu started throttling. I capped the frames to 60hz and turned on vsync and monitored this using msi but still had the same issues.
The game also looked really blurry .
Is there somethihg i should be doing in the settings and why is this game so intensive even within menus let alone on track ??

I downloaded this to play on triples 60hz monitors with my 1080ti and i7 700 but when in menus the temp of my gpu just kept rising and my gpu started throttling. I capped the frames to 60hz and turned on vsync and monitored this using msi but still had the same issues.
The game also looked really blurry .
Is there somethihg i should be doing in the settings and why is this game so intensive even within menus let alone on track ??
I don't know what the answer to your problem might be, but I noted there is a setting to cap framerate during the menus. Did you play with that one as well as capping framerates during play?

Is there a way to use this "fix" and not lose the rain effects?
All the rain effects on the windshield is no longer happening and it makes the wiper completely useless.
I personally prefer to have 10 ish FPS lower and have the realistic weather affects ACC brings to the table.

Driving in the wet without all the rain drops loses all the charm.

All the rain effects on the windshield is no longer happening and it makes the wiper completely useless.
I personally prefer to have 10 ish FPS lower and have the realistic weather affects ACC brings to the table.

Try by deleting
FX.FreezeParticleSimulation and r.DetailLevel

r.DetailMode=2
FX.FreezeParticleSimulation=0
r.RefractionQuality=2

The rain is back with these settings.

nyway, the shadows aren't the killer for me now, it's definitely texture streaming problems. I can repeat the issue also. Run on a fast track for an hour or so, then change it to optimum (no game restart) and the engine will start to stutter. This is pretty bad for league races as typically practice starts on a green track... then by the time the race rolls around and the rubber textures are on track, i get stutters. i7/RTX2070. Don't have a solution quite yet and I'm getting tired of chasing one. Restarting the game will fix it, but not possible during a session.
I have the same problem. Tried the new DLC driving in hotlapmode. By the time I got to the 3d track it started to stutter. I7 6700K GTX 1070. 16 GIG RAM.

I can run the normal AC for a whole day without a single framedrop If I want to.

It must be something related to the Unreal engine 4.

This is the best Engine.ini file imo ;)
and these settings for triple 1080p / 1080Ti/7700k
Cheers for sharing. Will try on my ultrawide 1080p setup, especially the engine.ini.

Can you share your thoughts on:
  • What is your reason for going to 105% supersampling? I always had the impression the bottleneck is the resolution of the monitor (pixel density), so it will remain blocky no matter what you set supersampling to.
  • Is there a reason you prefer foliage set to epic compared to view distance, mirror view distance and opponents visibility set to quite mid/low settings?

Thanks again.

I have been using these in the engine.ini file with great sucess not sure where i found them :

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0