Intel 9th Gen CPUs revealed

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I just pre-ordered one on Amazon, been waiting for awhile for this...decided last month (after quite a bit of saving) to build my first serious gaming PC...I also do some music production work on the side (thus the need for 16 threads) and been gaming on average to pretty weak PCs since 1996, so it's high time to go all out (especially if I wanna get something like ACC running smoothly @ ultra settings on triple monitors :D):

CPU: i9-9900k 8-core
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio 8GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4-3000
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB

Christmas is coming early this year :geek:

• Deleted member 197115

Official release is October 19th, amazon price ($529.99) seems to be speculative at the moment, MSRP is $488.

Eyeballing one as well, need to build a new system

CPU: i9-9900k 8-core
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio 8GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4-3000
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB

Christmas is coming early this year :geek:

Jealous :) but I have same M2 lol

MSI mobo then ?
https://wccftech.com/msi-z390-motherboard-lineup-z390-godlike-gaming-flagship-launch/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z390-motherboard-preview,5838.html

Still don't understand why MSI trio here is $300 dearer then Founders for just 60MHz boost
Sure better fans and pretty lights but 300 clams ?
$AU
2080 Founders 1800MHz - 1,199
MSI 2080 Trio 1860MHz 1,499 + shipping
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44036/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-gaming-x-trio-8gb

@1440 only 3% faster average across 20+ games then a Founders while 25% dearer
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2080_Gaming_X_Trio/33.html

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Nope, went with the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Wifi AC. Z390 Motherboards AFAIK aren't a huge step up from Z370 (plus I already bought the motherboard two weeks ago LOL)

Still don't understand why MSI trio here is $300 dearer then Founders for just 60MHz boost
Sure better fans and pretty lights but 300 clams ?
$AU
2080 Founders 1800MHz - 1,199
MSI 2080 Trio 1860MHz 1,499 + shipping
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44036/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-gaming-x-trio-8gb

@1440 only 3% faster average across 20+ games then a Founders while 25% dearer
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2080_Gaming_X_Trio/33.html

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Sorry if you got bad prices, but in the US, the Nvidia 2080 FE is $800 and the MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio is $850 (that's how much I got mine for). $50 for 60mhz sounds better, no? :cool: Plus I'm upgrading from a 10 year old Mac with a 980 Ti...the MSI 2080 is double the speed of a 980 Ti according to that benchmark so I think it's a good upgrade :D

Yes like I said $50 there = $70 here
Even $150+ I could live with :) .......... but $300 they should be locked up

Of course it's a good upgrade :x3:

Just peeves me because I would like to buy one too :( lol

I've been holding off on a CPU/MB upgrade. I don't know if I'll be able to afford one of the new 9th gen processors but I thought I might get a Z390 board, which would allow me to upgrade in the future and put a i7 8600K in it.

The upgrade is almost entirely for running ACC in VR, so I guess it depends on whether the 8600k is even enough or would I be as well off going for a 9th gen if it's for VR?

Hi, personally I don't worry about upgrade path much anymore, things change year to year
and you can easy frog-hop a couple generations

I would get best you can afford now but depends on your requirements ...GPU, resolution and quality levels, grid sizes etc etc

The 9900k has some severe heat issues. Anyone looking to jump in should make sure to get the largest AIO cooler possible and also a high end motherboard with top of the line VRM's.

The 9600k sounds interesting...I am trying to talk myself into a CPU, MB, memory upgrade.
Not sure about the lack of hyper-threading though.
That might be the deal-breaker.

• Deleted member 197115

The 9900k has some severe heat issues. Anyone looking to jump in should make sure to get the largest AIO cooler possible and also a high end motherboard with top of the line VRM's.
Do you have any links to these tests?

As far as I've seen/heard, only Der8auer had severe heat issues before and after delidding, so he may have had a faulty chip (and I don't think I heard him mention how he was cooling the chip), not to mention I think he was using Prime95 which is known to be rediculously brutal on CPUs i.e. more brutal than any real world situation, which can cause serious damage if stressed like that for too long...but that's debatable I guess.

Tom's Hardware, TechPowerUp, GamerNexus and a few others I've read all show consistency, in that it runs anywhere from 4 - 9°C cooler compared to the 8700K or 8086K under full load and identical cooling systems, so it's definitely an improvement over the previous generation, but not as substantial as people hoped it'd be.

I opted for the Phantek PH-TC14PE air cooler as I'm not entirely onboard with water based cooling (too worried about potential leaks) and I don't plan to overclock (or at least no where near the limits most overclockers do)...will report back on the temps I get when I get mine.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9DL0QvODA1MjYxL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAzLnBuZw==

image-7E50_5BC9E242.jpg

intel-9900k-soldered-thermals.png

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Wait, delid, paste, I thought Intel switched back to soldered design?

Wait, delid, paste, I thought Intel switched back to soldered design?

They did use solder. Some reviewers delid theirs to test if the solder Intel applied was any better than high end thermal paste (solder was slightly better) or liquid metal (liquid is better), while others did it because they were getting extremely high temps with Intel's solder.

I’m not going water but I’ll want to run 5 on all cores for 24/7 operation for me to get rid of the 8086k.

Wow didn't see this review...hopefully the consumer chips aren't as bad as this one...100C at 5Ghz overclock on a Noctua D15? Guess i'll be running at stock settings for the first few years, then maybe I'll make the jump to water cooling and OC when CPU demand in games get more intense. It's still the fastest chip on the block for gaming most likely until 2020 so it should last quite awhile. RTX ray tracing and Vulcan API in (hopefully) more games should also help reduce CPU/GPU loads.

Please post if Amazon updates your pre-order, as I'm also waiting (I pre-ordered on Oct 8 around mid afternoon, when did you pre-order?). Reddit users have been saying that Amazon reps told them we might not get our CPU until mid to late November...REALLY hoping that's not true (one user did say they were told it'll ship this week though).

Regardless, people have been cancelling their pre-orders left and right so hopefully we get bumped up the list. :D

They did use solder. Some reviewers delid theirs to test if the solder Intel applied was any better than high end thermal paste (solder was slightly better) or liquid metal (liquid is better), while others did it because they were getting extremely high temps with Intel's solder.

Wow didn't see this review...hopefully the consumer chips aren't as bad as this one...100C at 5Ghz overclock on a Noctua D15? Guess i'll be running at stock settings for the first few years, then maybe I'll make the jump to water cooling and OC when CPU demand in games get more intense. It's still the fastest chip on the block for gaming most likely until 2020 so it should last quite awhile. RTX ray tracing and Vulcan API in (hopefully) more games should also help reduce CPU/GPU loads.

Please post if Amazon updates your pre-order, as I'm also waiting (I pre-ordered on Oct 8 around mid afternoon, when did you pre-order?). Reddit users have been saying that Amazon reps told them we might not get our CPU until mid to late November...REALLY hoping that's not true (one user did say they were told it'll ship this week though).

Regardless, people have been cancelling their pre-orders left and right so hopefully we get bumped up the list. :D

I have until the 10th of nov and if amazon hasn’t shipped by then, then I’ll just delid and put the 8086k under water and run it around 5.2 all day. Hope I get a 9900k though.

Going with a NZXT kraken 62 for the cpu cooler. Case is between Lian Li 011 dynamic or Evolv X.

Like I said, I enjoy the tinerking so I’ll keep it updated.

I'm a little behind, but, this thing is 10%-14% faster than a 2700X, is also most as hot as the sun, and costs nearly $600. It is so not worth that. I imagine the 9700K and 9600K will also be equally poor value.

The Ryzen 2700x is almost as fast as the i9 9900k in many tests and faster in some gaming benchmarks. And at a 3rd of the price. I think I go AMD next. I am due an upgrade.

@johndough247 just fyi. Hardwareunboxed did a recent video on why we saw some differences in temps between different testers:

9900k users basically will need to stay at the high end side of z390 boards to now be VRM limited under load.

I'm just gonna leave this here for your discussion. I've asked all my friends to do benchmarks with Cinebench R15. Single Thread, Max. Multithread and all thread numbers in between!
Of course there are fluctuations. I did my best to take the average although I couldn't get them all to do each run a few times.

Ryzen 2700x OC means it was oc'ed from a guide to basically the maximum under air. A good real life bench!
The i9 9900k is taken from a German site. They only did single thread and max multithread so I grabbed the percentages from the 3 i7's I had data from and interpolated.

For me these graphs really do make sense but judge for your own.

One really important thing is that I also ran process explorer with all games I had installed. Not ONE single game really utilizes more than 4 threads. rf2 for example only uses 1-2, AC 1-2, Raceroom 1-2. World of Warcraft only 1 although a MT patch is on its way.
ACC I had hopes for.. nope, still only 2-4 threads really pushing!

This means that when you'd benchmark these games with a Ryzen 2700x you wouldn't get above 40% overall load. Maybe only 10%!
And be stuck in its single thread limit.

So here comes my sheet:
upload_2018-10-22_14-43-55.png

upload_2018-10-22_14-37-35.png

upload_2018-10-22_14-37-43.png

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 27 12.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 122 57.0%