iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Pistonbroke

Track advice please..

Hi all,

I'm currently D, SR 4.99. I have Silverstone and the Radical courtesy of a free trial. I'm going to buy the Skippy tomorrow, but what 2 tracks would you recommend to go with it? I'm only interested in road at the moment. My next car will eventually be the Vette, but I've got enough cars to grapple with at the moment, thanks :). So mostly this is about the Skippy and what I've got. I can't see anything on the schedule beyond a few days from here (confusing website imo though.).

Hi all,

I'm currently D, SR 4.99. I have Silverstone and the Radical courtesy of a free trial. I'm going to buy the Skippy tomorrow, but what 2 tracks would you recommend to go with it? I'm only interested in road at the moment. My next car will eventually be the Vette, but I've got enough cars to grapple with at the moment, thanks :). So mostly this is about the Skippy and what I've got. I can't see anything on the schedule beyond a few days from here (confusing website imo though.).

I made a buyers guide a few months back, take a look here

The schedules may change slightly in a week for next season so it may be worth waiting for them to come out before you make a decision. If they stay the same as this season I would pick Road Atlanta and Sebring

Edit: Schedules have already been posted and Brands Hatch has been added to the Skippy. I would get Brands and Sebring instead :)

Hi all,

Pistonbroke, here is the URL for next season's schedule for all series.

http://members.iracing.com/iforum/s...8109-35817/iRacing 2010 Season 1 schedule.htm

Here is the Skippy schedule for next season.

Week 1 Infineon Long
Week 2 VIR long
Week 3 Summit Long
Week 4 Lime Rock
Week 5 Brands Hatch
Week 6 Sebring
Week 7 Road Atlanta
Week 8 NHMS south oval
Week 9 Laguna Seca
Week 10 Road America
Week 11 Watkins Glen Boot
Week 12 Mosport

As for which to get it's really personal preference. The Skippy is such a fun car, that there isn't a bad track in the whole schedule. It's almost a toss up for all 12. The only one I can't vouch for is NHMS. Haven't raced it yet.

Also, if you go the the Series page you can see all 12 weeks of any schedule at any time during the season. The Stats page only shows you the current week and all past weeks.

I`m a Class D 3.80 SR at the moment and have participated in the last few weeks of the Skippy season with a view to doing a full season when it starts in a couple of weeks. I took part in the Laguna and Watkins Glen weeks so far. I haven`t got Road America which was between those weeks. It`s Mosport now this week.

I really really enjoyed Watkins Glen - fast and lovely flowing feel to the track. Managed a few wins too with no incidents. Then got placed in some higher splits due to increasing iRating and ended up over driving a bit - I had qualified in 1st or 2nd due to a 2:11.3 qualy time and was being pushed too hard by some fast and consistent drivers. Great fun though and all part of the learning curve. I have improved a lot in only a couple of weeks in the Skippy.

Anyway to tracks :)

I personally enjoyed Watkins Glen a lot - people rave about Brands too. if you intend to run the Skippy series then you will already have Lime, Laguna and Summit for the series. That will give you a few weeks to get a feel for the set-ups and those tracks before weeks 3,4 & 5.

I also have Road Atlanta which I thought was nice too. Finding Mosport very tough - almost seems like a lower grip surface ! Not raced there yet this week but to be fair I was a bit like that with Watkins Glen until I learned it and found a set-up that worked for me then I could run it without incident if I paid attention.

I will be eligible to race the Mazda`s next season too but will concentrate on the Skippy season first - loving it so far. If you intend to run the Skippy series I`ll look out for you.

OT - any suggestions for a B class car - Vette or Lotus ?

I also haven`t got the Radical is that recommended ?

Cheers

OT - any suggestions for a B class car - Vette or Lotus ?

I also haven`t got the Radical is that recommended ?

Cheers

Go for the Corvette at Class B, much easier to get up to pace in :)

Also don't bother with the Radical, apart from it being inaccurate and having the worst FFB out of all the iRacing cars it only runs a few times a week and is very hard to get an official race in.

I take it you have the Mazda? If so just keep running that as it usually has a lot of official races and its a very good car. Then at A you are best off going for the IndyCar as its easier to drive than the DP and is much more popular too.

Radical league - who's interested?

Some people at iRacing thought it would be a good idea to start a Radical league as it only runs twice a week.

I posted a thread and thought maybe we could even turn that into RD's first little league.

Are people here interested to do that?
:p

• Pistonbroke

Thanks for the replies.

JackB, your link doesn't work for me - say's not authorized to download. How do I find that on the site?

At the moment, probably go for Brands and either VIR or Infineon (which looks fun).

Go for the Corvette at Class B, much easier to get up to pace in :)

Also don't bother with the Radical, apart from it being inaccurate and having the worst FFB out of all the iRacing cars it only runs a few times a week and is very hard to get an official race in.

I take it you have the Mazda? If so just keep running that as it usually has a lot of official races and its a very good car. Then at A you are best off going for the IndyCar as its easier to drive than the DP and is much more popular too.

Yep I already have the Mazda - not raced it yet - D 3.8 but will be C next season but I intend to run the Skippy season first and foremost.

I have tried the Mazda at Watkins Glen which I know my way around after the Skippy week and was taken aback by the downforce after the Skippy. A different style required but fun nevertheless - maybe I prefer lower downforce / slidier cars - perhaps the Mazda does that near the limit.

Thanks for the Vette tip although a classic Lotus F1 is hard to resist too ! Some way off racing these anyway.

Cheers

I'm a 100% content owner, but run mostly ovals. I love the precision needed for road side and it was my primary interest when I became a subscriber, but one week 13 in the CoT with all of that pack racing really hooked me. I need to head back to the road side and work up my license level though, but my problem is there is so much to do that I can't stay focused on one car :D and I'm nowhere near an accomplished enough sim racer to jump into a car and enter a race so I'm in a constant state of flux trying to get seat time for each car and learn the tracks and once I get comfortable, it's a new week :eh:

How much does it cost to buy every single item plus 1yr sub?

It's under $200 to purchase all the road content right now, although that would be 10 cars and a bunch of tracks. The average iRacer competes in about 1.8 series. A few drivers do up to 5 series, but that's a ton. It's like competing in 5 leagues. Lot's of practice is required each week to be competitive, so even if you did purchase all the content, you probably wouldn't use all of it for quite a long long time.

• Kimber Jansen

I have all the tracks and Impala a & b, late mod, truck, sr8, c6r, skippy(do you have to buy that?) and the mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 429 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 267 43.2%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.2%
Back