Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

My first hands experience is quite positive, the only irritating issue I have encountered was archery. But I am not much into room scale.

Andrew, that guy has repeatedly said WMR controllers work well from the very beginning.

He is piling the BS very high.

But he is Mixed Reality TV, so what do you expect.

For you to care about tracking you actually need to play games in full room scale for long periods of time such that skill and accuracy matter to you. If you've spent hundreds of hours working through a game and are playing instinctually, but can't set up a shot it is very frustrating.

• Deleted member 197115

One more thing, some of the "tracking" issues could be related to poor BT connection. Original Odyssey for instance (and I think other WMR headsets) relied on external BT and that did not work that well with desktops where BT antenna is in the back, so separate dongle was a recommended solution.
O+ added BT to the headset, that improved things quite a bit.
I honestly not sure what is the situation with Reverb and if it's using onboard on external BT.

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough but the frustrations were with all Odysseys,.not just the original.

On top.of tracking the WMR hand controls are ergonomically bad and not remotely something any room scale gamer would want to use.

I considered the Vive wands bad and the WMR hand controllers are worse.

The Oculus controllers are excellent for gaming and by all accounts the Index controllers are taking things to the next level.

I have trouble believing any room scale gamer would be happy with the WMR handsets.

Weren't you the one who shared a link showing how you could uses base stations and compatible hand controllers? Why would anyone go to that trouble if the WMR

• Deleted member 197115

Like I said, don't have hundreds of hours in room scale. Perhaps 50 or so, it just doesn't interest me that much after typical initial VR wow excitement. But my personal experience was pretty positive, except bow and arrows thing, so I don't see Sebastian's stream as BS.

I do. I will amend that by just saying he is lowering the bar as to what is acceptable performance. He has said that a GTX 970 and even lower GPU's are plenty to drive WMR headsets well. This is just indicative of his efforts to help sell headsets.

He was swinging his arms around in Beat Saber. That is NOT a high precision game and your hands are out in front of you the whole time.

I have about 400 hours in room scale games, about 160 in flight cockpit games and about 150 in car sim games although that last number is growing faster lately. This is since the end of November 2017. Lately I'm about 50:50 between room scale and racing sims.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Quite impressive "imprecise" slicing here.
Guess bad dancers always find things to blame.

Quite impressive "imprecise" slicing here.
Guess bad dancers always find things to blame.

Have you spent any time in Beat Saber?
As long as the latency is good enough you are pretty well set. It is absolutely not a game that requires precise tracking.

I can get through Expert is most games without missing a beat. i can't say that about Expert +, but it's not a tracking issue. I simply make one mistake, get flustered and take a second or two to reset. No excuses here. It's all me.

Last edited:
Let me explain this so this Beat Saber thing doesn't go on forever.

In Beat Saber the blocks are right there in front of you. In addition you are welding a light saber that visually shows you exactly where it is relative to the blocks that are right in your face.

So even if the tracking is way off you can see where the blade is and compensate for it easily. Everything is moving fast enough that you would never notice any small drift or tracking issues unless it was a seriously large issue.

As long as the latency is good enough to handle large hand motions you have all of your bases covered.

• Deleted member 197115

Have you spent any time in Beat Saber?
As long as the latency is good enough you are pretty well set. It is absolutely not a game that requires precise tracking.

I can get through Expert is most games without missing a beat. i can't say that about Expert +, but it's not a tracking issue. I simply make one mistake, get flustered and take a second or two to reset. No excuses here. It's all me.
No idea, honestly, what "precise" game you are playing or what precision means to you.
Played some VR shooters, the only genre that interest me outside of sim racing and controller tracking was all right as well as aiming.
You have 150 hours in all car sims combined, mind posting break down, always curios on what VR racing games people prefer.
I have clocked about 1500 hours in AC alone, not all of them in VR of course, but I haven't touched AC flat screen since getting Odyssey, guess it's about a year or so.
BTW, what good VR titles with campaign or at least some PVE action would you recommend for COD, Division, Destiny player that are not just dumb wave shooter.

PS. Isn't it like night in UK, why up?

So basically since WMR isn't the bees knees for hand tracking you are setting up your arguement for how there is nothing worth playing in room scale anyway.

You've made it clear you don't see anything worth playing in room scale and I'm not about to try to change your mind.

Last edited:
PS. The reason is that I'm in the Turks and Caicos with my wife exploring their barrier reef this week. We had thunder storms today. I also live in the same time zone as here in the US. I've never been to the UK.

Had some really good fresh conch yesterday.
20190607_103248.jpg

I'm taking its shell home with me.

20190608_085006.jpg

20190607_105720.jpg

I didn't bring an underwater camera with me or I would have much better pictures to share.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

So basically since WMR isn't the bees knees for hand tracking you are setting up your arguement for how there is nothing worth playing in room scale anyway.

You've made it clear you don't see anything worth playing in room scale and I'm not about to try to change your mind.
Not sure how you got that from my post? Prejudice is a powerful thing indeed. :O_o:
What hotel are you staying, I spent few weeks last fall in Beaches with family there. It was all right, kids loved it.

I'm at the Seven Stars and have been having a great time.

It's a lot easier here during the off season. Other than the Coco Bistro you can pretty well walk into any resturant without a reservation or get them the same day. All the excursions are easily booked at almost the last minute.

Sorry you only came away with an OK time. I'm having a much better experience.

Then again when it is only adult time involved that tends to change the tone a bit. I love my children, but also love having adult time.

Well good night for now.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Ha-ha, sure, have fun, enjoy the sun, post less. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

I'm expecting the Reverb will have the slight edge for me over the Index.

3 reasons
- Highest Resolution
- Headset style resembles the oculus one
- Over ear audio
- No light house 2.0 EMI issues

But like mentioned before, not all "reviews" we have seen are completely unbiased. The only way to really judge is, is to try yourself.

I currently use the Oculus CV1 without a facial interface and have it hanging in front of my face without touchting it. I'm expecting the special bracket i made for the CV1 to fit for the reverb with none or almost none modification.

The Index will require some more adjustements and trial and error the achieve the save result, also the Index will need adapters to make the audio over ear to overcome the noise of the motion. Finally the Index also needs mouting points for the light houses.

Yes i ordered 2 light houses, because like with the Pimax and the Valvve Pro, there's a change that the Index will be troubled with EMI tracking issues. So i'm saying the second light house will solve that, but at least i will have it in stock, to give it a try.

In short it will be a lot of work to get the Index working to my liking, but if it's the better headset, no problem it will be worth it.

I have been waiting for 3 years for a meaningfull upgrade.
These impressions sound super promising, dang and the thing is sold out everywhere.

Yep, sounds good already!
- virtually no SDE they say :)
- audio appears to be even better than the Rift CV1
- it's very small and light, comparable or better than Rift CV1
- not a lot of space for glasses...
- FOV seems to be 84 degrees
- getting 90fps is doable with 1080Ti in iRacing
Sounds like a great HMD for simracing.. will be getting it soon when it's darn available again..

Last edited:
I still think the Reverb will be the one for me but it is a little concerning to see these early faults appearing. I'm kinda glad they were out of stock when I was just about to bite.

Gonna watch how this plays out over the next couple of months.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 479 70.0%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 290 42.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 316 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 143 20.9%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 185 27.0%
Back