Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Currently I have the iRacing MSAA setting maxed out. I could back this setting off and see what happens. I've already found that SS in SteamVR is ignored when VRSS is enabled.

It appears that enabling VRSS disables SS. I tried turning my SS down to 100% and up to 500% with VRSS turned on and there was no change in GPU load.

And yes this is a lot more than SS going on. Everything looks sharper but MUCH better in terms of aliasing artifacts.

They did a good job with it. It looks better all around.

Once you edit that setting that enables a custom application to run VRSS, the option will start to show up normally in the NVidia 3D settings.

That's weird. I tried Boneworks with VRSS on adaptive and 100% SS and 500% and there's definitely difference in GPu load and performance - when set to 500% it is stuttery mess as expected.
In addition if I turn off the VRSS and run 140% SS I have constant 80fps while if it's on the fps drops bellow 80 while moving fast or in graphically intense areas. And that's even when I use 100% SS. I have 2070S.

Panasonic UHD VR

1.JPG

I'm still on the fence. I think I generally like it, but I've found in the more advanced screens that In Death starts having trouble keeping up.

iRacing, which I manually over rode to make VRSS work has a major improvement in anti-aliasing especially noticeable on the digital dashes and track side fences which typically shimmer like the shadows on PC2. Once again there is a bit of a performance penalty. I haven't played with it in almost a week. Family things.

I haven't tried it in PC2. I'd be curious how the shadows looks on the Pimax and Index that @Miguel Batista was testing with.

I'm still on the fence. I think I generally like it, but I've found in the more advanced screens that In Death starts having trouble keeping up.

iRacing, which I manually over rode to make VRSS work has a major improvement in anti-aliasing especially noticeable on the digital dashes and track side fences which typically shimmer like the shadows on PC2. Once again there is a bit of a performance penalty. I haven't played with it in almost a week. Family things.

I haven't tried it in PC2. I'd be curious how the shadows looks on the Pimax and Index that @Miguel Batista was testing with.
I haven't tried them with VRSS yet. But shadows even maxed out on pcars pro look terrible. Full of jagged edges because their shadow map is tiny. So as you upscale resolution you get more and more aliasing artifacts. This is with msaa in medium and full resolution in pimax (3000 something x 1400 something per eye).

Shadows and reflection shimering really drag the game down which is a shame as you can see the terrain reflection on the cars in front of you and not really be at performance limits with a 2070 Super or 2080.

I haven't tried them with VRSS yet. But shadows even maxed out on pcars pro look terrible. Full of jagged edges because their shadow map is tiny. So as you upscale resolution you get more and more aliasing artifacts. This is with msaa in medium and full resolution in pimax (3000 something x 1400 something per eye).

Shadows and reflection shimering really drag the game down which is a shame as you can see the terrain reflection on the cars in front of you and not really be at performance limits with a 2070 Super or 2080.

What I'm saying is that VRSS DRAMATICALLY reduces the jagged edges and shimmering. I think it should make a pretty big difference in PC2.

OK, so the 8K and 8K+ are being sent the exact same resolution as the 5K+, but they are uprezzing for their panels. I have to admit the 8K+ does look clean and the fact it can push 120 fps is also impressive.

All you early adopters, enjoy!

OK, so the 8K and 8K+ are being sent the exact same resolution as the 5K+, but they are uprezzing for their panels. I have to admit the 8K+ does look clean and the fact it can push 120 fps is also impressive.
Sure it does! But so do the 5K+ maybe less so in comparison but Then in a few weeks/ months the 8K X will look a little dated next to the new 'wunderkind'.
I am a little more excited about this one from Pimax.
On the Pimax site is clams 170 FOV
Still with room scale it will be same price as Index but for sitting VR it might be a great unit?

I like seeing the progress. Eventually we will have a good full solution that will be worth upgrading to. The Index is so comfortable and works so well I'll waiting for a pretty substantial jump before I change up.

I can confirm that vrss set to adaptive, steamvr ss set to 100%, iRacing shows noticeably improved clarity and basically no jaggies or shimmering at all. It can be hard to maintain 120 fps with a big grid, so I moved down to 90. I have all my in game iRacing settings basically maxed. This was a big improvement for me.

I'm on a 2080ti and Index.

• Deleted member 197115

I can confirm that vrss set to adaptive, steamvr ss set to 100%, iRacing shows noticeably improved clarity and basically no jaggies or shimmering at all. It can be hard to maintain 120 fps with a big grid, so I moved down to 90. I have all my in game iRacing settings basically maxed. This was a big improvement for me.

I'm on a 2080ti and Index.
So you had to drop SteamVR SS?

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Watch party

Votes: 5 10.2%