PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

I hate iRacing physics, not real, it's like learning to drive again. And because i only play MP it doesn't mean it can't have AI races or career mode for other people, it's just not for me...
I felt the same as you last year, I got back into it last month and after 100+ laps it all just sorta clicked and now I always finish in the top 5. It does in fact feel very real after you get into it properly and I personaly don't see it as a game anymore.

If it's any consolation, I race spec Miata in real life so it's a statement I don't make lightly. Also, I'm an average racer at best in games (Forza, GT, AC, etc) but in IRacing I'm frequently in the front. The exp I have in real world racing is a limitation in "games" but is an advantage in IRacing... But I've only raced the Miata Cup...

I could add a lot more context to my points but this isn't an IRacing thread.

I have experience in real life racing too and for many years now, i've quitted iRacing last month ;)

And if it's important i'm usually on top 3 in other simulators, in iRacing i've win lots of races too, it's a question of "feeling" which in iRacing case it's not right for me, of course...

Hi Andy

I've quitted mainly because physics are not realistic for me, it's not because it's difficult/hardcore that is real, if you know what i mean...

I also only like road racing and i got 2 licences above rookie (not sure which it was) but as soon as i stated that i had to spend more money on content i've quitted...

I felt the same as you last year, I got back into it last month and after 100+ laps it all just sorta clicked and now I always finish in the top 5. It does in fact feel very real after you get into it properly and I personaly don't see it as a game anymore.

If it's any consolation, I race spec Miata in real life so it's a statement I don't make lightly. Also, I'm an average racer at best in games (Forza, GT, AC, etc) but in IRacing I'm frequently in the front. The exp I have in real world racing is a limitation in "games" but is an advantage in IRacing... But I've only raced the Miata Cup...

I could add a lot more context to my points but this isn't an IRacing thread.

It's really good to hear this, as a former racer (mostly SCAA spec races and nothing high up) because when I first got my console, I thought "Ok, time to teach these 'racers' a lesson or two." Of course, I got absolutely crushed. Better now, but still struggle. I have often thought, like you, that gaming experience is more valuable than racing experience. But also glad to know that there is something out there (which I can't afford at the moment) that is closer to the real thing, seemingly. I've noticed that I'm much better even on Forza5 than Forza4 and I hope that trend continues with pCARS. However, at this point it's hard to know whether the gaming experience is kicking in or the racing experience is helping as the games progress from almost total arcade (Forza4) to more SIM like (pCARS).

Is it just me, or does the current "cockpit" view, in many cars, seem as if you are sitting in the back seat?
This effect does not happen on all cars, and I was wondering (for us console players who are largely stuck without mods) is this a problem you (the community) have noticed or is this just a setting this particular user has distorted (e,g, the ability to move seat position) or maybe fixable with a setting to be found in the game itself?
Thanks.

Apologies, but us poor console users aren't used to this level of control.
Go into options and you can change the FOV settings (under camera settings) for each view. Go here first and find out your FOV by measuring your sceen and distance to it (shows you on the page what to measure) http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ This should give you a realistic FOV figure for your screen and seating positon. This is the FOV figure you want to put for the cockpit view in Camera settings.
In controller settings there is an option to assign buttons/keys to adjust the view on the fly. Can't remember what it is called (it's not listed as FOV) as I'm away from my PC but it gives an option to increase and decrease the view.

Is it just me, or does the current "cockpit" view, in many cars, seem as if you are sitting in the back seat?

[...] have noticed or is this just a setting this particular user has distorted (e,g, the ability to move seat position) or maybe fixable with a setting to be found in the game itself?
Thanks.

@Robert Waddell,

What distance (in cockpit view) do you prefer? Or does that depend on the sim? For instance, some of friends prefer a wide angle view and a "seated up front" position in iRacing but on NKP or rF they tend to adopt a narrow angle FOV and a normally positioned view just
behind the wheel.

@Robert Waddell,

What distance (in cockpit view) do you prefer? Or does that depend on the sim? For instance, some of friends prefer a wide angle view and a "seated up front" position in iRacing but on NKP or rF they tend to adopt a narrow angle FOV and a normally positioned view just
behind the wheel.

Well, the thing with games on a console is that there is usually just one screen as an option to start (can be a TV or monitor) but I have yet to come across any game that allows you to adjust your seating position. The first one that had two different positions, sort of, was Shift2 by Slightly Mad...Helmet Cam and cockpit, but you could not adjust either. Recently, GRID Autosport has a close (dash) cam and a "cockpit" cam. Neither are very good sometimes, because I personally don't get a sense of realism driving over the dash, but the converse is that the "Cockpit" view is so obstructed (which of course does sometimes happen, especially in prototype racing, but with no real looks to apex feature, it's just too crowded. pCARS will be the first to allow all of this. Personally, I prefer something like this:
I'm 6'2" so I don't mind being a little higher up. But for instance, F1 2013, the view is stretched waaaay back into the cockpit, I suspect, so that they could get the mirrors in, since you can't turn your head. The Helmet cam was a nice try in Shift2, but with the blur and the drastic movement left and right, I could never get used to it. Something like helmet view w/o the helmet and the ability to adjust the apex tilt, would be idea. Oh, and the camera shake. I think this may be in there. Fingers crossed all this makes it into the console version.

Much I dislike parts of it, have to say that a certain FOV (sort of) setting in GT5 was perfect on a 32'' flat TV. The dash and cockpit do not obstruct much and you get a low enough FOV. Actually, pretty similar to the video in your post.

Never liked the "dash" cam either - seems like a return to the days of old with GT without any cockpit structure. Cam blur - I tend to avoid it also.

Like you I also tend to "sit" a little higher (I'm 1.91m) but tend to prefer a low FOV - even with iRacing, even at the cost of losing those mirrors in single seaters.

One thing that is popping up more and more in simracing circles is Occulus Rift and the like. A fad or a step towards ST-TNG holo-deck? ;)

Go into options and you can change the FOV settings (under camera settings) for each view. Go here first and find out your FOV by measuring your sceen and distance to it (shows you on the page what to measure) http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ This should give you a realistic FOV figure for your screen and seating positon. This is the FOV figure you want to put for the cockpit view in Camera settings.
In controller settings there is an option to assign buttons/keys to adjust the view on the fly. Can't remember what it is called (it's not listed as FOV) as I'm away from my PC but it gives an option to increase and decrease the view.

This calculator is useless. It recommends me 20 degrees of FOV or a sitting distance 45 cm from my 42" TV, lol.

The best FOV for me is seeing a bit of a side-view mirror and 3/4 of rear-view mirror. Like the vid 2 posts up, but a bit closer to the dash. I find most players post vids with this kind of FOV, another example:

This calculator is useless. It recommends me 20 degrees of FOV or a sitting distance 45 cm from my 42" TV, lol.

The best FOV for me is seeing a bit of a side-view mirror and 3/4 of rear-view mirror. Like the vid 2 posts up, but a bit closer to the dash. I find most players post vids with this kind of FOV, another example:

FOV is pure math, there's nothing to dispute against the result you get, a correct FOV means objects in the game assumes a correct size and distance in relation to where you sit. That does not mean it's gonna be useable at 10 feet from the couch, that would after all equate to you sitting in the backseat driving the car no matter what FOV you run.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 418 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 262 43.5%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 284 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.9%
Back