Leo Bodnar BBI32 - How to use the connectors?!

To cut it short, how the hell do I use these connectors on the board?! I’ve been prototyping some ideas and thought it was best to get these ‘easy connectors’ but I cannot get a single wire to hold within these connectors. Does anyone have any advice/ experience using these? How much wire should I have exposed?
(I’m using 20awg, stranded wire if that helps?)

I don't have direct experience with that board, but I have used the push-in-terminal blocks in other projects. They tend to work best with single core wire. When using stranded, I usually have had to press in the release tab whilst inserting the wire as otherwise it won't be able to push the internal strip back on it's own

Upvote 0
Soldering is a skill that is acquired over time and experience, Im not sure what you mean by "cannot get a single wire to hold within these connectors"

But for what its worth, 20awg cable is SUPER overkill. Snap a picture of what your working with.

Upvote 0
I don't have direct experience with that board, but I have used the push-in-terminal blocks in other projects. They tend to work best with single core wire. When using stranded, I usually have had to press in the release tab whilst inserting the wire as otherwise it won't be able to push the internal strip back on it's own
Yeah, I assumed it was tended more for single core wire. The stranded wire is becoming untwisted way too easily and just comes out. I was thinking about tinning the end of the wire but I know that’s bad practice. What do you reckon?

Upvote 0
Soldering is a skill that is acquired over time and experience, Im not sure what you mean by "cannot get a single wire to hold within these connectors"

But for what its worth, 20awg cable is SUPER overkill. Snap a picture of what your working with.
Hi mate;
Its not a soldering issue, it’s like a push in terminal connector. I’ll send a photo in the morning but this is the board I mean

Upvote 0
IIRC tinning is not ideal for screw connectors as the joint eventually becomes loose, but the way the push-in ones work you should be fine, since the wire is held in via a sprung tab, so it will alway be under pressure

Upvote 0
Hi mate;
Its not a soldering issue, it’s like a push in terminal connector. I’ll send a photo in the morning but this is the board I mean

Ahhh that makes much more sense now, Imo no you do not want Solid Strand wire, If i recall, you press on the little button, Insert the wire and let go of button, But imo your 20awg might be too thick to make that happen, But i dont see why you cant seem to get them to work,

Agreed with Geeky, In general terms For Screw/Pinch style terminals you dont want a Pre tinned lead as Over time and pending the load on the cable, that Pre tinned lead can change shape and cause very small arching on the connector which obviously isn't good.

IF you cant get the wires in due to super soft Copper strands, Try a tinned end, Im sure it'll be fine eh.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 485 69.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 298 42.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 320 45.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 149 21.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 190 27.1%
Back