Michael Schumacher

I'm thinking the fact that heard nothing since this morning is at least in some way good news.That means he is in a stable situation and hopefully starts recovering a bit, but I'm no doctor.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.sport1.de/de/formel1/formel1_fahrer/artikel_826358.html
------------------------------------------------------------
german said:
Wie beurteilen die Ärzte die Situation?

"Kritisch, nicht stabil". Sie geben keine Prognosen ab über den weiteren Verlauf und sagen:
"Wir versuchen, Zeit zu gewinnen."
Schumachers grundsätzlich gute körperliche Verfassung könne beim Kampf ums Überleben von Vorteil sein.

english said:
How are the doctors assessing the situation?

"Critical, not stable". They make no prediction for the further development and are saying:
"We are trying to gain time."
Schumacher's good physical condition could be an advantage in his fight for survival.

Gary Hartstein, Former F1 Doctor writes,

First off, this press conference was rather more reassuring than what I expected. I’ll admit that I feared an announcement of a second operation for persistently elevated intracranial pressure (ICP), and the fact that that’s not been needed is good.

So what do we know now? We know that besides keeping Michael deeply asleep, they’ve also slightly lowered his body temperature. This is part of the strategy to optimise the brain’s metabolic state. Along with increasing the delivery of “good stuff” to the brain, reducing the temperature reduces the brain’s need for stuff. Therefore the supply:consumption relation is rendered more favorable.

We’ve’ been told that Michael has bilateral lesions. This mean the brain is wounded in both hemispheres. That shouldn’t surprise us. This was a hard hit. What kind of “lesions”? While we haven’t been told exactly, we can assume a mix of three types. First, the hematoma itself. This is a collection of blood that can be evacuated. That’s been done, and Michael will be examined and scanned regularly in order to detect the formation of any new hematomas, or re-accumulation of the original one.

Next are contusions. These are basically black-and-blue marks in the brain. They result from blunt forces, and consist of areas of swelling and blood that’s seeped out of the vessels into the tissues – just like when you hit your arm. In the brain, as elsewhere, that blood gets absorbed, and the damage heals. Usually fine, but sometimes leaving small cavities behind.

The third type of lesions are at the microscopic level. They consist of damage to the bundles of “cables” (axons) connecting groups of brain cells. This type of damage isn’t readily visible using standard imaging, but is often associated with “poor neurological outcome”. These lesions aren’t treated specifically; rather, they are managed by classic neuro intensive care principles – maximise brain happiness and avoid brain unhappiness.

Source: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

His twitter: https://twitter.com/former_f1doc

I'm thinking the fact that heard nothing since this morning is at least in some way good news.That means he is in a stable situation and hopefully starts recovering a bit, but I'm no doctor.

I pray, may your words be heard and pronounced by God!!!

There will not be any updates until tomorrow european time. So, time to try to do something else for the people who feel deeply affected by this, get the mind off for a little while.

That's my Pinky Top Tip :)

Tony Belli, a consultant neurosurgeon and reader in neurotrauma at Birmingham University, said that Schumacher's age, fitness and psychological strength would help his recovery. "He's got a lot of factors in his favour," he said. "He's more likely than not to make a good recovery, despite all the concerns that have been raised.

"From the description of his injuries, it will take weeks, even months to recover, but I do expect him to make a good recovery."

Most positive thing I've seen so far, I'm praying to god he doesn't have any lasting damage.

Most positive thing I've seen so far, I'm praying to god he doesn't have any lasting damage.

Yup, also Gary Hartstein, who worked together with Sid Watkins for 7 years in the Medical car, and then took over for the Prof. in 05 also saw more positive than negative in the press conference.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/#comments

Dusko: Nothing have publicy changed since earlier this day. As I said, there will be no more info until the 31st, local time. So, not matter what you read, it will only be speculations. And remember, tragedy sells better than a more conservative newsstory!

From the information the doctors have given us so far, It's a positive one in terms of him surviving, however It's unknown what the future reprocussions of this incident may be for his health.

All my thoughts are with this man, hope to see him back to good health or the closest possible to his original form. Shame he was reduced to this unfortunate state by a rock and not by a race car

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 300 34.8%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 242 28.0%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 160 18.5%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.8%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 23 2.7%