Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

OK, it's 2023 and the gauntlet is down.

Any bets on how long it takes for me to break down and modify my rig?

Picture below was before I played any video games at all and was all about my RC Helicopters. It would be another 4 years before I got my Rift CV1 and started playing Dirt Rally 1.0.
HappyNewYear2013.jpg

Last edited:
Not a gambler, but it's hard to imagine that pedal isolation for tactile is optimal for motion.
Planting seeds of discontent! You rabble rouser!

FWIW I'm pretty happy with how it all feels right now.

The only reason I could see redesigning my pedal deck would be to accommodate something like the new Simucube brake pedal. However, I'm not interested in being an early adopter of that technology.

I need to get more hours on what I've got.

Last edited:
That was fun! Started them in Beat Saber, then the beginning of Half Life Alyx, then Dirt Rally 2.0 in Finland, then iRacing at Road Atlanta in the Ferrari 488 GT2 EVO, then in DCS in the A-10 Warthog.

I should have gotten some video or at least a few pictures.

Last edited:
After having guests over to try out VR a few times, I've found a few things seem to work well.
  1. VR setup takes time so limit the number of guests at one time.
  2. No one likes to put on a sweaty VR headset especially if it is someone else's sweat.
    I have 3 Index facial interfaces and label them.
  3. Gloves add to the experience, but once again putting on someone else's sweaty gloves is gross for many. I have gloves in a few sizes other than mine.
  4. If they have never used VR before start them out in a room scale game like Beat Saber that lets them get used to being in VR without the possibility of nausea.

SimVRguests_8951.jpg

How do they compare with the originals for comfort? I love how the factory pads feel.
I must admit I have not used the Index, however I have used these on my Rift S and Reverb G2 and I found them both very comfortable. They are super thin and don't compromise the fit. Personally I prefer the silicone barrier vs sweat absorbing into the mesh material. I like it because I can just wipe it off vs having to wait for the material to dry out.

Rah Roh.... Looks sort of interesting....

It would make DCS much cooler in VR...

Damn, I'm not going to make it to the end of January am I ?

Last edited:
How cool!
The Leap motion fits in my Index's Frunk and I can plug it in with a small adapter :)

3.5 years and I can finally use my Frunk !!!!!! Love it!!!

1673560344510.png

I just need one of these micro USB to USB adapters :)
1673560452678.png

Credit where Credit is due! Link with this info below.

Last edited:
I've been in a tender loving relationship with my Valve Index from the beginning. If it had more resolution, I wouldn't even be looking at new headsets. But the resolution it has isn't bad. Yes, you can see the pixels, but I tend to look past that the moment things start moving.

With a 4090 I'm not seeing much in the way of reprojection or frame rate drops. I see 89-90 fps pretty much all the time with the G2.
After constant monitoring of 4090 restock sources I was able to get a water cooled 4090 today at retail price shockingly. Should receive it by Monday but I am hopeful this can help me make a transition to a more full time VR user.

Giving myself a pass on the Leap Motion since it isn't a part of my rig and is part of the VR system, just like I would a new immediately order a new VR headset and not consider that part of my rig.

For something that is only $110, I'll be very curious to see if the new software works as well as that video seems to imply. In the DCS VR Aviators group, one person says it's working well for him, and many people seem to have purchased one of these a while back and then wrote it off. A few of them are going to try again to see if the new software brings this device to life and makes it usable.

I did seriously look at that Grid wheel for formula use. I looked at the PSE and Ascher equivalents for comparison. In the end, I have no use for a wheel like that and it would just collect dust, so why bother?

My Leap Motion arrived today with the small USB adapters.
MagicLeap_8964.jpg

It does fit rather nicely in the frunk and fortunately the frunk has no ventilation holes. So this won't impact the ventilation I get with my fan that prevents any fogging.

The support this very lightweight device gets from the USB plug will be enough to test it out, but I think I should probably have a little additional support for it.
MagicLeap_8965.jpg

I'll play with my Leap Motion hand tracking for now. It appears that some people are working on ways to make Leap Motion work like Point Ctrl by building their own BT button boxes mostly because Leap Motion units are fairly cheap and readily available.

There is another device called Point CTRL that I've heard good things about and more information about it here. The main issue I've heard is long lead times to order.

That reminds me a bit of Knobster which is a product that only works on MSFS.

Basically people are trying to find better ways to easily interact with VR cockpit controls by finding a way to track your hands to select a control and then use a physical device to make changes to the selected cockpit control. That involves easily turning hand tracking on and off so you can use your HOTAS controls without anything happening you don't want.

------------

Next month it will be 4 years since I started this thread.

I have been on the waiting list for the Pro Sim H pattern hydraulic lockout for 2 year now, and I'm not holding my breath on that actually hitting production any time soon.

That is the only upgrade remaining that I would still be interested in.

My wife has even told me that she thinks it's time that I found a new project.

Last edited:

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 274 34.4%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 221 27.8%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 148 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 65 8.2%
  • At a friends house